PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-26-2011, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Chevy Maple Leaf?

Hi all this is a picture of the lorry my father drove while serving in Malaysia.I think she was a Chevrolet Maple Leaf but I'm not sure so
I was hoping someone could confirm the type of truck and also tell me if there is a model available of one anywhere.The picture was taken in 1946 or 47.
Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy Maple Leaf?-lady-luck.jpg  
Old 02-26-2011, 05:58 PM

A few more of my fathers photo's I thought might interest people.They include a Mack Transporter a Weasle Amphibian and even tall ships in Colombo Harbour.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy Maple Leaf?-mack-transporter.jpg   Chevy Maple Leaf?-dad-2.jpg   Chevy Maple Leaf?-dadtruck.jpg   Chevy Maple Leaf?-dadtruck2.jpg   Chevy Maple Leaf?-truck-dump.jpg  

Chevy Maple Leaf?-colombo-40s.jpg  
Old 02-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Hi Phil. Great photo's - and yes, she is a Chevrolet Maple Leaf.... put it this way, if she isn't, then she's a damn fine replica Don't know if there's a model available, perhaps a design request is in order if not Love the other photographs too, you cherish these for sure my friend.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:21 PM

Thanks Pete I was pretty sure but wanted it confirmed.She's the Lady Luck,my brother has the horseshoe and teddy off the front of her and I would like to build a replica of the lorry then steal erm be given secretly the mascot to display with it.
I have quite a few photo's that my father took there if people are interested I could post more.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixergs View Post
Thanks Pete I was pretty sure but wanted it confirmed.She's the Lady Luck,my brother has the horseshoe and teddy off the front of her and I would like to build a replica of the lorry then steal erm be given secretly the mascot to display with it.
I have quite a few photo's that my father took there if people are interested I could post more.
You're welcome. What you need to do is ask very nicely and a wee bit of grovelling may be in order to one of our in house "anything with wheels on it designers" - There's one who's name slips my mind at present - but if he looks in here, i am sure he'll chime in. Always interested in seeing Photographs, especially ones which hold a meaning to the owner - Memories and photo's to boot...
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2011, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Great picts that your dad took. Sorry I can't help with designing the Maple Leaf for you, but I can say that I'd like to see more photos if you have the time.

Historical images like that are always interesting to look at and get diorama ideas from;-)

Thanks,
SFX
Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Hi SFX glad you like the photo's and no worries about designing the lorry I've been more than lucky with models so I can't grumble about the lack of this one.I will keep hunting.I'm currently scanning lots of family photo's so I will put more up for you and anyone else that wanders by for a look.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 PM

A few quick scans.Apart from the DUKW I can't tell what they are or who is sitting in them. the Armoured cars may be Humbers I'm sure someone will know.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy Maple Leaf?-armoured-car.jpg   Chevy Maple Leaf?-armoured-car-2.jpg   Chevy Maple Leaf?-dukw.jpg   Chevy Maple Leaf?-truck.jpg  
Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
the last picture is a Dodge WC-51

Modelik has a model of it, reissued it in the last 18 months or so
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-28-2011, 03:08 PM

Thanks Rick I knew someone would know. My father was responsible for the recovery and disposal of military vehicles there and got to drive a lot of different vehicles but his main one was the Chevy "Lady Luck".
His wide experience of transport did cause the odd peace time problem,for example when his car wouldn't start he asked to borrow my brothers E-Type.When asked if he thought he could handle it the reply was, If you can drive and armoured car you can drive anything. As the Jag disappeared in a cloud of tyre smoke and the sound of screaming receded in the distance to be replaced by the squeal of brakes leading to the sight of the slowest E-type in the world creeping up the hill followed by the sound of my father phoning work to say he had to fix his car we guessed that maybe you couldn't.