PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-28-2011, 04:16 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
America's last World War I veteran dies

An interesting article. Didn't realize that we were down to the last survivor. May he rest in peace and honor.

America's last World War I veteran dies - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.95 MB
The last sammy is dead

Frank Woodruff Buckles (February 1, 1901 – February 27, 2011) was one of the last three surviving World War I veterans in the world, and was the last living American veteran of the war.[4] At the time of his death, Buckles was also the oldest verified World War I veteran in the world, and the second-oldest male military veteran in the world.[5] Although not in the military at the time, Buckles spent the majority of World War II as a prisoner of war. After the world wars, he lived at Gap View Farm, in Charles Town, West Virginia, and was the Honorary Chairman of the World War I Memorial Foundation.

Pray for his soul

Valmy
Attached Thumbnails
America's last World War I veteran dies-200px-frank_buckles_ww1_at_16_edited.jpg   America's last World War I veteran dies-coquelicot.jpg  
Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
An interesting article. Didn't realize that we were down to the last survivor. May he rest in peace and honor.

America's last World War I veteran dies - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com
Hello Cmags

Sorry I didn't see your thread

Faithfully
Valmy
Old 03-01-2011, 02:23 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
No worries - I merged the threads into one. Thanks for posting your comments!
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 03-01-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
No worries - I merged the threads into one. Thanks for posting your comments!
Reaction in France

M Gerard Longuet, Minister of Defense and Veterans Affairs, was shocked to learn of the death of Mr. Frank Buckles, the last American veteran of World War I, died at age 110.

Born in Missouri in 1901, Frank Buckles was immediately volunteered to go to the front when the U.S. entered the war in April 1917. Unable to join the Marine Corps and U.S. Navy because of his age too young (he was 16 at the time), he managed to enlist in lying about his age and send them to Europe. He served as an ambulance in the United Kingdom and France for the first detachment of wounded from Fort Riley. After the Armistice of 1918, he was commissioned to extend the German prisoners in Germany, where it remained parked until 1920 ending with the rank of corporal. During the Second World War he was captured as a civilian by the Japanese in the Philippines. He remained a prisoner of war for over three years.

Awarded the Medal of the victory of the First World War Medal and the occupation army, he was awarded the Gold Medal of Merit of the "Veterans of Foreign Wars."

In February 1999 he received the Legion of Honor from President Jacques Chirac at a ceremony in Paris.

Through the tribute to this courageous man, a patriot and love of ideals, the Minister of Defense and Veterans salute the memory of the four million Americans who fought alongside France during the First World War . He paid tribute to those anonymous actors of unwavering Franco-American friendship, a friendship forged in the common struggles for freedom and democracy.
Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Now for the US, the great war really only exist in history...

Peace be with him
Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Canada's last WW I veteran, John Babcock, passed last year at 109 years old. In some ways their stories are very similar. Canada's last WW I veteran dies - Canada - CBC News

When asked what lessons this generation should take from the First World War, Babcock had a simple reply.

"I think it would be nice if all the different people in the world could get along together so we weren't having wars. I don't suppose that'll ever happen, though."

Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Sad thing is the wars haven't ended. He volunteered under-age! Like Audie Murphy, a personal hero of mine.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
God rest his soul, he lived to see all the changes people in that era only could dream about. from the birth of flight to the space shuttle,, telegrapghs to G4 cell phones and the world wide web
God bless him and lest we forget the WW2 vets
"Rest in peace thou good and noble faithful soldier"