PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-26-2008, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Gil. Leif, Terry, yup, that's it! I'm using the plans from an old issue of Finescale Modeler. I scanned them a couple of years ago, and actually started on it then. Then last year, I worked on it a bit more, but lost it in a disk crash. After I assembled my first YRB-49 test build, I noticed too late that I had included too much dihedral in the build (though not on my drawings), I thought "where did I get the idea that was right?" Then I remembered the Mars Lander I had started before, and returned to it. I was originally only going to make the lander itself, but decided to attempt the "Interplanetary Drive Section" as well. Since I made a couple of design errors on the other wing, I worked on the first test build of the Mars wing yesterday and today instead. I'll have to start another design thread when I get time, but meanwhile, here's my progress so far.

BTW, it never dawned on me that I was doing this at the same time as the Phoenix Lander was due to touch down until after I heard that it had landed successfully! Must be my subconscious was telling me to do it now .

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
Whatizzit?-fore-2.jpg   Whatizzit?-aft-2.jpg  
Old 05-26-2008, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great idea for a model, Scott K. and good job picking it out Gil!

Terry
Old 05-27-2008, 05:01 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
The Lower Hudson Valley paper giftshop has this one;
http://jleslie48.com/braunmodel_spaceplane.pdf
Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 214.95 MB
Billy,
The model at the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center is the third stage of Wernher von Braun's Ferry Rocket. It is his 1952 vision for a Space Shuttle Orbiter. Jon Leslie has mislabeled it.

Bill Kastenmeier
Old 05-27-2008, 06:12 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Lasting Impression...,

I remember the Disney broadcasts. As an impressionable kid I was totally mesmerized by space, von Braun's vision of the future and the art of Disney to animate it to life. Many years later I was at Cape Kennedy in July 1969 to witness the launch of the first Lunar lander mission....,

+Gil
Google Adsense
Old 05-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
That's cool Gil. Unfortunately being born in 1971, the bulk of my space exploration memories are less cool and more tragic.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Those of us old enought to remember the Disney's series and the articles, etc. where really lucky. They gave us unlimited horizons to dream on. As dansls1 says with being exposed only to the later parts of space exploration with all its politics, lost opportunities and tragic losses what is out there now to inspire younger people and create dreams? Sorry if I'm getting a bit too metaphysical, worked real late last night and had to get up real early this morning; so brain is floundering around.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:16 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
An Interesting Find...,

Scott K.

Chesley Bonestell was the renowned space artist commissioned for the Collier's Magazine articles. The following URL is interesting from the perspective that he actually built what appears to be paper models of the vehicles!....,

http://www.bonestell.org/models1.html

Also the movie "Conquest of Space" has an interesting spaceship that looks suspiciously like the Willey Ley / Werner von Braun Mars concept. A clip is here:

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1186922777/

Also these were found amongst the ruins of the internet:

+Gil

Last edited by Gil; 05-31-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
I too remember this............ also the neat Sci-Fi moves all shot in black and white.............. When Worlds Collide was one of my favorites..............

Boy I sure did expect to be mining asteroids when 2000 rolled around..........or at least living on the moon or in a space station.

Missed the boat on those.......... where did we go wrong? Don't answer unfortunately I know :o

My Drawings
Old 06-01-2008, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Gil, that really IS an interesting site, Thanks! I didn't think to look up Chesley B., but should have. I did find the Conquest of Space clip, but at 47meg, it's a bit large for me to download via dialup at the moment.

I haven't had time to actually cut any more paper yet, but I hope to shortly. I'm about to take on the drive section and all those tanks . Hope this works! See my new thread, "To Mars in 1956!" for more details later.

Scott K.
Google Adsense