PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post

If this has no application in the US my apologies for writing tripe.
Barry, you are incapable of writing tripe!

Scott K, if you have any "High End hotels, go there, turn on the "empathy", and go for it, you want a job at the Front Desk. It is one of your biggest assets and one that is sorely missing these days. I did job counseling when I worked for the Federal Bureau of Prisons, (talk about hard job placement), but employers looks for maturity over immaturity (i.e., college kids), they look for someone who will want to make customers return. I would also recommend trying your local Honda Dealership and see if you can get in as a Tech Writer. They take in the cars for the service department. My brother in law is the Manager of on of the largest dealers by volume in the NorthEast. A nice smile, empathy, allegiance, and showing up every day are the top attributes, Those guys make around $65K a year too, FYI. Start with Honda and work your way down. Just some more ideas.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:34 AM

ill throw in a few more cents worth here - agree with Barry practical hands on skills are very transferable and doing odd jobs whilst not steady can certainly help ease the stress and there is always some demand for willing hands for odd jobs. and the other thing i want to say is when you go to interviews be positive and confident - you must present a good vibe. whether you tell them of how and why you parted with your last job is up to you but it doesnt need to be something to be scared or embarrassed or other about. for some employers it may be an issue - its prolly good to not be working for them. for others your ability to pick up and move forward and present with confidence will be a plus. be brave, be bold, be strong. dont let the knockbacks get you down - as you say there are plenty of others going for the jobs so when they say no to you it may be that you were second, ahead of a lot of others.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
I have another idea that a couple of friends of ours threw out.......they work as Medical Transcribers. You have a computer, all you need is to find out if there are jobs available transcribing medical documents from doctors offices. My friends get paid by the page, so if you type fast you can get paid very well. Though the downside, you'll be in front of a computer all day at home.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
Just did a quick calc and currency conversion and over here in the UK it's even worse for fuel with approx. $10 dollars getting you only one gallon of petrol (less if you want diesel)

Scott, I feel for you. I hope things work out for you. Keep strong and think of the light at the end of the tunnel, these aren't just hollow words as I'm experiencing some major family issues at the moment, but the end is in sight.

You take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keds_Girl_Lala View Post
It may not make a big difference. But I know a lot of people now have the same kind of situations. The times is so hard for people now that many struggle. So it may feel lonely but you are not alone there. At the store I work in I see people buy 1 or 2 gallon of gas only because they have just $5 or $10. Tomorrow they do not know. and it is not just here or there but all over the world. I know our income now it is down more than 70% in a few years time. I walk or take my bike to work at night in the convenience store to earn more for my child and household.

But people they survive things. It is how people live over thousands of years of adversities. So it will pass again for you. I hope it is soon. And it is good to hear your mother in law is a bit more improved.

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 05-20-2011, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Scott

I was in a similar position last week and things were looking pretty grim for a while...as others here have said, a positive approach despite any setbacks and seizing any opportunities, however small, that come along will really help...you never know where that key contact may come from so always present positively despite the stress in your head and the churning in your stomach...for me, it was a chance casual contact six months prior that bounced back as a positive opportunity and steady employment...
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2011, 02:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
From Bad to Worse

My wife's mother passed away last night. The expected friction among family members over money (she had no more) and the funeral arrangements has begun.

We still have no income. My car was finally reposessed last night, and we cannot afford either our own home or her mother's.

Net access will be cancelled soon, and I will probably have to sell my computers.

Take any jobs available? Well, I would, if my competition for the ones I qualify for weren't almost all younger and in better shape than I am. (I saw the gentleman waiting to interviewed after me for the position I was just turned down for).

Oh, well.

Scott K.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
My condolences. I've been where you're at. I am an artist working primarily as a janitor for1/3 what Iwas making.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Banned

Probate can take a long time to settle, a year at least sometimes. You may have more time than you think.

My condolences for your loss. I hope things improve for you. One way or the other, they will. It may be time for a move. If you do have some time, make the plan now. Network with friends and other family members. Leave no rock unturned.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Eternal Member

Well I have been looking for work now for four years hard to believe now it is four years and had a job in telesales for two weeks got let go because didn't make four sales in two weeks. that was the last job I had and only one in four years. Made worse by irish immigration laws where I have to be working for three months for my wife to join me from Nigeria. I can't work in Nigeria because well i am not in great health anyway and today i did end up in bed for hours after feeling really unwell when i got a letter from a loan company that said i borrowed money off them last week. I was in bed just wishing i was dead for a while then got a phone call from the loan company after all that stress and worry that i got the letter as an error. That error nearly gave me a heart attack really and maybe it did as i just don't feel any better now for three hours.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Ouch, doctormax, I hope you're feeling better by now, and it wasn't really what you suspected...

Now it even feels like Mother Nature is after us. I swear it looks like the approaching rain is about to take a "bite" out of this area...

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
Sorry, I just need to vent...-chomp.jpg  
Google Adsense