PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-18-2011, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Sorry, I just need to vent...

You know, life can really suck sometimes...

I had an interview a week ago yesterday. I tried to call for the results today, no response. (We''ll let you know in a week or so, one way or the other....). Guess i know what the answer is, eh?

I've been stayiing at my Mother-In-Law's home with my wife and kids (who have been staying there to care for her during her long "illness" (old age!). Today when I called home to check my messages, my machine did not pick up, only ringing. Lovely. when I went home to get my mail, feed my cats, and check my messages, I found I had had a visitor from the power company. Oh, no wonder the machine didn't pick up. Kind of hard to when the power's been shut off....

I got back to Grandma's. I called about the job and waited for the call back. A call came in from a number I didn't recognize, so I answered it. I wish I hadn't. To make a long story short, my car will be reposessed tomorrow, oh, goody! I can't drive it anyway, as the back brakes are gone, and the insurance lapsed 3 weeks ago, and, my registration is suspended.

On a somewhat more positive note, my M-in-law is doing better. She's been in hospital for going on 3 weeks now, and a few days ago was not expected to make it through the night. Well, she did, and is now responsive again, although too weak and/or medicated to speak much. Still, we'll take any improvement we can get.

Also, the sun is shining! For the first time all week, not for long though, because there's yet another band of showers headed this way. Oh, well.

Sorry for the sob story, I'll try to keep to paper subjects now. Anyone want to buy a Miles M.52 Gilette kit for, oh, a thousand dollars or so?

Scott K.
Google Adsense
Old 05-18-2011, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
It may not make a big difference. But I know a lot of people now have the same kind of situations. The times is so hard for people now that many struggle. So it may feel lonely but you are not alone there. At the store I work in I see people buy 1 or 2 gallon of gas only because they have just $5 or $10. Tomorrow they do not know. and it is not just here or there but all over the world. I know our income now it is down more than 70% in a few years time. I walk or take my bike to work at night in the convenience store to earn more for my child and household.

But people they survive things. It is how people live over thousands of years of adversities. So it will pass again for you. I hope it is soon. And it is good to hear your mother in law is a bit more improved.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Scott just try to take one day at a time. Keep the faith and things will work out. Think positive thoughts even when it feels like everything is falling apart around you. You will prevail.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
A white guy biking through Gary, IN to work at 3:30 AM is not conducive to my physical well being (I live 10 miles east of Gary)....so I will be spending the gas money....Good you can bike though, lala.

Scott, what kind of work are you looking for?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMORMAN View Post
A white guy biking through Gary, IN to work at 3:30 AM is not conducive to my physical well being (I live 10 miles east of Gary)....so I will be spending the gas money....Good you can bike though, lala.

Yeah, but if you got proficient at it, you could enter " Le Tour De France" ! I actually had the exact opposite problem. I used to "bike" (a motorcycle) from Ridgefield Ct. to Stratford. Connecticut, and when I just had started my new job (at Sikorsky), I was one of the first Americans having a Puerto Rican culture, and a tannish complexion that wasn't a house servant, living in Ridgefield. I got pulled over by the Police every day for around 2 weeks by the same 3 Cops. I informed Human Resources and it is amazing how the small town responds to a lawyer from United Technologies threatening a lawsuit for harassing one of their employees. The C.F.O. of Sikorsky's also happened to live in my town at the time, was very active politically. I never, in the 23 years I lived there got pulled over again. I also now am even more proficient on my motorcycle, as driving on Connecticut back roads (best in the country), "B@lls to the wall", will do that, or you die trying. I say, go for it Armorman!!!

@Scott K, take whatever job you can get, Home Depot, Target, whatever. It looks better on your Resume if you just keep working and you meet more people that way. It also gets you out of the house. Large gaps in unemployment don't look good, everyone is aware of the economy, and someone who is seen to keep working no matter what, will stand out. That helps a lot, especially when their are stacks a couple of hundreds deep for the same job.
Attached Thumbnails
Sorry, I just need to vent...-pedaling.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I know exactly what your're going through. I work for a temp agency, and I just got sent home because I wasn't needed. which means I get to choose between rent or food next week. I don't have to worry about a car, because I can't afford one. But people sure think I'm crazy for riding my bicycle 7 miles one way through rain and snow to get to work.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 PM

it is getting very tough for some people while many others are completely unaffected. i agree to try to get whatever work you can - most importantly to keep you and family fed and clothed. if you think your prospects are not looking good make hard decisions sooner rather than later. if you have skills that allow you to freelance or do some solo work get out there and sell yourself - keep putting yourself in front of people. good luck - i hope things improve for you soon.
and i hope something comes thru for you too Murphy.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Banned

I personally do not have any problem working for cash or under the table. Some may, too bad. Do what you have to do. Remember, if you work under the table, that person you are working for is saving a lot of money so do not sell yourself short.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Thanks all. I know there are far too many people with similar problems, but this stuff does get old fast. We usually manage to just get by, this time will hopefully be no different.

Armorman, I'll dust my bike off and ride it if I need to, assuming I can find something thats not 40 minutes away by car like my last job was. I've been looking for CAD work, but my last position in that was 9 years ago, so I'm probably considered unemployable in that field ever again. The bulk of the rest of my experience is in maintenance at nursing homes. I've got 19 years of that, off and on, over the past 29 years (14, 2, and 3 years). The problem with that is, although I like and greatly respect the elderly, watching so many people decline and pass away over so many years has been increasingly difficult. Now it appears to be my wife's mother's turn.

My biggest problem in finding work now (besides the many other competing for the same positions) is the way I lost my last job. I haven't found a way to sugarcoat the fact that I quit. I basically had a nervous breakdown and walked out (and spent the rest of the day in a hospital under a mental hygene arrest). My former boss has a whole host personal problems of his own, and neither of us were good at keeping them out of work, a place with plenty of its own headaches. Despite that, after I left, he still authorized a retroactive pay increase I had coming, since he knew I needed the money. I called to thank him, and he said I could count on a good reference from him (I tell prospective employers that, too).

I still have a few blessings to count on. My wife's car is paid for, and still runs (sort of). We still have her mother's home to stay in (probably going to lose mine). My son (22) has a part-time job that buys gas and a few groceries, and my daughter is a beautiful and talented (although she doesn't agree) 16-year-old. So its not all bad.

When I start to sell stuff,like my old p*****c collection, I'll ask people here first, in case there's anything anyone is looking for. (Anyone looking for a Revell 1/48 B-1? I think that may be going soon. Damaged box, but the contents are still ok).

I think I've rambled on about this enough for now.

Thanks again everyone for your kind words and thoughts.

Scott K.

ps: Murph, 7 miles each way?? Eek. I hope your weather is drier than ours! Maybe your model sales can buy you some food next week? I'd certainly buy some of them if I could.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

7 miles on a bicycle, everyday, you actually get used to that, and I bet Murph will live a lot longer for it.

I had to close down my T.V. shop for similar reasons. I had a clientele in an upscale town that just thought I should fix things for free. The could not understand I was not an extension of the various manufacturers. My last customer, I had to actually call the Police on her. I had dual lines and she called me every 15 minutes for over 30 hours (right thru the night) about a repair (the TV was fine, Comcast had problems because of Sunspots which affected the lower band), swearing, screaming, saying vile and foul things.,2nd day on a 90 day warranty! The Police finally went to her business and arrested her for harassing me. I closed shop the next day and became a stay at home Dad at the bequest of my wife, as my son was then 4 months old. I had never been so burned out by a group of people than the Residents of Ridgefield Ct.. I feel so much better now(mentally). That is priceless. I had around 200 customers that I fixed goods for till I finally just pulled the plug on the whole deal.

Your experience Scott, may serve will in rehab centers, with people who are recovering. Empathetic people are very hard to come by. They will fire people to hire you.
Google Adsense