PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.17 MB
Excuse but I do not quite understand. (maybe it's just my english)
Where is the porblem when someone designs a model that few people interrested?

Will then build all the same?

I think Olli is a very good Desingner of papermodels and still useable for my sake, he has designed a model that only a very few peopel interrested. Was that wrong?

He has that only a few people had made ​​a joy but I think where the joy is greater than he would have made a model of which there are very many.

Would it would be better if, for example, are only Tiger, Sherman and T34 as Papermodels available because most of them want to tank?

Is it wrong if someone creates in joy of the hobby one model and it will be made available even it is not perfect? (or someone forced to build it?)
Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebeltex View Post
i'll start by saying that this subject has likely been done, and yet, maybe not properly addressed. there is a whole sub-set of caring designers and modelers that try to support a "market" for what we do. i have seen, over the last decade, MANY people try to do the paper model art that i do. almost all fail, but it does not keep members begging for free stuff. guess what? i'm not being a cry baby. i've been designing and building paper models for over 30 years, doing the good stuff for, professionally, for almost 10.

it is NOT enough to design things few people want...
it is NOT enough to just design what YOU want...
it is NOT acceptable to design two or three models (and then quit) because it is too hard.
it is NOT proper to take money from customers, and then leave them unsatisfied (in any manner).

the paper model business, and the design process as a whole, requires dedication. short-term AND long term.

i don't care how good your designs are, if you cannot deliver consistently, over an indefinate period of time, you are NOT a commercial designer.

i do not pretend to be 100% perfect, but i will claim 98%.

i will encourage new designers and new techniques, but there should be SOME standard of excellence. the LAST thing i want to do (or see) is something like," o.k.... here are the REAL directions, corrected, for the model you paid good money for."
....OK, Since you've set the mark so high Mr. Fancy Pants, maybe you should start your own Papercraft Regulatory Commission.

Art
...oh by the way, since you are so committed to providing the buying public with variety beyond your own interests,...where's my Boeing 377? You've had over 30 tears of excellence to provide it. It's time to step up to to the plate sir. Also, it'd probably be a real good idea, (since you are only batting 98%), not to be so judgemental of the rest of us scumbag designers. It's a real big imperfect world out here...Learn a life lesson and get used to it.
Show some kindness and a wee bit more mercy....Your (somewhat valid) points will be much more favorably taken and recieved by the majority. If you really want to see the hobby move positively forward, encourage and commit to teach lesser designers...to blast them is to take two steps backward. Surely a man of your experience should realize that.

Last edited by Airliner Art; 07-24-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 AM

Having spent the last week trying to figger out the parts and placement on a kit the first standard should be part numbers and facing for every part in a kit. Near a fifth of the parts in the F-18 on the desk now have no part number or facing or placement guide. And thats english polish or drunk.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
I'll agree that many paper models do not have the best directions and there is inconsistency among even the same publisher, but who died and left him boss.
He bats at 98 percent? Arrogant a@@!

But decent directions are always appreciated. Let's start with all the PTA models. Those directions s@ck.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Well, I am busy with my second model commission, and I have to say, designing a model for a client is very different from designing for the community. In this regard the customer is always right, and if you deliver an inferior product, don't expect any more business from them.

Unfortunately there is no "school for commercial paper model design" that give out diplomas to designers.
Here's an idea, how about a thread where the commercial designers on this forum can add their comments and suggestions, so us "young" designers have a resource to tap and make sure we are ready before making a bad impression on the first client...
Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2011, 07:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
The papermodel market is already flooded with designs wanted by the many. I'm trying to carve out a niche in the not quite tapped market of the few. Why were the first ever O-2 Skymaster and O-10 Bronco cardmodels my feeble designs with poor instructions? You'd think a professional designer would have done them first(especially as easy as they were).
Old 07-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChild View Post
Well, I am busy with my second model commission, and I have to say, designing a model for a client is very different from designing for the community. In this regard the customer is always right, and if you deliver an inferior product, don't expect any more business from them.

Unfortunately there is no "school for commercial paper model design" that give out diplomas to designers.
Here's an idea, how about a thread where the commercial designers on this forum can add their comments and suggestions, so us "young" designers have a resource to tap and make sure we are ready before making a bad impression on the first client...
That's when enough is enough, isn't it? If you design for a commercial entity, and they accept your work and pay you, that's great! I also think the word design is a little, well, wouldn't "interpretation" be accurate (I was thinking miniaturized copy), I mean, 99% of models are of objects created by other people, or persons.

If you make a model to toss out to the plebiscite, we cheer, say bravo, then make it or not. Those who complain generally are ingrates, or just need to have works laid out in a manner that involves no fiddling about. Take a look at christine u's Voyager. She has turned the basic model into something that could be used on a TV show. How about Allen Tam's Savoia S-21, Ekuth's Rodger Young. This list goes on, Barry's Richelieu, and Agano, Silveroxide's simple line drawings that with his build pics, one could try and reproduce his works of art, AirDave's masterful repainting and artwork. Actually, as far as paper modeling goes, I guess there will never be enough!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
nebeltex's Directions ain't bad.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:30 AM

Too many rules. I would rather have fun.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
what rules?