PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
when is enough, enough?

i'll start by saying that this subject has likely been done, and yet, maybe not properly addressed. there is a whole sub-set of caring designers and modelers that try to support a "market" for what we do. i have seen, over the last decade, MANY people try to do the paper model art that i do. almost all fail, but it does not keep members begging for free stuff. guess what? i'm not being a cry baby. i've been designing and building paper models for over 30 years, doing the good stuff for, professionally, for almost 10.

it is NOT enough to design things few people want...
it is NOT enough to just design what YOU want...
it is NOT acceptable to design two or three models (and then quit) because it is too hard.
it is NOT proper to take money from customers, and then leave them unsatisfied (in any manner).

the paper model business, and the design process as a whole, requires dedication. short-term AND long term.

i don't care how good your designs are, if you cannot deliver consistently, over an indefinate period of time, you are NOT a commercial designer.

i do not pretend to be 100% perfect, but i will claim 98%.

i will encourage new designers and new techniques, but there should be SOME standard of excellence. the LAST thing i want to do (or see) is something like," o.k.... here are the REAL directions, corrected, for the model you paid good money for."
Old 07-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
It appears that good directions may be harder than a good model.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Enough is enough when you stop enjoying it. On either end, designing, building, appreciating, ogling. There are many facets to any hobby. Not all are known or appreciated at the same time. Some people who cannot build for whatever reason, because of their character, can thoroughly enjoy the work of others. Like all of the beautiful classic music that uses instruments not many can play, but create the music many can enjoy. You are allowed to create one great thing in life, even two or three, or many. Who cares about being labeled a commercial designer? If you don't have fun, then it isn't a hobby, it is a labor, and not one of love.

I've done prototype work for X-craft. Whoop dee do. I have had much more fun building paper models, most of the time, designing models that no one else will ever see, except my son. I would imagine that one should do what they do for their own edification, as then, you lead by example. Nobody like being shoehorned into someone else's standard.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
It appears that good directions may be harder than a good model.
Directions are the worst part, after tabs.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
LOL! Standard for paper modeling design now too? soooooo.......... being a substandard designer that I am, am I still allow to continue designing?
Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2011, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
LOL! Standard for paper modeling design now too? soooooo.......... being a substandard designer that I am, am I still allow to continue designing?
If your designs are substandard, What makes the cut? I follow your threads regularly and anxiously await the completion of your designs.

It would be impossible to impose ANY kind of standard on paper models or instructions. Some people will be able to build a model despite any poor design or undecipherable instructions. Some people couldn't build a model if it only required hitting 'print.'
Old 07-23-2011, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Well, I guess that's one opinion.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Well, I have 8 ships up in the free downloads in 1/72 or 1/250 scale and another another 20 up for sale over at Ecards. I also have three more ready to go up. All range from OK, to pretty good. I reckon enough will be enough when I run out of 1850s-1870s era warships to design. I have a ways to go. I make them for me first. Posting them in the free download section or over at card models is almost an afterthought. Most of my models are hard to find anywhere else, even in plastic. If they were readily available, I would buy them. That is why I have not done the Albemarle, the Virginia, or many of the Monitors. It is why I am working on the USS Essex, the Tyler, and the Hartford. I want them.

But then again, I ain't a professional designer. I just have fun making these things available, and if a few nice people toss a couple dollars my way in the proses, then that's great! And with the number of freebees available, one can sure experience my models before buying one.

That's not to say I do not have the greatest respect for those who do produce all the great commercial models out there. I just know that such detail and compound curves and so on, it is simply beyond my current skill level.

CT
Old 07-23-2011, 09:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Hey ct ertz. I just finished watching the History channel dvd on Secrets of Civil War. On the first disc "The most daring mission of civil war" talk about ironclad. I'm glad I picked that dvd up at Best Buy the other day. Have you seen that? Really good story.

oh, and thanks you much shawnr5.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.39 MB
*blink blink*

Not to put too fine a point on it, but...

WTF was that all about?????