PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

View Poll Results: Can a North American Print Shop survive focused on paper models?
Possible! 75 58.59%
Pipe Dream! 53 41.41%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Got three test prints in various stages, one on metallic stock with a digital offset press, one on a 2 color offset plus true silver print and one on a high end ink jet on metallic stock. I doubt if the metallic stock will pan out but I figured it might be worth seeing the print result with higher end printers than I have at home
Chris
Old 09-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Just curious, what was the result of the three test prints? Did the use of silver stock pan out the way you wanted it to?

I have not used silver paper yet in printing out any of my models, although for a few I have been tempted, like with an Atlas Mercury model, but I know from past posts the format of the image when using silver is often different from the format used to print out the model with, say, grey as the "silver" color of the model.

I would love to see what the three different print styles look like in comparison, particularly those using insignia or white areas.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 10-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Design Admin

Hey folks - sorry for the amazing lack of updates. I have poured a lot of time and energy into this endeavor. Results so far are very mixed. First it was actually incredibly difficult to find a printer that was willing to work with me on this project. I think most of them got scared away with the metallic printing need....

Printing on the silvered paper by the pro's is WAY better than I can do at home, the colors are actually fairly good and solid. but its a total waste because they still cant print the whites which is needed in almost every model. So thats out.

I actually got a few silver color samples from one place that has been very good to work with. Printed on my favored cardstock and everything! but it has no real shine. It looks like a dullish silver. It doesnt have the shine like a bare aluminum plane at all. I was looking through my silver metallic kits and it looks pretty much identical to the older (think 10-15 years old) kits. It shines if the light hits it right otherwise it looks like a slightly shiny gray.

My newer metallic kits that look nice a shiny like bare metal I see are nearly all printed on a glossy type cardstock so I asked them to run me a test print on that type to see how it turns out.

In the short term thats my last hope unless I can find another printer to work with. This is only a 2 color printing press. I couldnt find anyone with a four color print press (that also did silver) to work with at this time.

It amazed me how few people even bothered to return my call or answer my email.....

Thanks all and sorry for the very long delay!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Cheers for the update, Chris...these things take time to research and develop so no hurry - Edison didn't invent the light bulb just by sticking his finger in the socket one evening...
Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Design Admin

He didnt? Man have I been going about this all wrong... I think I have stuck my finger in half of them in the house!

I got lots of forum catch up to do... looks like people have been busy here too!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
-bump- .... any news with pre-printed kit.