PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

View Poll Results: Can a North American Print Shop survive focused on paper models?
Possible! 75 58.59%
Pipe Dream! 53 41.41%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Chris I think like a lot it be nice but risky and to show what i mean i went and looked online for the price of for example a laser cutting machine that can do up to size A3 the cheapest i found was over four thousand dollars to buy, So i then looked at what be the average price for laser cutting and it worked out at 2.50 a minute not sure how long it would say for example laser cut the formers for Barry's new ship but we take it that the machine may do 35mm a second it would mean pretty expensive and what you would have to work out is would it be better if you just went looking around for places to do the job for you and sell direct in the shop you would not have the problem of having a huge plant the cost of running the equipment insurance and all that goes with having a place. That is the way I would look right now Chris go asking how much to laser cut parts send them a file of something and just ask how much they would charge tell them on what thickness of card and such that is the way I would go not been lazy but thinking of ways of figuring out is it possible as well and most of these laser cutting machines cut a lot more than paper so that be another thing to think if you had one could you get into doing other things are been an agent to get things lazer cut and selling
Old 08-15-2011, 06:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
This sounds good on the surface but is like a crap shoot. You won't know how the dice will land until you throw and hope it turns up right.

I remember many years ago when some stores had some of those MB Creations Foldin' Art paper models of animals for sale. They were no longer in production and the stores were selling off the remainder of stock. They sold out very quickly which could have been because of the perceived uniqueness of the item, the very low pricing, or better yet the desire of the public for paper models. The model parts were die cut and pre-scored so all you had to do to make them is punch them out and glue them together.

I have left suggestions at stores like Hobby Lobby and Michael's for them to stock paper models. There were some initial interest but nothing ever developed.

Almost everyone that sees either physical paper models or photos of paper models are impressed with what can be made.

Like Whulsey suggested perhaps developing a association with an already established printing firm would be a better choice at first.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.03 MB
Chris wouldn't it be easier to just start small. Pick several models from ecard models that you would like to see in print. and just start with a production run. That way you could start with very minimal outlay with hardly any risk to you. That way you could learn about the printing presses and everything else and gradually expand your operation.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I will try to respond to everyone If I miss you - sorry!

Lets see where to start. One common suggestion was to find someone to print for me. Ron (Old Troll) hooked me up with his son who has been doing this for a living for quite some time now. He was VERY helpful and printed a test kit for me. TUrned out great and billy did a test build that turned out really well. This was on a digital printing press. He was very pleased with the print quality and paper quality all around. However outsourcing the kits is not really going to work as it approximately triples the sales cost plus shipping costs. I personally cant see most people paying that much for a kit when low cost is one of the main benefits of the hobby. I need to look into pricing of course to see how much it would cost me to do it completely myself - maybe in reality its not much different, I just dont know yet but will be doing my homework well before any investment.

In regards to paper model publishers going out of business - this is precisely why I think it WILL work. Right now pretty much ALL the publishers of paper models are in Europe. I cant think of any in the USA. They have a fairly saturated market which has nowhere to go and its fairly difficult to reach the US market at a good price point. Also with them shutting down it greatly increases the chances for European designers to search out new sales publishers.

2.50 per minute for the laser cutter to operate? Is that what you were saying????? WHOOOO! jeez - thats a problem for sure. Will be sure to look into those other options Laser cutting would also just be for formers. I wouldnt want to make precut models in general.

Investment.... I found a nice warehouse location here just a short distance from my house for a mere 187k..... sheesh... thought real estate prices went down....

Nemesis - Piracy is a moot point. I need to focus on legitimate customers. The vast majority of pirates never would have been a real customer in the first place so its really not a sales loss. Also if the major publishers would even put the slightest bit of effort into fighting piracy by simply reporting links it would make a huge difference. But they are not interested in doing that work and so it goes on. Myself and the anti piracy group do not let this happen to those we represent though.

CDavenport - if you make those you could probably sell them direct
Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
You could just print the models when you get the order. iv'e never bought a pre-printed model are they good?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Design Admin

Well these would be on a digital printing press designed for limited runs. I dont know how well it would work for one off printing. I dont know the technology well enough yet.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Chris,

Didn't Lou Dausse print the PMI kits? He might be another source of information.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up Print on demand

Print on demand only when an order comes in. Then ship it out. If you have a big inventory, some will not sell and will be scrapped after a while. Also, unless you have a good handle on the shifting demand you may not know how many to pre print or which kits folks want.

With digital printers and quick response, I say get a small place , no need for a warehouse. Also, forget about Fedex or express mail. Snail mail is OK for most and will keep the total cost down.

I buy the Polish kits exclusively. It is a pain in the butt. For US based consumers I think there would be a great appetite for printed kits. How about a license to print those kits in the USA? Have you approached GPM or Modelik, etc.............

I like the idea of laser formers as well. An yes, give us the options for Vacuformed parts as well ( on demand, do not make an inventory ).

My 2 yen worth.

Isaac
Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Design Admin

Yes Lou printed them but on a laser printer is my understanding. I hate laser as it cracks like crazy if you dont treat it properly. Otherwise if it wasnt that then it was a high end inkjet which is what people are doing now for themselves in the home. If I am going to pre print kits for people it must be a quality they cannot attain easily at home.

Isaac, I have approached them for digital versions but never for being a re-printer. Its on my to do list should I decide to move forward
Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
1) I could also see possibly being a stateside printing house for the European business's.
2)How about a license to print those kits in the USA? Have you approached GPM or Modelik, etc.............

If you can do the 2 above suggestions, then I would go for it. If not, then I would stick to the online store. The cost of paying postage for these Models is so ridiculous that obtaining the printing in the U.S rights, eespeciallly if they could be exclusive, would be the way to go. If I could do that. I wouldn't even open up a retail business. I would try and sign on various chain stores, I.E Target, (stay away from Walmart), and become a supplier. That is where the realmoney lies. If you could get the exclusive rights to do that, you would be able to easily secure a loan, or find a venture capitalists who is looking to invest. Getting the rights to Halinski, GPM, Modelik, that would be the ticket. If not, then not in this economy. I thought that was what you were intending in your first post.
Google Adsense