PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Movies for WWII devotees

Stalingrad- 1993 version from the producers of Das Boot. Sometimes a bit self-serving from the German point of view, but overall, a taut, well-paced view of small-unit level combat on the Eastern front. There is a rather well done tank battle against T-34s. Of course, the tankophiles will be more knowledgeable regarding the accuracy of the types used in the winter of '43. German language with English subtitles and/or English dubbing.

Black Book- 2006, Directed by Paul Verhoeven (Starship Troopers, Total Recall) centers on the Dutch resistance and its attempt to penetrate the Gestapo with a lovely, downright gorgeous Jewish female mole. If foul language and nudity offend you, pass this one by. But, it you want to see an excellent, fast-paced thriller, then get this movie. Dutch with English subtitles.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Charles, have you found the english-dubbed version? If so where? I only have the subtitles version.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Blockbuster! If you have the movie, check the special features section. I was playing around and clicked on English version. Voila! English dub. I watched it in German first with English subtitles.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.99 MB
I really didn't think the english dubs in Stalingrad were that good, although I absolutely loved that movie and the attention to detail. Interestingly, a guy I bought some reproduction WWII equipment from was a technical coordinator.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceguy5 View Post
I really didn't think the english dubs in Stalingrad were that good, although I absolutely loved that movie and the attention to detail. Interestingly, a guy I bought some reproduction WWII equipment from was a technical coordinator.
I agree. I watched only a small segment in English and found it distracting. I find myself fixating on the movement of the lips which do not synch with the dialogue....just like a Godzilla movie in English!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Stalingrad is a great movie. IMHO, even better than Saving Private Ryan.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I had an old friend, who died around 18 years ago. He was one of the few Germans who make it out of Stalingrad. When the Germans where invading Russia, he was ordered to kill a huge barn full of 100's of men, women and children, he took them and hid them, then set the building on fire. When Stalingrad fell, he managed to get out. Those same people took him in and in their underground, got him all the way back to Germany. He showed me incredible pictures he had. His name was Fritz Ruebeck.

8 years before he died, he got an invitation from the town where he had helped those people and an invitation, with round trip plane tickets,to go visit. He went. There was a monument built of his likeness, with the story of what he did engraved in the base. and it was surrounded by the 1000's of descendants from the people he saved, greeting him. Needless to say, he was already a humble man who was even more humbled. His daughter, who went with him, told me he was caught completely unaware. She told me he broke down so bad, He collapsed, the people surrounded them and comforted him, and all he could do was cry and apologize for nit being able to do more. Till he died, that was the man subject of his conversation. I never forgot the thing he would always say to me, "Don't believe all those things they say about the Russians, if you have a Russian for a friend, you have a friend for life. I hope this was not too far off topic.

My 3 favorite war movies:

Russian, 1957(?) A Soldier's Story" just plain excellent, he could have been from Kansas. Not a propaganda piece. You will never forget Shura and Alyosha, who's love can never flourish, but are deep in it. Watch carefully the scene when they depart forever. The cinematography is incredible, as they talk to each other transcending time and space. One of the best movies made. Only 88 minutes long!!

__________________________________________________ ____________

"The Cranes Are Flying", deep emotionally packed movie, complicated, tragic, symbolic. Harsh sometimes, but real. A must see movie. Not a propaganda piece

__________________________________________________ _____________

"The Grave of the Fireflies", Do not let Children watch this move! even though it is Anime'. It is profound, and tragic. This movie will change the mind of anyone who does not enjoy anime'. I think everyone in the world should see this movie. My 84 year old mother cried so hard at the end of the movie, my wife had to stop, as she cried too much, me, I sucked it up to the end, then I cried. One of the best movies made about what war does to children ever made. Don't the anime' presentation kid you.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Thanks, Zathros, for building on the thread. Stalingrad portrays one German officer as sympathetic to the Russians. While he fights them in combat, he does not treat them like animals....sounds like your friend.

I'm going to check out the other movies you suggested. I've seen the Soldier's Story....deeply emotional. There's another Russian language film that is deeply disturbing and I cannot remember the name. Very well done, the movie actually puts you on edge because of the sound design. I'll have to research to relearn the name.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 110.00 MB
Major D, thanks for posting, what a great reminder of movies once viewed.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Per Zathros's suggestion, for those who haven't experienced watching Grave of the Firefly's, then I suggest you do. You will be moved by watching it.
Google Adsense