PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHSurf View Post
I think the day I stop learning is the day I will die.
i second that.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
What a great group of positive folks. I have to admit it is a bit intimidating but it is something I want to do.
CT
Old 09-01-2011, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I remember going to the local university to take some general studies courses like philosophy and composition. I was in class with a lot of freshmen and it was rather interesting. Some of them were still trying to find their voice while others were outspoken in class. Seemed pretty interesting watching the student/teacher dynamic from a older point of view.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Banned

BEFORE you sign up or start anything, check for local, state, and federal monies that may be available, or coming down the "pike" for this. There has been lot of talk about doing just such a thing lately, and a lot of those monies cannot be gotten "ex post facto".

As far as changing careers, why not? I've worked in many motorcycle shops from parts manager, to mechanic, from Prisoner babysitter, to making Leaf Springs by hand at a local Auto Spring and Welding shop, using a furnace and a 50 lb. sledge hammer, and a forked anvil, I was a machinists for 16 years, went to school for electronics, had a TV repair shop for almost 9 years. Fueled Aircraft, Parked Aircraft, worked on aircraft (no money in aircraft). Changing careers in this country is a must, if not the norm.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Thanks Zathros. Hay I went to school for Machine Tool tech. Graduated in ten percent in the class. I worked in a job shop running a CNC mill for all of 8 months before getting into gunsmithing.

I hear a rumor that I might score some additional grant money in exchange for teaching for at least a few years in a state school after I graduate. Looking into all that.

CT
Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
It's called 're-inventing yourself' - go for it - the most surprising thing you may find about being back in school is how much easier it is now than the first time around i.e. now you already know all about girls, cars and beer so can focus on the main event...

Go for it and all the best...
Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
Thanks Zathros. Hay I went to school for Machine Tool tech. Graduated in ten percent in the class. I worked in a job shop running a CNC mill for all of 8 months before getting into gunsmithing.

I hear a rumor that I might score some additional grant money in exchange for teaching for at least a few years in a state school after I graduate. Looking into all that.

CT
I made all the tooling for a 4 axis CNC machine at Sikorsky Aircraft. I wrote over 500 programs covering 160 different parts, designed all the fixtures, and even some "unique" end mills, I also performed the maintenance on the machine, as that department, at that time, was filled by acts of nepotism, it seemed like they were all inbred!

Different place now.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I've had occasional thoughts about going back to school myself....however, at age 66, I find I often know as much or more about large chunks of the subject than does the instructor, and am not bashful about calling the instructor to task when he/she starts spouting politically correct propaganda when it clashes with real world experience. Needless to say, it rarely did much for my class grade, but I'm also at a point in my life that isn't all that important to me anymore. By all means, go for it, CT. From what my next door neighbor tells me, I have all the qualifications needed in this state to do substitute teaching. If I ever manage to forget what we used to do to subs, I might give it a try.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 PM

Never too late...
Pensioner earns a degree at age of 93 - mirror.co.uk

An old lady who lived in a house we back onto, who used to give us freshly baked cakes as children, is now 100. I wonder if when she was 40 she had any thoughts of what to do for the next 60 years.
60 more years.... gonna need a hobby.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
If you can swng the financing, CT, jump on it. The GI Bill helped me add a computer-science BS to the previous journalism BA, and the combination became a 30-year career as technical writer and editor. Many schools love to have older-than-traditional students, as their grades are a full point higher than those of students 18--21; many schools have support groups for such students. Must wonder whether all your design experience could lend itself to illustrating developments of ships or some other trends of history; paper models of any sort might be a real novelty for your instructors. Another great opportunity you'll have is attending plays and classical concerts that visit college towns -- an opportunity most undergraduates ignore in favor of parties.

As others have mentioned, learning should never stop, even if it means merely reading more books. Some of the DVD Great Courses lectures are very informative, and I'd happily attend additional classes at our local community college, just as soon as the catalogue offers something that leaps out at me.

Best of luck.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Google Adsense