PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-03-2008, 11:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Letter to the Editor

I've been thinking about doing this for awhile now, and finally went ahead and just did it.

I sent the following comments to the editor of Fine Scale Modeler Magazine. Maybe if more of you out there join me in this endeavor we can get our word out and get some well deserved recognition in their publication.

Here's what I sent...

"I've read your magazine off and on over the years and it truly is a great publication.
The only comment that I have is that you tend to focus your attention exclusively on plastic kits. Now don't get me wrong, I understand that plastic models makeup a huge part, if not the entire market (especially here, in the US) but, there is a growing number of hobbyists who are building some truly beautiful pieces from paper kits.
While not exactly the same, many of these pieces hold their own to their plastic brethren. After attending the 2008 International Paper Modelers Convention in Washington, DC this past weekend (check it out at www.papermodelers.com) and seeing some truly amazing builds I was hoping that you might someday consider posting an article on paper modeling in one of your future editions. Or even just a short blurb in the back somewhere would be nice. It seems that this hobby is a growing here in the US and some extra exposure in your publication may help to get even more people evolved in the hobby. With our country's current economic situation, and the increasing cost of plastic kits, paper modeling is becoming a viable alternative as satisfying and enjoyable low cost hobby.
In addition to the cost factor, many designers and artists are using today's computer technology to make and publish kits that often don't exist in the plastic medium.

Thanks for listening.
Kevin Stephens"
Google Adsense
Old 11-04-2008, 04:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
C'mon guys, build yourself some Hal kits as soon we might have a model magazine editor coming round to say Hi! :D
Old 11-04-2008, 05:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a great idea, Kevin, and one that you and I have discussed before.

I suspect (and hope) that their response will be something along the lines of "Will you provide us with such an article?"

Your PzKw IV and Stuart/Honey tanks would be the terrific basis for such an article. And many others in this forum have both the models and writing skills to provide articles on building, techniques, and kit reviews. As Lex says, no model builder n any medium can fail to be impressed by a well-executed Halinsky.

If we are successful in breaking in, I would be happy to assist others by copyediting a proposed article and, eventually, make a contribution myself.

Don
Old 11-04-2008, 06:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Don,
It was indeed our conversation that lead me to followthrough with this. I also believe that you are correct in saying that they are looking for us (this modeling community) to provide such articals. Hopefuly some of you out there may consider submitting articles for review, who knows someday we might actually get our own page. Here is a link to the web page that lists their submission guidelines.
FineScale Modeler magazine, model kit reviews, how-to scale modeling, scale modeling products - Submit stories, photos, and more to FineScale Modeler -
Now, lets give them something new to write about.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I haven't read Fine Scale Modeler for years, but if we get our own page I'll have to subscribe again
Old 11-04-2008, 01:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I'm totally new to this side of modelling, having spent the last 23 years on the styrene side of the house, and am still breaking paper on my first model, one of the pre-release Air Classique Tiger Moths. I am a long time FSM subscriber and I think that it is exactly as stated above, if you want paper model articles in FSM (or any modeling magazine) then the onus is on "us" to produce the product they need. If I'm confident I can produce something presentable from this new (to me) media, then I'd happily be prepared to do so but the proof as they say will be in the pudding...I would encourage anyone who has paper models they have built to at least submit pictures to the FSM Reader's gallery and thus perhaps earn a 'paper page' by default...
Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I too had contacted FSM concerning writing an article, and they seemed very
open to the idea. I do hope someone with the talent to really showcase
our hobby will take up the guidon for us.

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 11-06-2008, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Haveing been involved many years ago with the defunct International Modeler Magazine and doing the club publication for several years for a international model car club, I can fairly confidently say that if you send it in, they'll publish it. Most are always looking for decent material and are very willing to work with you on polishing and editing.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:35 PM

My only experience with FSM other than reading it, was in the mid 90s when I produced resin kits. I sent a sample in with a cover letter. They put it in the new kit list right away and then I was quite surprised when a couple months later they did a full build review. I think if someone writes an article, the chances are good they would publish it.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Eternal Member

I've had a little experience with this, as both the first card model editor of "Airandseamodels.com," and later as editor of Saul Jacobs' "Cardmodelers Online Magazine." A&SM was a plastic oriented e-zine that survived on subscription fees rather than advertising, but it went belly-up in 2002. Over about two years we were able to publish some really good, well written, well illustrated construction reviews; but management issues doomed the enterprise. Also, card modelers were not all that enthusiastic about paying for a subscription. A&SM could make a good argument about independence from manufacturer influence when it came to plastic, but that argument didn't play well in a world when many of the high-quality models were free for downloading, and card model publishers didn't have a lot of money for ads.

Card Modelers Online died for a couple of reasons: Saul's ill health, and the need for a completely volunteer editorial staff. There were a couple of us trying to carry the ball, but with full-time day jobs, health issues, and the demands of editing and formatting content for the web, it was very trying. Your can still see some of what we tried to do on the CMO website.

All this withstanding, I firmly believe that bringing card modeling into the mainstream -- especially in regions outside of its traditional bases -- would be worthwhile for the hobby itself and for scale modeling in general. Scale modeling as a hobby is dying for lack of new recruits: kids distracted by TV, over-scheduled lives, lack of free-form play. etc. Don Boose (BOOSED) and I had wonderful experiences as elementary school friends, building (and destroying) stick and tissue models, plastic kits, and other (not to be mentioned) juvenile creations. We would have gotten nowhere if our parents had to schedule "play dates" for our schemes. My mother worried about the strange smells and occasional "bangs" I produced in the basement, and might not have approved (in today's terms) of my association with another teenager so inclined.

But how to do it? I see three paths we could try to follow:

1) We could pursue setting up another online site. We'd need a willing editor, a half dozen associate editors (all willing to spend 10-20 hours a week on the project indefinitely), and advertising to cover the hosting costs (at a minimum). The forums do a pretty good job in the online venue, and the track record for independent online pubs for card modeling is not good.

2) We could pursue the mainstream scale modeling press. Quite frankly, I think this will work only if cardmodeling is introduced at the grass roots level in a way that gathers attention among the traditional plastic modelers (or wooden ship modelers, etc.). The mainstream press is driven by advertising revenue. There are three things we have to do, in my thinking:
a) Go to every scale modeling convenion available (IPMS, Ship Modelers, etc.) and enter card models into the competition. As a result of the Southern California crew (David Okamura, et al), card modeling is now recognized as a legitimate category in IPMS competitions. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this on a national basis.) I manaaged to take 3rd place in an IPMS competition with a paper model in 2001, but did not follow up.

b) Submit articles to major pubs, consistent with their publication guidelines.

c) Find advertising sources for card models that would participate in the mainstream modeling media

www.geoghegan.us
Current build: GPM Halberstadt DII

Last edited by DrBill; 11-06-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Google Adsense