PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

View Poll Results: What do you do without finished models?
I keep them until they break, fall apart etc.! 18 11.54%
I keep them all in good condition - no future plans! 12 7.69%
I keep them all in good condition - I have future plans! 16 10.26%
I keep them on display with no future plans! 25 16.03%
I keep some and give some away! 59 37.82%
I make them for other people, or institutions! 8 5.13%
I more unfinished them finished models - they get thrown away! 7 4.49%
Other (tell us)! 11 7.05%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
i charge people, usually young people, 1.00 $ usd
to crush it with their bare hands, or a brick or ride a bike over them or burn them, whatever as long as it is safe and almost fully sane.
then i build another one !
Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Most of mine are too big to display at home.

Each year I take the previous years' models to a show. They then end up in boxes.

Living in London I sometimes think of reinacting the famous event of 1666 I'll leave you to work out that one ;-)))

Mike
Old 08-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Always someone out there to take them in ... mostly teachers (aerospace items), a couple of schools and museums. So long as they are not collecting dust where SHE can see them.
Yogi (the penguins do not leave the house, however)
Old 08-08-2012, 04:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.56 GB
The majority of mine go to local kids who dont have to opportunity to get any toys. Some are displayed and some go to the kids group I'm involved in for use in some of our activities. The rest are ones I make for my kids especially helmets, etc/
Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I recently asked this question on another thread and another writer told me that I had "erred and strayed" from the intention of that thread. I have since repented to the original author -Mike Stamper- and have received absolution from him. This person suggested that a new thread with that question should be started. I thank Kevin for starting this thread. I have enjoyed reading the responses so far.

I asked the question because on a recent visit to family in Texas, my brother-in-law who is an avid golfer and could care less about my models, asked me what was going to happen to all my models when I die. He said that my children probably wouldn't want them or have room for them and that they would probably be thrown in the trash. This has been a very depressing thought.

Let me say that I am a collector or some would say a pack rat. I am new to paper modeling - since 2005. My first love has always been woodworking. I have made much of our furniture (reproductions) then I started making scroll saw items and doing craft shows when I retired. I always cut out several of the same item and saved one so I have 100's of items on display around the house. You can see all of these on my second webpage - www.creations-by-thomas.com. I have a large workshop full of tools (what will happen to them?)

I have always, since a small child, had model railroads. My present layout measures is 30' X 9'. I started building wooden and paper model cars, ships and planes at an early age - (I still have some of them). Then plastic models came out, and I have on display over 120 model cars and a dozen plastic ships. Next I started making miniature houses (doll houses) and miniature reproduction furniture when my daughter was a child. I have four fully furnished houses that are large reproductions of historic houses. (these are also pictured on my creations web page. I still have all four as she has no room for them in her home.

Then in 2005, I discovered paper model cathedrals and now have 50 on display in my study plus another 50 that I hope to make before I die.

So, being 74 years old (and still in great health), I think about what is going to happen to all of these "things" (not just the paper models) when I die ( I plan on being around another 15-20 years) I would hate for all of this very enjoyable work to be thrown on the trash pile as my brother-in-law so bluntly put it, of course I probably won't know what happens to them.

All of my paper models are architectural - mostly European Cathedrals plus a few castles. I have visited all of them in person which makes them especially interesting to me. I like to make them before visiting them. I have made 8 so far of places that we will visit on our upcoming visit to Southern France. I have three more that I hope to make but time is getting close. After spending many hours on each model, it is always thrilling to see some of the parts that were most difficult in person. All of these models are on my webpage - www.cathedralquest.com .

I also take my models to class when I teach my courses on the history cathedral architecture. I can show photos of the real building and then hold up the model and point out the exact location of certain parts.

I keep all of these papermodels on display in my study for my own enjoyment as well as friends. My wife is hosting her bookclub tonight and several ladies have already asked to see my latest models. I feel greatly honored.

Sorry to have been so long winded -- that is the "preacher" in me. This question has weighed heavily on my mind the past several weeks. I needed to write about. I hope many other people will write about what they do with all of their models.
Google Adsense
Old 08-09-2012, 01:53 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
What to do is a puzzle.

I have a very large Atomic Power Station I want to make.

It has been on the back burner for years, but I have no idea where to put it........

So it remains unbuilt while I try to think of a potential home first.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.42 MB
As much as we get attached to "our things" they are in the long run only things or stuff. Our important things and stuff is to someone else just junk. It is good when some things out live us as reminders to others of who we were. However, mother and human nature is such that recycling is the normal thing and serious effort is required to keep things the same.

That is just a long way of saying most of our models will not last much longer than we do, and as some have already said may not out last us at all.

As for me, the pleasure of the building process and the satifaction of the completed project are enough. Should I give a project away, what that someone else does with it is up to them. When I die and my stuff is dispursed, what do I care? A will can help the distribution but does not necessarilly ensure survival of things.

I think most things, of any sort, are for here and now and for sharing as we do here on this site. tomorrow my house and models may get destroyed and I survive the disaster and move onto what ever is next, or, I may die and my stuff survive. For what ever is to come, I should like some rememberance of me to survive me, just don't know what it will be.

My long winded contribution,
George
Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
And George - too true. You have put very clearly what I often think.

But sometimes when I have made something really good I feel someone else would appreciate it - if I could find them, or a place to put it!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Smile \___---The Models---___/

\___---The Models---___/

Where have all the models gone?
Long time passing
Where have all the models gone,
Long time, ago,

Card and Paper, every one,
These are what folk have made,
Built by hand and stage by stage,

These models, effort-earned,
these talents, often shared,

Kept or gifted,
Treasured, lost, inherited?
Long time ago,

Aircraft, Cars, Dioramas,
Steamers, locos, tanks,
for these we each give Thanks,

Where have all the models Gone?
Treasured by builders,
Yes, each one,
These are the things we've Learned,
Long time ago.

Uyraell

August 10, 2012.

For My Paper Modeller Friends, in Thanks for

your friendship and our Forum.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
What you can do if the rest of your house is fulll with models?
Well than you give them a place of rest.
Don't worry I don't trow them on this place but lay them very carefull in ths position.
And no body can go inside this room. So that's save.
Attached Thumbnails
Where do/will your models go after they are made?-dsc00185_2.jpg   Where do/will your models go after they are made?-dsc00187_2.jpg   Where do/will your models go after they are made?-dsc00188.jpg   Where do/will your models go after they are made?-dsc00188_2.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
buildings., cars, paper models, planes