PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
What Can I Do About This??

My wife just pointed something out to me that is very likely causing me great harm. This news story; Police blotter for Friday, May 20, 2011 - The Daily News Online: Police Blotter, is the first result on Google when my name is searched. The Scott named in it has a similar last name, but they misspelled it, and it now matches mine. Where mine has an e-n, his should have i-n-g instead. I sent an email to them tonight, and plan to call them directly Monday morning, as well. I want this corrected!

I wonder if this is why I've lost so many friends, and can't get hired anywhere. Wonder if I can sue them.... I really hate the internet sometimes!

Scott K.
Google Adsense
Old 03-24-2013, 12:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
You aren't having a lot of luck at the moment, Scott.

I would think any real friends would stand by you. At least they have published they other chaps address (assuming you don't live next door) would help some.

The damage would already have been done by now. So probably a bit pointless in sueing anybody, with no real guarentee of success. Any extra publicity could have a negative impact.

I wouldn't over estimate peoples intelligence with this sort of thing

Tim
Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 AM

Thanks, Tim. I couldn't afford a lawyer for a suit, anyway. Its just so frustrating. I thought I lost a possible model design/build contract last night because of this. My unemployment benefits just ran out, and I don't have any other income at the moment. I also just had 2 prospective employers suddenly start ignoring me, despite the possibilty of getting the jobs sounding very good. I already know they don't read my resume all the way through, I'm sure some have read that molester story and assumed it's me, despite the age and address differences. That will probably still happen, even after I get the story corrected.

Scott K.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
This is a problem. Especially since company's now use the Internet to "screen" applicants.

This will not go away.

Suggest you get them to correct the webpage itself. This should help as it would stop registering in search engines.

If they do not, try a lawyer - one may be willing to do it on a "no results no fee" basis. It should be an easy damages case.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 AM

I will definitley try to get them to change it. The local lawyers for "no results no fee" advertise mainly for car accidents though, wonder if one of them would be interested in this.

Scott K.
Google Adsense
Old 03-24-2013, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Scott, I'm pretty sure that if you get in touch with them (definitely a phone call) about correcting the name, they will be more than happy to oblige, especially if you explain to them how you have been negatively effected.

The next step would be to have a lawyer send them a letter, telling them to make the correction. That might cost a couple of hundred to do though, but probably would have better results.

You could also go the the their competitor media sources and tell them about the error (but that will increase the media coverage).

Best of luck!

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 03-24-2013, 11:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.61 MB
Just out of curiosity are you 31 years old and live in Brockport? If not, then I guess I don't understand the issue. Lots of people have the same names.

russ...
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Heres an article you might want to save:
police report published May 18, 2011 Local News The Journal Register (Medina, NY)

It even gives you a Police deputy that you could contact to get a written statement from.

and Killingbecks info:
http://www.whitepages.com/name/Scott...ort-NY/57e8wm7
Old 03-24-2013, 12:35 PM

Thanks, Dave. I knew the correct info was out there, 'cuz I've seen it (but not that report). Now I just have to get that first Google result corrected.

Russ, no, I'm 49, but I do live pretty close to Brockport. This guy's mom was even my kids' lunch lady in grade school. The problem is when people who don't pay close attention to details see that first result if they do a search on my name.

I once had an interview for a position I wasn't qualified for, because when they skimmed my resume, they saw "Maintenance" (I've done lots of it), and "Electrical" (I've been/am an electrical drafter/designer). That made them think I could do high voltage industrial electrical maintenance. Nope. I could learn that, but have no experience in it.

This is why I think that damned story could be causing me harm, and is exactly what I told the paper in my email to them last night. I'm going to back that up with a phone call tomorrow.

Scott K.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
I received a letter a while ago saying that I had been over paid on my benefit as I was in custody and needed to repay it for the period that I was in prison, I was a bit shocked to discover that I was in prison as it looked remarkably like my house and I assumed a prison would be nicer. I phoned the benefit office expecting to just say "I am not in prison, witness my total lack of prisoness" but was told that it said I was on the form so that was that. I ended up having to pay for the police to do a search of the crime computer and issue a certificate proving that I was never in prison. It sounds like you might need to get the police there to do the same thing as well as making sure your name has not been entered onto a sex offenders register because of this, that might be a priority given the trouble that could cause. Contact the paper and ask for the article to be corrected and a apology stating you are not the man named in the story. I'm sure if you looked you could find a no win no fee lawyer to take this on if you wanted but priority is obviously to get you distanced from the story.