PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Times are still hard to find work. Miracles do happen though so don't give up believing. Unfortunately, online application systems often cripple employers with too much useless information that they end up doing nothing. As to personality tests, they are designed to exclude anyone not fitting a particular profile: age, gender, education, (other behavior). Try not to take it as "failing." There is a right way to answer those questions. See if there is no-cost job placement service nearby and see if they have a psychologist on staff you talk with. Bring a copy of the questions and have the person explain how you answer and how to recognize trick questions. Those tests trip up many a qualified applicant.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
The miracle never did come. Friends are few or nonexistant. Any good thing is always punished by three new bad things. Just enough support to keep the misery coming, without ever any improvement or resolution. Oh, well.

Sorry, there's really nowhere else for me to vent. The holidays are always hard for me, and this one was no different. What joy there was, was eaten up by worry over vehicle problems, which I thought were fixed, but now there's a new one. Big job assignments tomorrow and Friday. Finally expected to make more than just barely enough to pay for the gas to get to the job sites. Now I'm not even sure we'll be able to get anywhere, let alone to work (The Mrs. has joined me with the same company).

Cross your finger for me that the (expletive deleted) truck doesn't blow up on us tomorrow, or later today for that matter, when I attempt to pick up my son and daughter up from their jobs (ha, the only reason we still have internet or electricity, for that matter. I thought parents were supposed to help support their kids, not the other way around...).

Scott K.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 354.7 KB
There is nothing wrong with any of you who are out there seeking work. What's wrong is an economy which is not growing due to our current government taking too much money for it's own agenda.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 891.03 MB
Scott:
Families exist to help each other. Be thankful you have children who understand that love and help need to go both ways, and not parent to child only.

I wish it was possible to help out, but I'm living on my SS and a <$400 a month retirement from Martin Marietta while supporting my eldest boy who hasn't been able to find work either. Thank God, we are both healthy.

You have my prayers for your situation; and don't let the b******ds grind you down.

TomW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
The miracle never did come. Friends are few or nonexistant. Any good thing is always punished by three new bad things. Just enough support to keep the misery coming, without ever any improvement or resolution. Oh, well.

Sorry, there's really nowhere else for me to vent. The holidays are always hard for me, and this one was no different. What joy there was, was eaten up by worry over vehicle problems, which I thought were fixed, but now there's a new one. Big job assignments tomorrow and Friday. Finally expected to make more than just barely enough to pay for the gas to get to the job sites. Now I'm not even sure we'll be able to get anywhere, let alone to work (The Mrs. has joined me with the same company).

Cross your finger for me that the (expletive deleted) truck doesn't blow up on us tomorrow, or later today for that matter, when I attempt to pick up my son and daughter up from their jobs (ha, the only reason we still have internet or electricity, for that matter. I thought parents were supposed to help support their kids, not the other way around...).

Scott K.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Still Looking for one...

I promised myself I wouldn't do this anymore. But I really do need to vent again, here, in the only place I can, while I still can.

While the holidays are a source of joy for most (I hope), they're nothing but misery for me. Due to the nature of my job, there is very little work this time of year. The result being, no Christmas gifts for anyone, very little food, and no bills being paid, with subsequent loss of minor things like the internet (which I need to access and report my jobs), and water (eh, who needs that anyway?). Unlike 2 years ago, when I wrote the above, we don't have any big jobs coming up in the first week of the month. It may be as far as into March before that happens, though I hope I'm wrong. The reminders of past losses of family members that always seemed to happen this time of year don't help, either. My son is presently out of work, so no help there, and my daughter has been having chronic back problems, which have reduced her working hours lately.

The up side? Well, my daughter just graduated from college, and has already been working in her chosen field since last spring, as a teacher for special needs children, with a focus on the use of art in the classroom. She was temporary until 2 wweeks ago, but has just been hired full time. Also, the threat of losing our home has diminshed somewhat again, as we just learned that the program that should help us save it is starting back up after the first of the year, having shut down several months ago when it ran out of funds.

So it's not ALL doom-and-gloom, just a bunch of it.

Sorry again, I hope someday soon to be able to contribute mare than just whining and complaining to the group. Meanwhile, all I can do is pass on a lesson I've learned over the past few years; Don't take ANYTHING for granted, you never know what mgiht happen next.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
I promised myself I wouldn't do this anymore. But I really do need to vent again, here, in the only place I can, while I still can.

While the holidays are a source of joy for most (I hope), they're nothing but misery for me. Due to the nature of my job, there is very little work this time of year. The result being, no Christmas gifts for anyone, very little food, and no bills being paid, with subsequent loss of minor things like the internet (which I need to access and report my jobs), and water (eh, who needs that anyway?). Unlike 2 years ago, when I wrote the above, we don't have any big jobs coming up in the first week of the month. It may be as far as into March before that happens, though I hope I'm wrong. The reminders of past losses of family members that always seemed to happen this time of year don't help, either. My son is presently out of work, so no help there, and my daughter has been having chronic back problems, which have reduced her working hours lately.

The up side? Well, my daughter just graduated from college, and has already been working in her chosen field since last spring, as a teacher for special needs children, with a focus on the use of art in the classroom. She was temporary until 2 wweeks ago, but has just been hired full time. Also, the threat of losing our home has diminshed somewhat again, as we just learned that the program that should help us save it is starting back up after the first of the year, having shut down several months ago when it ran out of funds.

So it's not ALL doom-and-gloom, just a bunch of it.

Sorry again, I hope someday soon to be able to contribute mare than just whining and complaining to the group. Meanwhile, all I can do is pass on a lesson I've learned over the past few years; Don't take ANYTHING for granted, you never know what mgiht happen next.
yup understand that.our xmas is a non event this year.we got laid off start of october for what was supposed to be 3 weeks.went back to work one week ago so xmas was cancelled.luckily we are back tilll june now so will have a winter xmas then.all the best
Old 12-25-2016, 12:28 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Scott - I know exactly what you are talking about. Use the Christmas break just to relax and blank out the issues - do all the free stuff - birdwatching, walks, etc. Try anyway.....!

Having said that have a good break!
Old 12-25-2016, 03:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 110.00 MB
Scott,
send me an e-mail or pm or give me a call.
I'll see what I can do.
Peace to you my friend.
Greg