PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Cutting out parts

Ok - I see in build threads pictures of people who cut out way more parts to start an assembly than I ever would. I really try to keep the parts I have cut out to a minimum. How many people cut out everything ahead of time versus just cutting what you need as you build? And if you cut everything out - how often do you misplace pieces?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
I only cut out the bare minimum number that makes sense for the current assembly step. If it's a repetitive thing like engine cylinders that take the same sort of actions (forming, etc), I will do all those at once, but otherwise it sends up being just a handful.

Rick
Old 07-30-2007, 02:49 PM

I normally just cut out what I am building at the moment, then cut the other parts as I need them. In my Mk 3 Grant thread, I cut out all the parts to one wheel for effect.... The completed wheel was built on a as needed basis.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Gotcha Chris - that was actually the picture that prompted the question (although I've seen a few other build threads, especially on the German forums) where people have tons of parts cut out. They could again be doing it for build picture effect as well.

Last edited by dansls1; 07-30-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Yup. Just cut them out as needed. For repetitive things cut them all out together and keep them organized. Frequently when I cut out several parts for a single assembly I keep the cut off paper with the label handy too so I don't forget...
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2007, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
My practice is to cut out all the parts for an assembly. I've got a stack of plastic containers from (way too many) Chinese takeaways of various sizes so the parts go in one or more containers. Where there are similar looking parts I often write the part numbers on the back of the parts in pencil. Recently I've started to bulk edge colour the parts as well. I think I've evolved this as a defence against the "losing parts and swearing" syndrome since my modeling time tends to be in small chunks - recently vanishingly small chunks

Regards,

Charlie

ps. Would someone tell the spell checker that "colour" can be spelt with a "u" and the word is "defence" in real English.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 356.23 MB
Dan,

perhaps you refer to my build of the XFY-1. I always cut out smany pieces as possible since I love building without being interrupted by cutting out parts and coloring the edges.

I put the parts aside to avoid loosing parts of disturbing a certain arrangement of the parts. Unless the work place is not too chaotic I encountered no problem until now ;-)

Please find attached some images of my M-50 Bounder (Kranich), MiG-31 (Fly Model - fuselage, wings and a whole lot of formers) and compare it with the small number of the parts for the Pogo (der Kampfflieger):
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting out parts-m-50_1.jpg   Cutting out parts-m-50_2.jpg   Cutting out parts-mig-31_1.jpg   Cutting out parts-mig-31_2.jpg   Cutting out parts-xfy-1.jpg  

Old 07-30-2007, 05:42 PM

Because the pieces to subassemblies are often printed scattered across pages (to save paper or for other reasons) I always find it easier to cut everything free (but not down to the finish edges) and stash all the pieces to subassemblies into std 1st class envelopes with the subassembly name on the outside of the envelope. Then each subassembly goes together without my having to track down what page a piece is on (and it helps assure I don't inadvertantly leave out a piece - even following instructions, it's easy to forget a tiny strut, cover, brace, etc. unless the piece is right there in front of you).

Because so many model pieces are numbered more or less in preferred assembly sequence, I'll often include the subassembly number range in the name (e.g. 33 - 57 Landing Gear, 58 - 82 Engines and Props, etc.)

The envelopes with their flaps closed also help prevent pieces from getting lost, or getting swept into the trash accidentally when I clear the build mat of scraps. Some pieces are too large for the envelopes' flaps to close, but by standing all the envelopes upright (in build sequence) in an old stationery box, such pieces simply stick out and serve as partial indexes to help locate where a given model is in the box (I always have several models under construction simultaneously).

Mark Baird
Alameda CA USA (San Francisco Bay Area)
Old 07-30-2007, 06:04 PM

For aircraft, I cut many of the major parts out....fuse, flying surface etc. For ships. I keep it to a minimum as there are so many subassemblies. Having said that, I'm building a Juno 1 and Explorer 1 spacecraft and will have almost all parts cut out prior to starting.

Bottom line is that it depends on how many other projects are on the go!

Kirk
Old 07-30-2007, 06:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
I just cut out part by part as I move along.....I have a nasty habit of losing small parts.....
Google Adsense