PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-06-2009, 11:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
A chance encounter

I am an avid long blades ice skater. Last week I brought a couple of paper airplane models to the indoor rink to show off to some of my friends there. Many of the people who skate with me are pretty old.

One elderly gentleman approached me, and after looking at the models, he asked if it were possible for me to create some 1:72 decals that he could apply to a plastic B-29 model that he intended to build. When I asked about it he admitted to having been a gunner aboard a B-29 flying from Tinian with the 58th Bomb Wing. His plane was part of the 500 B-29 formation that overflew the USS Missouri in Tokyo Harbor when the papers were signed. He told me that he is the last surviving member of his flight crew.

Things got even more interesting from there... He told me that his pilot was Michael Novosel who was subsequently awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his exploits in Viet Nam. Michael Novosel is also the author of the book Dust Off. I am going to have to get a copy and read it.

Michael J. Novosel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amazon.com: Dustoff: The Memoir of an Army Aviator: Michael J. Novosel: Books

It looks like building a model of a B-29 is in my future plans.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I just did the FG B-29. It's pretty good, like all FG planes. Easily doable in a weekend.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great story, Jim.

It's always a wonderful experience and an honor to have the chance to talk to the veterans who have gone before.

Don