PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-26-2014, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
I understand that there is only 1 genuine Typhoon left in the world, is this correct?

If so, is the Typhoon coming to Canada this aircraft or a replica? When will this happen and where will it be stationed?

SFX
The real one from Hendon RAF Museum. She is the only intact genuine example in the world Hawker Typhoon to Go on Display in Canada - WAR HISTORY ONLINE

She's already been dismantled for the trip so should be at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa soon.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhbell View Post
I saw this on airforce news the other day.

I WANT DATES AND WHERE THEY ARE SHOWING AT.

And yes I know I was shouting there.
She due to arrive in the UK on the 8th of August and start her displays on the 14th. For £3500 you can buy a half hour ride in her or for £5000 you can ride in the cockpit. You will know when she is going to arrive in the UK as the entire country will dip down at one end due amount of people standing in Lincolnshire waiting to see her land.
http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-...e-fly-one.html
Old 02-26-2014, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
Better get working some more overtime then. I knew of the arrival day, just want to know which shows or any special flypasts they will be doing. Humberside airport isn't that far from me, I guess I'll have to force myself to pay a visit.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:09 PM

I'm guessing a full list will be published soon, I think the majority will be in Bonber Country but hopefully as Southerners will get a few, a flypast over the Bomber Command memorial would be a nice tribute.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixergs View Post
The real one from Hendon RAF Museum. She is the only intact genuine example in the world Hawker Typhoon to Go on Display in Canada - WAR HISTORY ONLINE

She's already been dismantled for the trip so should be at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa soon.
I gotta' figure out some way to get up there to see it. The Typhoon is one of my favorite planes of all time and I always figured I'd have to make a trip across the pond to see it. This changes the whole thing for me. Now I have a real chance to see it......

Thanks for the info,

SFx
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2014, 03:46 PM

Your very welcome, anything to promote the glorious Hawker Typhoon. There is/was a guy trying to restore an early car door type but I've not heard much about that of late.The Canadians will almost certainly find and restore one for themselves as there were several Canadian Typhoon squadrons. They got a Halifax and a Lancaster I'm sure a Typhoon is on the list. Kermit Weeks Tempest V is due to get her wings back soon. Everything has been restored to flying condition it's just the expense of getting one of his 2 Sabres running as to whether she will be in the air or not.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Although the Lanc visit and Typhoon loan appear unrelated, if we pretend they are an exchange, it is very much a win-win deal. CWH has displayed the Lanc widely enough that everyone in North America who really wants to see her has done so, and you Brits will get to have a great experience. I only regret that it will not arrive in time to appear in some of the big July shows there. The Typhoon will be a treat for Canadians and it is likely to be the only intact Typhoon seen there in our lifetimes. The RCAF Museum at Trenton, which did the Halifax, is the one organization with a shot at sourcing and rebuilding a Tiffie. The Ottawa collection has almost no restoration program; Canada's most active private collector, Mike Potter, is finding himself stretched with the planes he has already; and no one else in Canada has any stomach for the undertaking. So it will be enjoyed while there and perhaps it is not too much to hope that it receives temporary Canadian squadron markings.

August
Old 02-26-2014, 04:25 PM

It would be interesting to see if she does receive squadron codes as she has never been given any at Hendon, just the invasion stripes, I'm sure Harry Hardy wouldn't mind her painted as one of his Pulverisers.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:06 PM

Dates for the two Lancasters to fly together Lancaster Bomber 2014 UK Tour. There's talks to try and extend the vist in to September.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
I was looking through the list early today and all southern England shows. A lot of people are asking why nothing for bomber county (Lincolnshire), most of the Lancaster bases were around the Lincoln area. I saw that there is a fly past for east Kirby, but no display. It's going to be based at RAF Coningsby for it's visit, so I hope they expand the list.
Google Adsense