PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-22-2009, 06:36 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
models being worked on,
Sarge from Cars,
Paper Replika's Enigma machine
various 1:100 Hummer models
a model of the 5ton FMTV truck

Trackback is a link to another forum dealing with the same topic as the current thread you are reading, just provided as a means to learn about the same on a different site.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-22-2009, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
I do something similar - don't build several models at the same time, but I build several pieces/sections of the same model at the same time. The model I'm building right now I have six or seven sections in various stages of completion. When I've got all the sections built, it will (should) flop together like a p.....c model.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
The official medical acronym is AMS, Advanced Modelers Syndrome. It is a chronic condition characterized in paper modelers by:

-Buying models at a rate of at least 4 to the tenth power times two for every one model you finish
-Staring at your favorite ship/plane/car/etc. and wondering how you would design it and then getting distracted by something else
-Starting at least three models for every one completed (more commonly 8-12 for every one)
-Having a separate "stash" of 1/250 scale railings for that big "someday" project
-In designers, it is typically characterized by an obsession with accuracy and habitual starting over

[email protected]
Old 03-22-2009, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by APA-168 View Post
-In designers, it is typically characterized by an obsession with accuracy and habitual starting over

Aint that the truth.

Builds:

1. RC model of my own design (build/design?)
2. My own Super Corsair #74
3. GPM Bearcat (probably will never finish since it is a poor design)
4. MM F4U Corsair.

Designs:

1. XP-67
2. Super Corsair (restarted ? times)
3. Beech Staggerwing
4. Real Airplane I hope to fly one day (1:1 version of RC mentioned above)

I dare say Treadhead that you are in very good company if "good" means similar.

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 03-22-2009, 08:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
All: I am enjoying catching up on all of your multiple projects.

Shrike -- What about the Curtiss A-8?

Dan -- I won't mention the Wahlfisch.

Carl -- I take all your points in your disquisition on the variations on "premodern." I wonder, aside from you and Bill Geoghegan, how many anthropology Ph.D.s there are in this forum. Anyway, I should not have used the term "premodern." The class is part of a colleague's elective called "Warfare in the Ancient World." I focus entirely on China (Shang - Qin), Korea during the 7th century wars of unification (which brings in China again, Sui and Tang), and Japan through the Heike Wars plus some brief comments about the later Mongol invasions. Admittedly, this takes us beyond "antiquity" if antiquity = up to the end of the Western Roman Empire. But as you already figured out, I am using the terminology very loosely and am not going to be going into great depth, nor applying much academic rigor. And I only have a BA in anthropology, although it IS Ivy League.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hmm, it would seem that I am indeed in some very good company.

GB, nope, it ain't the styrene variety, although I have a Tamiya one in the collection/storage/someplace built many moons ago.

Don, I won't criticize your writing, Lord knows I murder the language bad enough on my own, think Southern Mountain William/ former Marine. It is only with great restraint that I don't write with an accent or descend into some rather paint peelin' verbage. I once made a table full of drill instructors blush at MCRD San Diego NCO's Club.

As to the model in question, it is Kancho Ilievs' creation that I scored when Pay Pal, in their usual rather questionable tactic, of accepting my funds, tells me that it takes from 3 to 5 days for my deposit to become available to spend at Gremir Models to purchase Micheals' Seiran and HMS Reknown later this week. I found it as a downloadable model kit on the Hobby Factory site that does accept plastic as an acceptable medium of exchange, no slights to Micheals methods intended. As I have pointed out before, he never disappoints as far as his service is concerned and I am delighted with each and every purchase that I have recieved from him. My objections lie with Pay Pal.

The kit comes with 7 pages of instructions in English and 6 pages worth of kit. As is stated in the instructions it can be built as a simple model or if you want to get a bit more intense with its' construction it does include an engine, cockpit and other nifty parts to make a rather detailed project. There are two sets of prop blades, optional canopy parts for either the simple blued out one for no interior or frames and a guide to cut individual clear panes as well as extra former strips and bits to beef it up. It also includes the beaching trolley to rest the whole thing on when completed.

I am rather a big fan of float planes, flying boats and other wingee thingees that are intended to flit about on water as well as air I have a stockpile of unbuilts as well as finished projects in that vein in styrene. I do get a bit carried away, think a complete interior on Hasegawas' Emily or actually finishing out a Smer Walrus, removing all the horrid rivet details, rescribing and updating its' interior as well as a Blackburn Shark, several Petes, Jakes and Seirans in various livries. When I saw Kanchos' little Rex, well I was a bit enamoured on the spot.

So I am considering working on the Rex whilst continuing my ship education in the card model vein.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Jay --

Many thanks for providing the additional information and the photos of your excellent floatplane models. I especially like the Kawanishi E7K1, but they are all mighty fine.

I'm having my own problems now and have just sent an email to Hobby Factory (I tried to buy the Kyofu and the Ki-100, but my shopping cart keeps coming up empty -- no doubt some error of my own, I am a real klutz with most things having to do with the Internet), but hope to have a Kyofu of my own soon.

Don
Old 03-22-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post

Shrike -- What about the Curtiss A-8?

Thanks Don, whydoncha just give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on while your at it. (Name that movie)

It's 3rd on my current list after finishing the Moonbat (provided Billy doesn't beat me to it) and the MM contest entry. The PWS build gave me some great insights on finishing up the struts, which have been a minor head-scratcher.

I took an anthropology class once, but the closest to Ivy League I've been is the use of a Yale lock.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Wow, sweeet catapault in that first picture!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Thanks Guys,

GB, the catapult is from Hasegawas' re re rerelease of their old Jake and Alf kits that I spotted in the LHS in 1/72 scale. I liked it so well I had to get a half dozen of them. It is a pretty decent affair and even includes some thread to use as a cable. I am considering building up a ship model to add one or two of them to once I retire and have the time to devote to such an endeavor.

Don, I like Alfs, they participated in a couple of high points in the IJN efforts early in the war as well as a lot of the early experiments in design before the war. I had to add a figure to the after platform to give an idea of the size of this thing.

Google Adsense