PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-18-2014, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
When it comes to an all out fantasy film like WWZ, its unfair to be critical
of the use of the wrong type of helicopter when you are tolerating a story
about Zombie hordes.
LOL
I mean, if you are going to accept piles of wall climbing zombies in Jerusalem
then you can't really complain too much about some wrong aircraft markings!
I've to disagree with you. For example why I'm complaining in a super hero movie about the details in the stock transactions? Well because I think this helps to make that "fantasy" believable.

In every movie with sci-fi/fantasy elements where you mix reality I think the reality has to be very accurate to help you be immerse in the movie.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Go all the way back to the 1950's. Superman would take bullets to the chest and then duck when the now empty gun was thrown at him.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcides View Post
I've to disagree with you. For example why I'm complaining in a super hero movie about the details in the stock transactions? Well because I think this helps to make that "fantasy" believable.

In every movie with sci-fi/fantasy elements where you mix reality I think the reality has to be very accurate to help you be immerse in the movie.

Batman is not fantasy.
Its fiction...science fiction maybe...but not fantasy.
There is nothing supernatural or beyond the realm of our reality.

You are correct to nitpick that film in the way you are suggesting.

I would not put Batman and WWZ in similar categories.
Now, had you suggested Superman, or Thor, or Captain America, or Bugs Bunny, or CSI Miami....

Superman had to duck when a gun was thrown at him.
Otherwise it would have bounced off his "super" steel head,
with "super" bounce force,
and flown out of a window at "super" speed
falling at "super" velocity
and possible hurt a small child who was playing in the street below!

He ducks to avoid collateral damage.
Thats because he's a swell guy...and "super" too!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
As with all fiction, we must suspend our sense of disbelief to enjoy the film -- but there are limits before the inaccuracies ruin our enjoyment. Back when I was a kid or young adult, movies used T-6s as Zeros and Me108s as Me109s, because no real Zeros or 109s were available. Even the Spanish Messerschmitts in "The Battle of Britain" looked wierd. Modern computer simulations made the planes look far more realistic in "Pearl Harbor," so it was terribly ironic that the overall movie sucked. The worst irritation is that too many producers and directors seem to think that all their viewers are too stupid to distinguish one plane from another. If we could demand our money back, the way we can with other bad products, perhaps they'd clean up their act.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:58 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Come Dave......... we all know zombies are real, heck National Geographic did a show on zombie alligators in Florida............

But seriously..........right, I did like it and also think it ended kinda funky like, but my main gripe is that it seems that they had no kinda of technical person at all when it came to the so called real parts of the movie............ I mean a 12 year old kid knows more than they do about the hardware being used by the military.

It's not like they did not want to spend money on effects and equipment, I mean they did rent the helicopters and repaint them and the AN-12, it's just that no one on the set went........"Hey, that's a Russian transport taking off from an American carrier. Don't you think it should at least be an American airplane?"

There have been some movies that make an effort to get things close if not right........ "We Were Soldiers" CG'ed an A-1 Skyraider and other period aircraft to do the bombing scenes.......... and not just used "not period" planes like Hornets and and Warthogs!

As much as movies cost to make all I'm saying is don't skimp on the real stuff if you don't have to, and don't just wing it when there are plenty of people around who can help you make better decisions........... and make the movie more realistic, even if it's about zombies or any other crap that they make now a days.

My Drawings
Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2014, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
These discussions are always a lot of fun. I have more problems with documentaries than fiction. In movies, there will always be problems with historical accuracy. Take Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Um, just kidding

Last edited by Vermin_King; 06-18-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Thought of worse movie than the first one listed
Old 06-18-2014, 06:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I sentence you all to watch Army training movies for the weekend...
Old 06-18-2014, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Question Availability and money

Recall back in the 60's in any WW2 movie, all the German tanks were M-48 Patton? How about the Battle of Britain movie? All the Me-109 fighters were equipped with Merlin engines and looked goofy! Same with the Heinkel 111 bombers with the Merlin engines and the ADF antenna covers on top.

How about the hairstyles in 633 squadron movie ? One guy looks like Elvis with his black hair trying to pass for a Scandinavian, and the woman have the puffed up hair do.

And yes, all the Iron Eagle movies were shot in Israel, so naturally you had the American F-16 in the IAF colors instead of the US AF or the F-4 in IAF instead of Soviet schemes. Same with the tanks and APC's

Top Gun is another beauty! The Mig is really an F-5 painted back.

The list goes on.......

If it is not readily available, then the movie folks get the closest looking equipment. If it is too expensive, then they go to the former Eastern block for planes and helicopters.

Today with CGI, they can make anything. But that stuff is also expensive and time consuming.

Regarding WW Z, that was such a bogus movie that I could not wait for it to end. And all the B.S. about the end of the world, and naturally in Jerusalem of all places.

My thing with the movies and TV shows is seeing one airplane taking off and when it lands, it is a different plane altogether:

Anyhow, its all fun stuff.

Cheers

Isaac
Old 06-18-2014, 07:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfer View Post
I personally suffered a bit watching Gravity. Not that I'll be able to detect mistakes in the ships/stations, but please, no, you cannot go from Hubble to ISS (and then to the next stop) like you go to your neighbours next door to ask for some sugar*.

*source: hours of failing missions in Orbiter .
The physics were awful as well...

Later! OL JR
Old 06-18-2014, 07:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
The "destroyers" in Pearl Harbor really looked out of place and made and old sailor cringe.
Google Adsense