PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-07-2009, 11:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Actually very early 70's and they did get some serious flak about them. A guy that I met that used to work for Aurora said that the combination of not really getting the tooling costs paid off on those due to having to drop them and the poor sales of the 1/16 Drag Racing parts which were really expensive tooling was what pretty much did the company in.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I do not like to share that I am victim before, but to see a toy victim it minimalize my own experience and painfulness to see it just on a box like some thing to play with or look at. It is just strange to me. I suppose analogy would be ok you are in the army and in war and everyone you know die. And you come home and see box full of not just solder model, but box of dead soldier. The soldier model is ok but the dead soldier it is in poor taste I feel. Perhaps sentiment is different some in USA?

I do like monster such as Frankenstein etc. I have no problem over that. I think those are a good idea.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Good point...

You'll find a lot of unintended insensitivity here. I am, reminded of the old detective magazines, or pulp fiction covers.

We, as a species have a strong urge toward fantasizing about the darker side of our nature. Even our humor is often expressed at the expense of someone else...thirty minutes of major TV network viewing demonstrates cruel, schoolyard humor that is often accepted as "normal."

The trick is not to ignore the primitive parts of our character; they always pop up that way. Nor should we revel in it at other's expense.

The balance is found through educating yourself in cultural differences and existential philosophy.

A hard thing to do with an ADD-addicted culture who downplays the value of self improvement and intrinsic revelation.

Till then we will crank out an endless supply of victims; plastic or otherwise.

The DC

Ps. I still find it interesting that you liked the “Cage.”

Hmmmm.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:26 AM

Oh I have fantasy too LOL
Old 05-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Tell us about it...

...but type it slowly...

The DC
Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 PM

Yes I charge $7.99 a minute for that slow
Old 05-09-2009, 12:27 AM

Well....

With the hyper-inflation we are heading into...that won't add up to much!

The DC
Old 05-09-2009, 03:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
More information on Aurora's infamous "Monster Scenes" (which some claim mortally wounded the once-great plastic model company) can be found here:

A Shroud of Thoughts
Under "Aurora: the Company That Monsters Built...And Destroyed Part Two "

MONSTER SCENES

arglebargle!: Mad about Aurora

Note the "Victim's" hasty name change.

I remember as a (very) young kid seeing that comic book ad for Monster Scenes and wondering "What were they THINKING?" Even at that age I knew Aurora was asking for trouble. While I considered Aurora's first classic movie monsters acceptable subjects, torture chamber play sets were simply too much. (And I knew full well that Mom would NEVER allow them in the house...) ;-)

The downfall of Aurora was a pity. I enjoyed building their armor, aircraft and ship models, and many kits were never produced again. After the company assets were sold off, some molds were destroyed in a train crash while others were melted down. Among the "lost kits" was the Seaview from "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" -- a recent reproduction was reverse-engineered, not recast from the original mold.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:46 AM

Exclamation

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

The DC
Old 05-09-2009, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Interesting history. Wished it had a little more on their automotive models. They had a series of 1/16 brass era kits that were really nice. Also a 1/25 60's sports car series that has had several of them reissued by Revell-Monogram. Also a couple of double kits from the early 60's where you could build both a stock version and a hot rod/custom of a 22 Ford Model T and a 34 Ford coupe. Then the 1/16 drag racing parts that I'd mentioned in an earlier post which bring ultra high dollar on the collector market.
Google Adsense