PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 08-13-2021, 07:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Started with Beechcraft Bonanza and ended with Boeing 727 200f. Gave it up 30 years ago. Long hours , lousy pay and safety and maintenance concerns. Takeoffs and landings can be pretty exciting but the rest is pretty boring.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
This is not about flying personally, but a story that I like to share. Many years ago, it seems, I had a friend who had two boys, about 13 an 15. I had a couple of U-Control planes that I was not flying (family takes lots of time) so I gave them to the boys. The older took to them like candy! Next thing I heard, he had won a few contests....flying skill overcoming clunky airplane. He entered college, and Air Force ROTC and took up radio control about the same time, excelling in both. After graduation, he took flight training and fighter school. Became an instructor. After that career, he joined Delta, and will soon retire as a Captain flying heavies.... I wonder if I can convert him to paper models next?
Old 08-14-2021, 04:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great story, Jim! Warms my heart.

Don
Old 08-15-2021, 05:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 713.11 MB
Civ: Tri-Champ, C-150
USAF: T-41, T-37, T-38, KC-135A
Old 08-15-2021, 06:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
After reading my input on my N3N paragraph, I realized that I left out too much information. These were orientation flights to see if we had the capability of acquiring the skills of a competent aviator. Thus the task of monitoring only 4 gages, while the instructor monitored the whole cluster. Yes, we did learn how to take off, land and taxi, but only for evaluation purposes (we were never intended to reach the level of solo). With the T34 and T28 it was still an evaluation, but at a much higher level. The hours we "logged" would have allowed us to solo (VF only) in a civilian aviation situation (but we were not allowed to log them). Once again, we never soloed.
Google Adsense