PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-10-2015, 11:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
"The Eternal Zero" quick movie review.

“The Eternal Zero”

Not to give any spoiler, it is a factional story about a 26 year-old young man name Kentaro Oishi discovered his grandfather is not his maternal grandfather. And so Kentaro begin searching for his real grandfather identity and discovered he was an Imperial Japanese Navy pilot took part in Pearl Harbor attack and killed in action in a last Kamikaze suicide mission toward the end of the war.

The movie is a lot like "The Men's Yamato". Even it is factional, it put the human side in the faceless kamikaze that I see so much in WW 2 documentaries films. For the actions, it got some really nice scenes. But for the c/g goes, it feel outdated even the movie was released in 2013. The c/g looks like it is made for video game cut scenes, but still good stuff. The story, I like the story. And yea, it made me shed a tear or two.

Over all, I like “The Eternal Zero” dvd (at the time I order the movie the blue-ray was not available anymore) enough that I would recommend to everyone.

Enjoy.
Google Adsense
Old 11-11-2015, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I really enjoy non-English films...I will check this one out.
I have enjoyed quite a few Japanese and Asian films on WW2.

There have been a few Russian war films just recently, dealing with WW2 history.
Some of them quite good.
Stalingrad is a CGI filled epic...but its very very good.

Unfortunately they like to over-focus on "the heroic stand" of units or groups at historical sites.
But the common theme is the epic loss of civilians and soldiers.

I just watched another recent film, I forget the name, that focused on the beginning of the Russian war with Germany
and the invasion of a "citadel" town. The first half of the film was good, but the second half was just an endless
battle scene...German soldiers advancing and slaughtering everyone, Russians defending and dying. No other story.
Honestly, as a movie, it just got tiresome. I guess, the focus, once again, was the heroic stand these soldiers made.

Often, we in the west, are unaware of the unimaginable situations the Russians faced in WW2.

Last edited by airdave; 11-11-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Your review, Allen, reminded me of Hayao Miyazaki's "The Wind Rises", which is the story (part fictional part factual) of the guy who engineered teh Zero fighter airplane.

By the way, I loved the cover of the movie tou are recommending.

How about a modern movie about the Bismarck?
Old 11-20-2015, 11:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
I like "The Wind Rises", too. I do wish Miyazaki would put some zero development in the film. Bismarck movie would be great!