PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-04-2015, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Futurliner model?

In the current thread Racepaper Xmas 2015, Cafe Carlos includes a link to a picture page for Knaus and other RVs. Halfway down that page is a picture of a GM Futurliner of the 1950s, which blew me away. Only a handful were made, none of which were done as campers or even buses. But something about the style really grabs my attention, so I can't help thinking that one could be a terrific model today. Even better would be a real RV that copied the style, except that I couldn't afford it.
Google Adsense
Old 12-04-2015, 05:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
There was a 1/43 resin done of it, plus a couple of diecasts.

Several people have/or working on stratchbuilts in 1/25. The most detailed being Joel Dirnbeger's project. The General Motors Futurliner

Here's one I photographed at a truck show in Cal that had been converted to a transporter. Futurliner No. 5 resurrected as a car hauler, comes up for sale | Hemmings Daily
Attached Thumbnails
Futurliner model?-gm-20futureliner-20modified-20side-20lf-xl.jpg  
Old 12-04-2015, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Just bung an Airstream Trailer body on an old La France pumper and you'll be 90% there Yale.

I must admit that it was a strangely attractive design though. I wonder why it had so few windows?

Back in the 50's a lot of my people (Fairground Roma) converted single (and a few double) decker busses into mobile homes, but few were kept in service due to the high mpg costs, and (as Winnebago owners know) they ain't the best thing to nip down the shops in. So in the 60s the three bedroom Concorde caravan / Transit van combination became more the Norm.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Just bung an Airstream Trailer body on an old La France pumper and you'll be 90% there Yale.
Never thought of that! Did the fire trucks also have center-mounted steering wheels?

I must admit that it was a strangely attractive design though. I wonder why it had so few windows?
Because they were designed as promotional vehicles -- like the whole wall would swing up and open, to make the interior like the screen end of a theater. They weren't really meant to carry people. But for a modern RV that copied the styling, a row of porthole windows would be great.
[Fascinating! The system doesn't recognize the colored comments, says I must enter at least 10 words here.]

Tags
picture, page, style, futurliner, model, attention, grabs, buses, current, thinking, copied, afford, real, terrific, today, thread, halfway, rvs, cafe, includes, carlos, knaus, 1950s, made, campers