PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-23-2015, 07:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I upgraded to Windows 10 and had no problems with the upgrade or since. Everything works the same, as far as I can tell. For me the big jump was getting adjusted to Windows 8, which came with the new computer. Windows 10 didn't seem significantly different to me.

But keep in mind that I am pretty stupid when it comes to computers.

Don
Old 12-23-2015, 08:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleslie48 View Post
I've got xp machines that are still running just fine.
same here works fine for me
Old 12-23-2015, 08:27 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleslie48 View Post
you left out windows NT, and windows 2000 windows NT was right after 98. and in following with the pattern was awful, but it was at least ambitious. windows 2000 was really windows 98 dressed up like windows xp and was fine, I had it and fortunately skipped over windows me and went to xp. XP was the windows 2000 with all the fixed windows NT stuff.
Unless you were in a Business/Office/Enterprise setting, that is the only place you saw NT and 2000, then jumping to XP Pro and now 7 Enterprise.

at least that is how i remember working with windows
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 12-23-2015, 08:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Unless you were in a Business/Office/Enterprise setting, that is the only place you saw NT and 2000, then jumping to XP Pro and now 7 Enterprise.

at least that is how i remember working with windows
yes, that would explain my dealings with them.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7about a month ago. Took a couple of hours with no problems during the upgrade. When it got done though my Favorites were gone as was System Mechanic, saved passwords were gone, etc. I know there is some way to save them so you can recover them after the upgrade but the instructions I found were like Greek to me. Couldn't get back to Win 7 fast enough.
Google Adsense
Old 12-23-2015, 09:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7about a month ago. Took a couple of hours with no problems during the upgrade. When it got done though my Favorites were gone as was System Mechanic, saved passwords were gone, etc. I know there is some way to save them so you can recover them after the upgrade but the instructions I found were like Greek to me. Couldn't get back to Win 7 fast enough.

Oh wait: never, ever upgrade a computer ever. I would only consider it on a new machine. In fact, I don't even do the updates. I've never had a virus, but then again I know my way around the internet.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.57 MB
working on a new HP Spectre X360, Windows 10. Really nice. I think if you have a new computer with a good processor, it's great. I would hesitate upgrading an older machine. Windows has always suffered from manufacturers selling cheap and underpowered machines whereas Apple has consistently controlled both hardware and software sides of the equation. IMHO, a well configured windows 10 machine is pretty good; as good or better than many Macs. The laptops/hybrids (Surface & some other brands) being sold out of the Windows store which are specially configured with minimum bloatware are the best.

There are some changes in interface from Windows 7, but not too radical. All of the basic stuff is still there.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Two months ago, my good old Dell running XP kicked the bucket, and I had to buy a new machine on short notice. Bought a new HP Pavilion, came pre-installed with a Chinese-language-only version of Windows 8. Single-language versions of Windows cannot be changed, even by upgrading. :-\ So, I bought a new copy of Windows 10 Pro on a USB stick, and upgraded.

So far, I really like Win10, it runs great on my system.

The upgrade was a bit involved, with multiple re-boots and re-entering of the product key, but once installed, Windows 10 has been remarkably stable. Overall, it strikes me as a solid and very well-designed operating system. The user interface is generally intuitive and easy to use.

If you don't want to share your personal data with Microsoft, you need to educate yourself about how to turn off all the "spyware" settings. I bought the "Pro" version because I read that some of these settings cannot be changed in the standard version. Beyond that, I really have no serious complaints.

I'm running Win10 on brand new hardware, which may make a big difference, so you should take that in consideration, and do a bit of research if you are considering upgrading an older machine.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:05 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
I've got Windows 8 with a program that makes it emulate Windows 7. I like it. I'll stick with it.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
I went from XP to seven because certain programs on my system ceased to work after XP was no longer supported. Can't upgrade to 10 because my graphics card is outdated. So I'll stay with 7.
Google Adsense

Tags
asked, dozen, find, times, windows