PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-24-2015, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
I run my newer machine with 7 and my older (~8 years) with XP, and they both work just fine.

My wife was a Systems Admin. with a very large company for ~30 years and she thinks that if your system setup is running well, you have the proper virus protection etc and your company isn't forcing you to change/upgrade.......DON'T.

Leave functioning systems alone and If you buy a new system, use the system it came with, unless you have a really good reason to change it.

Her thoughts,

Swampfox
Old 12-24-2015, 08:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post

My wife was a Systems Admin. with a very large company for ~30 years and she thinks that if your system setup is running well, you have the proper virus protection etc and your company isn't forcing you to change/upgrade.......DON'T.

Leave functioning systems alone and If you buy a new system, use the system it came with, unless you have a really good reason to change it.

Her thoughts,

Swampfox

very good advice. I heard that same advice many years ago when I was working with a team of mechanics at a plant. There use of the vernacular had it worded so that there was no mistake:

a functioning system is like a hard on. if you fxxx with it, your gonna loose it.

as I advanced with engineering, that same expression was cleaned up into the engineers motto:

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
Absolutely, fully agree !
My pc is eight years old, running on 7 with a new videocard and it still runs. good enough for me. Just do a little cleanup regularly.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:05 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleslie48 View Post
you left out windows NT, and windows 2000 windows NT was right after 98. and in following with the pattern was awful, but it was at least ambitious. windows 2000 was really windows 98 dressed up like windows xp and was fine, I had it and fortunately skipped over windows me and went to xp. XP was the windows 2000 with all the fixed windows NT stuff.
Yes, that's why I specified "desktop versions" but maybe I should have called it "consumer versions". I also ran NT 3, NT 4, 2000, a few Server versions as well. But sticking with the "consumer" versions (the versions you'd find on PCs from Best Buy), then the every-other theory holds.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 12-25-2015, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
I also got my computers upgraded to Win10. I first completed my sons laptop and then tested all my necessary software on his laptop to make sure Win10 played nice with my software. Once I was satisfied, I did my desktop and haven't been happier. This desktop came with Win8 and after I got the Win8.1 update my computer got a memory leak somewhere I could never figure out and would lock up the computer often. Not anymore with Win10.
Google Adsense
Old 12-25-2015, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.13 GB
Thanks for the replies everybody I think I'll stick to Windows7 for a while longer.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWest View Post
Thanks for the replies everybody I think I'll stick to Windows7 for a while longer.
LOL. my son just bought a new computer last night. windows 7.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:31 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Well, I decided to upgrade the other day.

All is fine - all my programs, even the old ones (Warzone, AOE etc) all work fine!

I am running an old netbook by the way......

Tags
asked, dozen, find, times, windows