PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-23-2015, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.13 GB
Windows 10 yes or no

Has anyone tried Windows 10 and if so do you like it. What are the problems and advantages with it. I know this has been asked a dozen times before but I couldn't find it.........I'm old.
Google Adsense
Old 12-23-2015, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.13 GB
Never mind I just read a bunch of reviews and I'll stick with Windows 7
Old 12-23-2015, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Agree with you since I wasn't really happy being forced to W7. Still not that happy about it.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
A few months back I bought a new all-in-one computer (actually a refurb. at an irresistible price) that came with a new 64bit Win7 Pro install on it. I made sure it all worked OK, then couldn't resist poking the upgrade to 10 button, before it got filled up with my junk. Be prepared to spend a few hours setting it up and it takes a little (but not a lot) of playing with to get used to the new layout, but I'm quite liking it now.

So much so that I cleared down my old Medion MIM2120 laptop, upped it from XP to Win7 pro (With a hooky disk), registered it OK and let it bed in for a week ... then opted to 'GO 10'. I think it nearly got there, but after an hour of clicking, whirring, and much router activity, it announced that MS couldn't find suitable chipset or video drivers for it, and re-installed Win7. I had a poke around on line for suitable drivers and latched onto a link specifically for them via a Russian forum and jumped in.

Dunno exactly what happened next, but I spent the next few days removing all sorts of malware crap. I don't think I actually picked up any viruses, but as there was nothing of value on the laptop, I eventually opted to re-format and re-instal Win7 from the disk. So, laptop is back up and working OK, but until I can find suitable drivers for it, Win10 is a no go there.

However, a cheap Chinese tablet (with quite an impressive spec and Win10 installed) drifted past my nose and I couldn't resist it. I've been ignoring tablets so far 'cos I can't speak Android (or IOS and Linux for that matter), but a 10.1" Win 10 tablet for less than £100 ... couldn't resist it. Of course, me having to wear gloves most of the time wasn't helpful for learnin' to drive a tablet, but included in the box was a click on/off keyboard, so I'm gettin' there.

So, being slowly surrounded by Win 10 'puters, last week I took the plunge and clicked the 'GO 10' option on my Primary rig. All the important stuff on this is automatically double backed up and duplicated on a two drive NAS unit, so I just left it fully loaded for the upgrade. Risky or what?

Again the upgrade (Again from the same hooky version of Win7 pro, but x32bit this time) took a few hours to complete, and regularly summoned me to click a yea or nay selection. Unbelievably the upgrade went in great. All installed software has transferred over fine, and I've had no problems with it since.

Oh yeah ... one little mystery after the Win 10 Update went in a couple of days later ... Just before shutting down for the night I went to do a CCleaner scrub ... only to find that it wasn't there?? Nowhere to be found ?? I can only assume that the Win 10 update uninstalled it?? No problem ... I had the CC.exe file stashed on the NAS. It installed fine, updated itself, and it's been running OK since.

OK, I admit that there's been quite a few instances of 'How do I do this now' but I'm an old duffer and slow to learn new things. Not once have I considered clicking the 'Go back to 7' option though. I'm not finding any big problems with 10 at all, and I'm rarin' to embrace the future ... what little of it I've got left, that is.

Last edited by JohnM; 12-23-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:47 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Yes, stay with 7!!!!!! I have a surface pro and upgraded to 10. In a word, well, can't use those words here.
I have to admit, ten is a bit better, but that's not saying much. Seems the more I use it the more it does and the more I get thrown for a loop.
To confuse things even more, I also use a MacBook Pro and iPad pro but there's issues with them as well.
Guess I can't go back to Windows XP. Give me the ole DOS commands.
Google Adsense
Old 12-23-2015, 05:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
I upgraded to 10 back in July, and I can't say I've had no problems, but certainly no more than I had with 7. The upgrade itself took about 2 hours, and when completed everything I had previously was still there and working fine. There are a few differences between 10 and 7, but if I can figure them out anyone can. That's my experience- your mileage may vary.
Wayne
Old 12-23-2015, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWest View Post
Has anyone tried Windows 10 and if so do you like it. What are the problems and advantages with it. I know this has been asked a dozen times before but I couldn't find it.........I'm old.

I've got xp machines that are still running just fine.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.32 MB
I have 7 and it's perfectly fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :P
Support us on Patreon
Old 12-23-2015, 07:21 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
My experience with (desktop versions) of Windows is that they alternate between solid and terrible. Pretty consistent through the major versions:

Win 3.1 - probably the "true" beginning
Win 3.11 - added networking and was a solid "OS" (still DOS)
Win 95 - new concept, no DOS, wasn't great - promised USB support, never really worked
Win 98 - finally got right what 95 was trying to do
Win ME - Awful, don't remember what the advantages were supposed to be
Win XP - Great - ran this OS for a decade
Win Vista - Ugh.
Win 7 - Combined the solidity of XP with the flair of Vista and it worked.
Win 8 - Pretty bad, really aimed at touchscreen tablets, must admit didn't really run this one personally
Win 10 - Seems pretty solid. I've installed it on a laptop and a Surface Pro and it seems to work nicely. Snappy still on the old hardware, everything just worked.

Although I don't see why they have to keep changing the control panel around. When digging into the depths of the config, it doesn't matter that it's pretty, it matters that the settings are easy to find, where you've always had them. /Rant.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 12-23-2015, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cMags View Post
My experience with (desktop versions) of Windows is that they alternate between solid and terrible. Pretty consistent through the major versions:

Win 3.1 - probably the "true" beginning
Win 3.11 - added networking and was a solid "OS" (still DOS)
Win 95 - new concept, no DOS, wasn't great - promised USB support, never really worked
Win 98 - finally got right what 95 was trying to do
Win ME - Awful, don't remember what the advantages were supposed to be
Win XP - Great - ran this OS for a decade
Win Vista - Ugh.
Win 7 - Combined the solidity of XP with the flair of Vista and it worked.
Win 8 - Pretty bad, really aimed at touchscreen tablets, must admit didn't really run this one personally
Win 10 - Seems pretty solid. I've installed it on a laptop and a Surface Pro and it seems to work nicely. Snappy still on the old hardware, everything just worked.

Although I don't see why they have to keep changing the control panel around. When digging into the depths of the config, it doesn't matter that it's pretty, it matters that the settings are easy to find, where you've always had them. /Rant.
you left out windows NT, and windows 2000 windows NT was right after 98. and in following with the pattern was awful, but it was at least ambitious. windows 2000 was really windows 98 dressed up like windows xp and was fine, I had it and fortunately skipped over windows me and went to xp. XP was the windows 2000 with all the fixed windows NT stuff.

Ironically, I am still running a number of windows 8, and they are not even updated to windows 8.1. The thing about windows 8 is you can turn off just about all the annoying additions add third party freeware to fix up other things, and the system is actually pretty good. It handles multi-tasking processes a little better than windows 7. It is a bit of setup work to get windows 8 to work though.

I also still run lots of windows 7 and work will not even consider windows 10 yet. we still stick with windows 7 for all business machines.
Google Adsense

Tags
asked, dozen, find, times, windows