PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-21-2016, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Best way to get instructions translated?

I've decided I want to build the Roman liburna from this site: Mondorfer Bastelbögen

Regardless of my username, my German skills are limited to about four words. The PDF file is created in such a way that I cannot copy and paste the text into a on-line translator. What's my next step?

Any suggestions? Does anybody know of any OCR applications that work reasonably well on PDF files? Those that I've seen only allow the first page to be translated. I suppose I could break the file into separate pages ....

Thanks,

--jeff
Google Adsense
Old 12-21-2016, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.91 MB
Maybe these Tips might help...

How to Translate PDF Files and Word Documents with Google

Alan
Old 12-21-2016, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Let me see what I can come up with.
I tried copying the text and paste it into a translator but the pasted text was a bunch of symbols. I then tried translating the pdf using the built in OCR in Adobe Acrobat but it returned an error stating that the text is rendered.

I will capture the text with the instructions using a capture program then OCR the pictures and translate the text.

It looks like the first part of the text in the pdf is just some background information about the vessel and Romans.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:37 PM

Thanks, VP and SCE...

I was able to do the same thing, run the pdf through a OCR program and then upload that text to Google translate. Not pretty, but I think it is good enough.

Though, as always, on-line translations provide some unintended humor. I've never excreted scarified model parts before.

--jeff

Quote:
Rumpf:
A If the liburna be represented with oars, benétigen the fuselage parts lecher,by
are gefijhrt Speter the helm of the lower row. It is recommended that this lecher
beforeassembly to puncture with a needle. You must at each Ruderdurcthhrung
at the bottom be present. This Lecher were not distinguished, so that
liburna can also be displayed without a rudder - eg fiir a port or shipyard diorama.
- Glue Rumpfverstérkungen (A-J) on a piece of gray cardboard and cut out.
° body parts (5 and 6) excrete, scarify the Kiel center, molding, and
stick together. The battering ram is intended to be glued together fléchig.
° Rumpfverstérkung (A) from the inside to the seam between part (5) and (6) adhesive bonding.
Cut ° body part (7), scarify the Kiel center, molding, and stick to the hull.
° Rumpfverstérkung (B) to the inside of the seam between part (6) and (7) stick.
Cut ° body part (8), scarify the Kiel center, molding, and stick to the hull.
° Rumpfverstérkung (C) from the inside to the seam between part (7) and (8) sticking.
Cut ° body part (9), scarify the Kiel center, molding, and stick to the hull.
° Rumpfverstérkung (D) from the inside (8) and (9) stick to the seam between part.
Cut ° torso portion (10), scarify the Kiel center, molding, andto the
stickhull.
° Rumpfverstérkung (E) from the inside to the glue seam between part (9) and (10).
"
Old 12-21-2016, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Here is a little bit better translation in a .txt file as the attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: txt roman boat instr.txt (7.7 KB, 22 views)
Google Adsense
Old 12-21-2016, 07:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
My suggestion

Any translation is either nonsense or misleading ( example as you found out ).

Discard any written instruction and only concentrate on graphs,figures or photos. You need the visuals.

I stopped reading instructions as a kid ( and I fully understood the languages ) and just relied on the visuals. 50 years later, I am still doing fine. I built Polish, German, Russian, Hebrew, Japanese and English language kits and really never read any of the instructions written.

Isaac
Old 12-22-2016, 05:50 AM

@SCEtoAUX, Thanks. That is indeed a much better translation.

@Isaac, The visuals are not much help with this one. There are a number of photos of the fully assembled model, but only one of it under construction. While most of it seems obvious, there are a couple of mysterious parts. I'm hoping I can figure out where they get used by studying the construction sequence. In reality, though, I probably won't know where they go until I've started assembling the model.

--jeff
Old 12-22-2016, 11:34 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
This Just In...,

Google Translate has suddenly become at least an order of magnitude better in translation as explained in this rather long (but interesting article) on the New York Times. Besides that it will fill you in on what's going on with Artificial Intelligence mostly from a Google perspective.

I haven't tried it to translate Polish Paper Model Instructions but from the results I've gotten on other subject matter I'd say it will rather surprise you...,

-Gil