PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-14-2017, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yeah, well it turned me into a newt! But I got better.

The latest update only took about 1.5 hours. The settings I put into effect were still enabled afterward so the more obvious intrusive features are still turned off. Don't know what else is hidden in that OS, though. I am glad I taped over the camera lens.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
I am glad I taped over the camera lens.
Hee hee ... Mark Zuckerberg tapes over camera and microphone y'know? Mine being a desktop, they are both simply unplugged until I need them. In fact they were unplugged before I went up to 7. Just don't seem to have a use for them. I'm not actually sure where the microphone is ... Must be in the spares box.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Bought a brand ne laptop three weeks ago. It came with W10. All its been doing since buying it is upgrading. Called Dell yesterday, after our conversation decide to buy a W7 system on eBay, once it gets here will convert to W7.

Like Dave, will not ever go to W10, better off learning a new system than letting this happen again. My ACAD and other programs don't work, wide format printer doesn't work. Don't plan on buying any new programs just to be able to work with the W10.

What a piece of doey!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-14-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:56 PM

OK, I admit it ... I have had a problem with Win10. I bought a cheap Chinese tablet (Linx 1010) for £30 in order to edumacate meself to using one of these newfangled portable things. It came with Win10 installed and a clever click on/off keyboard. Seemed great when I first started it. It guided me though all sorts of setup procedures, updates and settings. I got on OK with the touch screen which I've never used one before (No I don't have a smart phone), and I played with it happily for an hour or so before I shut it down, but I didn't instal anything on it honest!

Switched it on the next day only to be told that it was ready and waiting to instal the Annual Update. Now I knew that would entail installing a whole new OS, 'cos I've already done it on three PCs, but I let it proceed anyway. Shouldn't have done that! It did it's own thing for ten minutes or so, then stopped. It announced that there wasn't enough memory installed to instal the update ... and proceeded to remove the update and re-install the earlier version of W10.

Well it sort of has, but now it will only work with the keyboard attached, and steadfastly refuses to believe that there's a touch screen available. I've also had to block all updates to prevent the AU kicking in again until I can figure out how to increase the available memory. Memory cards and usb keys are all seen as storage drives not usable memory, and IF it CAN take more internal memory, I ain't figured how to get the back off yet to see how.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Memory cards and usb keys are all seen as storage drives not usable memory, and IF it CAN take more internal memory, I ain't figured how to get the back off yet to see how.
Well you could use a hammer, but then again the next one that has the proper memory will cost more....

Was thinking of getting my first Ipad, for flying an airplane. Yep, lots of cool apps to fly with, however after reading more decided to get an actual GPS designed for flying. Don't have to pay for data usage, can actually see it when the sun is bright etc.. You do have to buy a subscription for the moving maps, just like paying for the apps, but then again don't have to pay money for the streaming data fees.

I came that close to buying one! Read up on what I was getting ready to do, decided a pad wasn't for me. Garmin Aera 660 GPS is what I bought.

The different pads can do some pretty interesting things. Using GPS apps you can get moving map displays, even adding a "stratus2" can show you traffic in your area as well as real time weather for flying.

Good luck with the memory!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-14-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 01-15-2017, 12:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Perhaps there should be a class action suit on behalf of every consumer on Earth. That might put a stop to W10. I'm using W7 and can't switch to 10 as I still have the older NVIDEA GeForce 6150LE card in mine. I really miss my XP.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at6 View Post
Perhaps there should be a class action suit on behalf of every consumer on Earth. That might put a stop to W10. I'm using W7 and can't switch to 10 as I still have the older NVIDEA GeForce 6150LE card in mine. I really miss my XP.
Just like the "monopoly lawsuit" it won't work. We are not the customer, the computer manufacturers are. We are called end users.

Until the manufacturers get the message, not much we can do.

Buy custom built machines with your choice of an operating system is one option. Switching to a MAC another.

Or, like I just did, buy Windows 7 Professional ($34.99 w/free shipping) off of eBay and load it yourself. This gives until 2020 (end of W7 support) to figure out what your next machine will be, or Microsoft to fix the mess they're creating.

Mike
Old 01-15-2017, 04:37 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Not a bad plan Mike!

I'll persevere for the time being - now I have got my machine right again!
Old 01-15-2017, 07:32 PM

With me it was a case of CBM Basic to GEOS to NT to 95 to 95plus to 98 to 98se, very brief visits to 2000 and Me, and onto XP.

I was perfectly happy with XP so Vista and Win8/8.1 never got a look in.

My son was using Win9 and liked it, so when a naughty copy of Win9 pro came my way I installed it in a sandbox, liked it a lot and eventually moved it onto C: and let XP go. There is another PC under the desk that still has XP on it though, and for that matter there's another one out in the shed with 98se on it.

Now there was an empty sandbox on my main PC ... and 10 was being given away free, so why not put it in the sandbox and give it a go ... as I said earlier ... I've learned to like it and now use it all the time. It works for me!

In this part of my life, this old dinosaur seems to have caught up a bit. So much so that I'm now poking my nose into the modern world of Android, smartphones and tablets (Not goin' near iOS). I've even got a couple of Drones . Of course I can't drive any of this modern stuff proper like ... but I am tryin'.

When it comes to computers in cars though, I've had enough. Much as I luv it, soon as I can dispose of this ol' gas guzzler Range Rover, I'm determined to go back to a '60s Triumph Herald, or as is lookin' more likely a Vitesse (Wiv a bit more zoom, zoom, zoom to it). They don't even have relays in 'em, let alone CPUs and engine management. Sod the price of petrol ... the 15mpg V8 Rangie didn't break me so a 2lt 6 pot should seem quite frugal.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
I had troubles with the upgrade to W10 from W7. Eventually I ran into a freeze at log-on issue. A known problem with a risky (for my shaky typing) DOS Edlin solution. Well, no data lost - I just couldn't get to it. The machine was a screamer when I bought it seven years ago. Now I was doing the screaming. I modernized the motherboard, power supply, memory and installed an SSD for the boot drive. The rest of the machine was fine even though elderly.

I was done fooling with up grade W10 and various ISO W7s and W10s so I plunked down for a retail W10 on the cheapest looking flash drive I've ever seen. Never the less, I got a clean install onto the SSD. Everything worked right off the bat. All my software and drivers were fine. Including two little freeware programs that went back to NT4 and some hardware - scanner - that went back to the turn of the century. Under W10 I've had very little tinkering to do. Mostly privacy stuff also mentioned in this thread.

You are going to hate this: boot time from a complete shut down (not sleep) is 14 seconds. At that point I can open whatever and get to work.

So I'm with you guys that had problems with W10. BUT, I'm now solidly in the W10 camp. It took me three months of saving $$ before I could do the fix. Those three months on an XP machine were excruciating. So darned sluggish.

Last edited by Lighter; 01-16-2017 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Just can't leave things alone.
Google Adsense