PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-05-2017, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
A good model deserves good pictures. Find a second hand camera with manual possibilities. lots of those around: 'real' photography fans always want the latest. And yes, go for nikon or canon.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
My best advice, no matter how much you want to spend, is to shop hard and smart. Really take the time to read specs and reviews by other purchesers.

If your hands shake, definitely consider some sort of tripod, huge help. Or a camera with image stabilization. Of course both of these add cost. Also a camera with a viewfinder for your eye will be steadier than holding one in your hands looking at a display. The position of holding the camera against your face helps naturally steady it. However this can be a huge added cost.

More pixels does not always equal better photos. Again read reviews.

I rely heavily on Amazon for reviwes. I'll look at some of the good reviews but spend more time on the lesser reviews. I want to see the complaints more than just gushing "golly-gees". Also it tells me if the negative review should concern my use of the item. Even if you don't buy from Amazon I like the reviews.

ASAP, take the time to lea n how to get your photos from your phone to your computer. More importantly than storage space, it's a matter of having them backed-up.
Small tripods and a phone mount are fairly inexpensive. You can probably take fine photos with your phone. There are many inexpensive apps that give you much more ease and control than the camera app that came with the phone. Right now I'm liking ProCamera. Seperate focus and expose points. Shutter speed control and some decent editing/effects. Think it was $5. Also PS Express from Adobe for more basic editing. Though I prefer doing my editing on the desktop or laptop.

Good luck. Shop. It does look like some good $50.00 units out there! Let us know what you end up with.

JoeG
Old 11-05-2017, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I found used Olympus camera with charger i perfect working condition for a meal.Seriously.I talked to guys at work,mentioned that I'm looking for a camera of some sort and dude said He will give me his for paying for his lunch.10 $ later I had a camera working for me about 6 years now.

Moral of the story?Talk to people around you and don't shy away from used stuff.
I fould a lot of good stuff this way for cheap and some friends (got few dates too ).
Old 11-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Diderik and Butelczynski both make good points. 2nd hand cameras are fine.

Ask around - lots have people have extra cameras, because as Didericlk points out everyone always keeps going for the latest and the best. And they will either sell these to you for next to nothing or give them to you.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
call me a dinosaur but i still keep a good olympus 35mm that uses film for general photos.i think for now a usb/snyc cablw and my mobile is a better option for my model shots
Google Adsense
Old 11-05-2017, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Does your phone have wifi capabilities, and do you have a wifi connection at home.

Wifi file transfer was an option for me for awhile, as Android to Mac vis USB was dicey in the beginning.

I can give more details if you want.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post
Does your phone have wifi capabilities, and do you have a wifi connection at home.

Wifi file transfer was an option for me for awhile, as Android to Mac vis USB was dicey in the beginning.

I can give more details if you want.
will check that out .i connect it to computer with syn/charge cable but cant get photos to go into computer.im computer thick rather than phone thick
Old 11-05-2017, 05:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
when you connect your phone to your pc via cable, what do you see?
on the phone? on your pc?

my smartphone asks me if i wish to be connected for the purpose of charging
or to transfer files.

once I click file transfer, I can view the files and folders on my phone (and its installed memory card)
in the same manner as I look through any hardrive or folders on my computer.

my older smartphone did not ask...when i plugged and connected to the pc,
I immediately got a window on my computer, similar to when I attach a flashdrive or external hardrive.
Again, I could just look through folders on the smartphone.

if you don't have autoplay options in place, you might get nothing when you connect your phone via cable.
In that case, click My Computer, and look at attached drives/devices.
You should see your phone and/or its memory card listed under Devices with Removable Storage.
Click into that device and look through the folders.
Look for Camera and/or DCIM for your camera photos.

You can drag (or cut and paste) any photos out of the DCIM folder to anywhere on your PC.
Attached Thumbnails
camera technical help-phne-connect.jpg  
Old 11-05-2017, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Airdave covered pretty much everything I was gonna suggest, but there is one other thing to bear in mind. Some USB charging cables do NOT have the data pair connected. They are only meant for charging the battery. However, all digital cameras should have the data pins wired as well. Possibly your cable is damaged, or you're using a wrong 'un

When i connect my cheapo little Olympus camera to a USB port on the PC, the camera throws up a few options to choose from. I always go for 'Storage'. On this setting it will start recharging it's battery and appear to the PC as a USB drive ... which contains a DCIM folder ... which contains a 100Olymp folder ... which contains all my photos as .jpg files. These can then be transferred to my desktop by drag & drop.

The camera can also be used to store other files in the DCIM folder by drag and drop, but the usefulness of this depends on the size of the memory card. I have put a 128mb card in the camera. Way too big for the amount of photos I take, but useful for transporting other files like the odd instruction book .pdf ... or hiding those naughty vids from the Mrs.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:02 PM

when phone is plugged into pc i get icon for the phone on devces and printers page of control panel so its picking up the phone.have no idea what to look for on phone
Google Adsense