PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 08-29-2007, 05:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.32 MB
I bought as a first model the Bismarck from WHV, as you know I am still working on him. Crazy enough, I had tried a few downloads from the internet before, went over the Intermodellbau-fair in Dortmund, saw the kit, remembered the movie from Carpenter and bought it - for the "happy reaction" of my wife as I came home... Crazy mostly, as around THREE small models were build before the buy, with more or less success. You can imagine how proud I feel upon the positive reactions and answers for my build-thread on kartonbau.de ... Now, getting more and more secure The Lützow/Deutschland from WHV is already waiting and for my model-railroad Villa Braun from Schreiber.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Deleted....momentary lapse of reason.

Last edited by Phil; 08-30-2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: un-ruffle those feathers!
Old 08-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
As a recovering addict/alchoholic, I resent these implications.
Obviously you guys do not know what a disease or addiction is.
Lucky for you!
Modeling is NOT one of them.

Call it an obsession if you want, but it is more of a passion and it CAN NOT KILL YOU like diseases or addictions.
I'm sorry, but this is another subject I WILL NOT take lightly.
Definition of addiction from www.dictionary.com below - while the primary 'a' definition does not fit, it is certainly a correct use of the word that card modeling can be an addiction - and in no way makes light of more serious addictions.
ad·dic·tion (ə-dĭk'shən) Pronunciation Key n.
    1. Compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance: a drug used in the treatment of heroin addiction.
    2. An instance of this: a person with multiple chemical addictions.
    3. The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something.
    4. An instance of this: had an addiction for fast cars.
    1. The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something.
    2. An instance of this: had an addiction for fast cars.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Facilitator

Total Downloaded: 368.13 MB
While I could have said compulsion instead of addiction, I think you have totally missed the jest of the posts. As to my use of “addiction maybe”, the Wikipedia states the following.

Quote:
An addiction is a recurring compulsion by an individual to engage in some specific activity. The term is often reserved for drug addictions but it is sometimes applied to other compulsions, such as problem gambling, compulsive overeating, and hyperreligiosity[1] Factors that have been suggested as causes of addiction include genetic, biological/pharmacological and social factors. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addiction)
You are taking the very narrow view that addiction only refers to drugs or alcohol but as states above while “the term is often reserved for drug addictions … it is sometimes applied to other compulsions”.

Further down the Wikipedia article, it lists casual addiction.

Quote:
The word addiction is also sometimes used colloquially to refer to something for which a person has a passion, such as books, chocolate, work, the web, running, or eating. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addiction#Casual_addiction)
As I said, the post was made in jest. I think everyone would agree that an addiction to drugs or alcohol is on a whole different scale from the hobby of card/paper modeling.

Jason
Old 08-29-2007, 04:44 PM

The FG Boeing B-29, it was my first model as well.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
...and don't forget that you need to have 4 or 5 partially builts lying around while you work on one that you just couldn't wait to get to!!!
Phew!! I thought it was just me!! :D

The first model(s) I bought was the book "Paper Airplanes 2" By Michael Johnson. But I can't bring myself to puch the parts out. So, I bought the Bombers CD from Fiddler's Green. I have part of the B52 done.....
Old 08-30-2007, 11:06 AM

I apologise for ruffling feathers, I know the statement was said in jest.
I disagree, but, I removed my post anyway.

Have a good day friends!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Like some before me, I had an FG model as my first purchased. It was the Cessna 172. Now I have about 15 FG models.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
I purchased my first paper model in 1966. It cost one boxtop and two quarters, or was it the other way around? I was a P-51 Wheaties Tru-Flite flying model. Surely though there's someone on this forum that purchased the original Rigby models back in the 40's the first time that they were offered as Jack Armstrong/ Wheaties cereal premiums.

Cecil
Old 09-01-2007, 12:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Feeling smug since I just recently bought my first paper models from Model Factory a few months ago. Then the memory banks kicked in with: What about the B-70 and the Ford Tri-Motor you bought at the Air Force Museum in the mid 80's?...and the Curtiss Jenny since it was 1/24 scale...and etc. Oh well, guess I've got it along with the plastic bug.
Google Adsense