PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
I can always allow the forum to go to pot, just let me know
I don't there is any criticism of the way in which this site is run but basic engineering does suggest that it is always useful to have a vent for pressure release lest one's boiler explode for the lack of...most, if not all, of the forums I have been a member of have had a lounge-style board for just that reason...and I have yet to be a member of any board where the members were able to religiously confine themselves to solely the core subject of that board...
Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
(And Rick Ok'd both closings, so yes you are throwing dirt at him).
I'm voicing a concern. It's a much different thing, but if the distinction is lost on you then perhaps the whole point is moot.

I - and some others, it seems - would just like some clarification.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Posts about the way Zealot is being run are essentially DEAD HORSE threads.

Stop creating them.

It's like when your out on a date with someone. If all they can talk about is their EX then it's not going to work out. You either have serious issues or your still in love.

Move on. The admins over there are wasting your time here. There is nothing to debate here, your just going to get worked up about something that is out of your control as well.

A note about the mods and admins here, I think they have put up quite enough of former members of Zealot here and that includes my posts as well. To give them crap over the closed threads is rather disrespectful when you consider the treatment we have all suffered on the other forum.

COME ON!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 PM

The Zealot-related threads are NOT the issue. I have absolutely no problem with them being closed.

I apologize if I did not make that clear.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I am concerned that many of the modelers who PM me will stop visiting the forum if they have to keep surfing through a number of deep political or religious debates every time they log in just to try and find the build threads and design discussions that is what they come here. The forum is papermodelers, not 'socialization of the US' or 'US pop culture' or 'religious views on xxxx topic'. Yes we allow an off-topic forum for the occasional non-card modeling discussion that may come up, but as threads come up that we get a number of members asking us to close, or that we generally feel will cause non-modelling related heated debates, I believe they will do nothing to help the members enjoy card modelling and enjoy hanging out here. That's what the tenants of the board and my moderation duties are - to further the enjoyment of the board for card modelling. I am going to continue to do my duties as such, until I am relieved of them
Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
I am concerned that many of the modelers who PM me will stop visiting the forum if they have to keep surfing through a number of deep political or religious debates every time they log in just to try and find the build threads and design discussions that is what they come here.
We had this issue on a Forum I was Moderator of some time back. The Admin there enabled a feature in the User CP that allowed each member to block certain areas of the Forum from appearing in "New Posts." For example, a member could specify that he/she did not want anything from Off Topic to appear when they searched the new posts. If there is to be an Off Topic area here, this might be a way for members to avoid having to slog through posts they aren't interested in, or end up somewhere they wish they hadn't. Worked pretty good over there, for those who used it.

And not for nothing, the Off Topic area of that Forum makes the worst that's ever happened here look like an Amish barn-raising.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Facilitator

Total Downloaded: 368.13 MB
Well I guess I should chime in on this discussion since it involves the actual running of the forum. It is always a tough call to close a thread and while we might sometimes jump the gun and close a thread. I see us as a community and while we have moderators/administrators, I prefer to see us more as facilitators who are just trying to make our hobby a little more enjoyable. We are all protective of our community, so we might make mistakes sometime or jump the gun, but it is not intentional and we are just trying to do the best we can based on our past experiences. If anyone has a problem with the forum, please drop me a PM. I am always willing to listen and I might not be aware of the problem.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 89.45 MB
I'm here because there's lots of well-moderated talk about paper models and related things of common interest. ( I would consider Fireball XL-5 a related thing; constitutional law, not so much. Not politics either, unless it is something like that papercraft mechanism of cowboy Bush waving in front of an oil well.) There are precious few such places, especially since last month.

Now I do know of a board that operates with no noticeable restriction on topic. It is the papercraft and origami board of 4chan. If you are unfamiliar with it, go take a look, but be prepared to wash your brain out afterwards. There is no limit on saying anything, short of an FBI assault van rolling into the poster's driveway ( and that has happened--they call it the "4chan party van.")

I am not making a point about freedom of expression or politics or anything. It's just I've seen an unrestricted papercraft forum, and it doesn't work. It is of no actual value for discussing paper models.

And I like this one.

And Armorman's title missed the point of his own thread, the news that most people would really care about it, if they hadn't been turned off by the political hot-button pushing. The title could have been: "The Haggard is Sick!"

Can we send the brother a card or something?

If I buy a paper model that arrives damaged, I am not going to start a thread titled, "Think twice before you fall for Socialized package delivery," or "Beware Exploitive Capitalist Roaders of the Papercraft Cartel."

But "Exploitive Capitalist Roaders of the Papercraft Cartel" would be a good name for a band.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
I personally like to see threads about cardmodeling and all things related to it. I try to avoid others.............. But, as an old, retired military/teacher and generally cranky old man :pI can be drawn into voicing my opinion on various things:o. This takes away from my valuable time to view build threads, opinions of various models, tools used, and problems with any of the above.
This is not to say that I am against any threads that contain political/Zealot/or general venting. These things will not interest everyone but can serve a purpose for many who feel the need. These threads need to have a time limit imposed on them maybe (??). Maybe when they start to become repetitive (??). Or something.....
I believe the Admin and Mods of this site are doing an excellent job, do I agree with everything.....maybe, maybe not. It is a heck of a lot better here than there (you know where), here people listen and talk/explain with you.:D

Yea Rickstef! Keep it up!! Go Mods!

Maybe a time limit on this thread too??
Old 07-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
It was never my intent to cast aspersions on Rick, Jason, dansls1 or anyone else. I hadn't really thought about this until I saw the thread. If nothing else I have gained a better understanding of the purpose of the lounge here. I extend my apologies for any offense caused. I'm happy. I hope y'all are happy too.
Google Adsense