PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-08-2009, 06:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.54 MB
Closed Threads

"Got something you just want to get off your Desk? This is the place to do it. Kick back and see where the conversations take you. Any discussions not related to paper models is welcome."

Two closed threads here in the last two weeks, not counting the Zealot-related threads. Although I'm only a very occasional participant in this Forum, I feel obligated to express my discomfort. The worst I saw in either of the closed threads were differing opinions, a few ruffled feathers and a little soap-box rhetoric. No personal attacks, no inappropriate language or content, no threats, no flaming, no name-calling, no baiting. I've been a Moderator and I've seen all kinds of good reasons to close down a thread - I didn't see any here.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to run this place, but I feel that if you're going to allow "any discussions not related to paper models," then you have to allow and expect opposing viewpoints and a little spirited debate. Shutting down any discussion of "controversial" topics or any thread in which a member takes offense to statements made by others is, well, hypocritical to the stated purpose of this section of the Forum. It's also a little dictatorial.

If you guys don't want any non-modeling content here or want to specify topics that aren't allowed, you need to say so. Remove the Off-Topic section, or post some rules. Short of that, those members that don't want to participate in such discussions can simply not read the Off-Topic threads. I'd encourage the latter option, but this isn't my sandbox.

Not allowing free discussion in the area intended for it - shutting down threads that have not violated the rules or spirit of the Forum - is poor policy and I find it very disturbing.

Just something to consider.
Google Adsense
Old 07-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I noticed that too, and will go so far to say, it seems to be the same people. You can hate me, it's O.K.

Influx of many people, confusion," it's all happened before, it will all happen again", or was that "Battlestar Galactica".
Old 07-08-2009, 06:48 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Eric,

Would you like to see some guidance in that description?

I have learned that certain topics will incite tempers and raise bloodpressure.

I have authorized the closing of some of the threads, because I wanted to get back on track with modeling.

I hope you can understand that.

I will try to keep a better eye on the Lounge topics, all the while trying to enjoy my vacation.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Sorry Rick, if I have upset anyone here. Although I stand behind my opinions, I guess there are better places to participate in a dust up. Not everyone enjoys a good debate on politics, religion, etc...too many get heated, or perceive insults when none are meant. I tried to express that in another post, but sometimes I don't write well.

You do a wonderful job with this site, and I sure do not want to add undue stress on a smooth running ship.

I will stick to modeling here and save my political opinions for the chat room during my wife's blog talk radio show.

Enjoy your vacation.

CT
Old 07-08-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Would you like to see some guidance in that description?
Yes. I don't necessarily have a problem with disallowing certain topics, but I think it's only fair and appropriate to let the membership know what they are. House Rules are fine; Secret House Rules not so much.

Thanks.
Google Adsense
Old 07-08-2009, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
I would be more comfortable with an admin closing topics, rather than a forum mod. In the two examples referred to above, the mod who closed the threads was not nominally the forum moderator, but rather someone who didn't like the way the threads were going. In each case, I think the threads were polite and respectful. If there is to be an off-topic forum on papermodels, then let it be open to off-topic discussions - unless they contain personal attacks or something of the like. Just my opinion. These actions bothered me, too.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I dont think there was ANYTHING secret. What do you feel was kept from you? I hope it was nothing. The threads were really just rants against another site (for the most part) I for one think it was about time to move on and focus on this site... but then again thats just my opinion too
Chris
Old 07-08-2009, 07:55 PM

Chris-

I'm talking about the Michael Jackson and Socialized Medicine threads, not the Zealot-related threads. Maybe that wasn't clear in my first post.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I add my concern regarding arbitrarily closing discussion threads in the off-topic section of the forum. As I've stated earlier, the core membership that forms this group, in its various incarnations since it first split from the paper models forum, wanted a group where adults could gather and, yes, primarily discuss paper modeling, but not be strictly limited to just paper modeling, with as few limitations on the discussion as possible so long as it remained civil. The group has flourished primarily because the administrators and moderators have stepped in only when absolutely required to keep a total donnybrook from breaking out. In the course of the several years the community has been going, I can recall only a few occasions where censorship had to be imposed. I cannot think of any modeling forum (in any mendium) that has done well once the moderators become noticably intrusive....and especially when they go the route of imposing double super secret probations.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARX2 View Post
I would be more comfortable with an admin closing topics, rather than a forum mod. In the two examples referred to above, the mod who closed the threads was not nominally the forum moderator, but rather someone who didn't like the way the threads were going. In each case, I think the threads were polite and respectful. If there is to be an off-topic forum on papermodels, then let it be open to off-topic discussions - unless they contain personal attacks or something of the like. Just my opinion. These actions bothered me, too.
Couldn't say it better myself...
Google Adsense