PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-16-2009, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I was 12 years old and proud to be an American. I watched Niel Armstrong take that historic 1st step on the surface of the moon, at that moment I ran outside the house located on a farm in NC, looked up at the moon and thought to myself, two men from the US representing the whole of the human race were at that very moment of time walking on the surface of the moon. I also felt that anything was possible if our world could reach out to another body in space. Another point was my Grandfather to his dying day said no man ever walked on the moon, that if God wanted man there, He would have put man there too! We could never get him to believe this really happened. As my life continued I would come across many others who also made this claim, but just as that pre-teen that ran out and looked up that night and believed, I still do, and look for the day we return.:DRick
Old 07-16-2009, 05:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I was in Oaks, Pennsylvania watching the landing.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.leliveld View Post
I remember it was in the middle of the holiday-season, and we where camping in Holland on a camp site,
Which holiday is that? My father took a Polaroid picture of the television screen after they set up the on-the-moon camera. I was enjoying the summer before my senior year in Pittston, PA.

That summer was also a personal "first" that I recall rather fondly. She came to visit her uncle, a school buddy of mine. Never saw her again after that summer.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:01 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Charles,

In Europe, vacations are called holidays

no relation to our Holiday Season
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
The day after graduation from USMCRD San Diego. Woke up in a squad tent that smelled of asphalt and mold to the sweet sounds of my Squad Commander banging on a trash can and yelling at the top of his lungs. Most of us had spent our day and evening after the festivities in the bowling alley drinking beer to celebrate the fact we were no longer recruits, this of course led to a rather lackluster approach to the morning. But when they passed out the assignments and I found out I was headed off to Camp Pendleton the next morning for Advanced Training I was sure I was indeed in H-E-double hockey sticks. Didn't find out about anything happening in the real world until a few months later, by then I was in Hawaii undergoing Survival Training. While they might have been going to the moon, I was far more interested in my next destination, a little bitty country on the Southeast corner of Southeast Asia and whether or not I may have been returning from my first visit to foriegn soil.
Google Adsense
Old 07-16-2009, 06:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Year 1 at primary school - at the time couldn't see what all the fuss was about as Thunderbirds had alreqady been to the sun AND had better cameras....
Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 PM

Nothing interesting. Lots of that going on. One of the few times I volunteered (and, never again) Riding top left '60 on an ARVN M113 when it took an RPG in the right fuel cell. I was lucky. I got blown off the track (through the MG mount) I think one other guy made it out, but I'm not sure. Woke up in Zama hospital two weeks later in 5 -way traction covered with burn salve and nothing else. Don't recommend it as a spring vacation. Stayed in; retired in '87.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
We were in our new house, the upstairs wasn't finished yet so the tv was set up in what was to become my sisters' room. My grandparents were there and I remember watching it on our little b&w. I wish I had been a little older so as I might have remebered more, but as it was I watched every rocket launch I could, and I knew this was something big.

I'd have to add, my favorite toy was my Major Matt Mason set. Wish I still had that suff . . .

Isaac Asimov
Old 07-16-2009, 06:41 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
First grade, Fort Sam Houston elementary school, San Antonio, Texas. They had brought in TVs to the class rooms so we could watch.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 33.47 MB
In the womb, 2 months more to cook.
Google Adsense