PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I was at home with my first wife, watching on our 10" screen b&w tv, doing everything but jumping up and down. Wow! What a moment in the history of mankind.

Now, I'm sitting in front of my computer, glancing over now and then at my big screen color tv. Seeing the old pix of that first lunar landing still fills with delight! FYI, I turned 78 in April. Physically, I'm and old fart, but my mind works as well as ever!

And as I sit here, I wonder at the stupidity of American people who still believe the entire lunar program at NASA was a fake.

Bob, the blueeyed bear
Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedbear View Post

And as I sit here, I wonder at the stupidity of American people who still believe the entire lunar program at NASA was a fake.

Bob, the blueeyed bear
Well, approximately every 30-years will bring the return of the Saturn Booster that is in orbit around the Sun and Earth.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...mysteryobject/

All of the Saturn boosters after Saturn 12 have been smashed into the moon so they could measure the density with detectors, but one of them is in an orbit as mentioned.

So, just how did the movie industry pull that one off?

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited by mbauer; 07-22-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
I was in my mom's womb, and born 6 months later.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:32 AM

I wasn't born until many years later (1980). But I wanted to share my own little personal story.

Last year I got back from my deployment and I left my truck home in Virginia. So when I got back I drove from Va back to Tx. I planned several trips along the way home on a sight seeing tour of sorts. One of my planned stops was to Huntsville, Al. I was there for 2 things. To see the Space and Rocket Center and to go see the Guns-A-Go-Go Chinook at Redstone Arsenal. Well I got to the Rocket Center in the wee hours of the morning. Which I might add is a great way to see your first Saturn V, all lit up and standing there. Since it was really early in the morning and the place wouldn't open for several hours I decided to go ahead and get some night shots of it.

Now this part is kind of a shame on me. I didn't know the importance of the exact day I was arriving there. It was July 16,2009. I was there exactlly 40 years to the day of the launch. Not only that, but they had a radio broadcast going on and I happened to be sitting in the parking lot of the Space and Rocket Center under the figurative shadow (it was night time) of a Saturn V, 40 years to the exact minute and exact second of the launch of Apollo 11. They had a countdown going on over the radio and I was just in awe as I listened to it while looking up at that rocket. It gave me goosebumps just listening to it and trying to visualize it happening with that rocket standing in front of me. I was the only person in the parking lot and as far as I know I may have been the only person to be looking up at one (are there any other fully erect Saturn V's standing verticle?) standing up 40 years to the exact second of that historicle day. And I did it by accident.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
wow WhickedClownInc
i get goosebumps just reading your post ans imagining what it might have felt like
both sitting there looking at it, and being in it forty years ago (or looking at it from the VIP stands or the surrounding beaches
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2010, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Kamser View Post
wow WhickedClownInc
i get goosebumps just reading your post ans imagining what it might have felt like
both sitting there looking at it, and being in it forty years ago (or looking at it from the VIP stands or the surrounding beaches
Got the same goose bumps!

They were very quickly replaced with envy!!

Best read yet, on this great thread! Thank you WickedClown!!!

Mike
Old 07-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Eternal Member

Thumbs up These Anniveraries are Great! (I am glad to see them)

I also (as an 18-yr old Canadian lad) watched the Eagle landing on my parents' B&W TV back in Winnipeg, MB. I was also brooding about a girl named Someone. (Go figure). As Ashrunner sez, I also tuned it in on shortwave. Ash: it is good to know that there are still some of us old, ace DXers still around.

It truly was one small step for man, and one giant leap for mankind. I am happy to (mostly) have been there!!

Jim