PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-30-2020, 04:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Spraying models..

So, I've never really attempted to spray coat a model before, I've only tried applying a thin coat of white glue to the sheets to form a film that's supposed to go beneath the varnish, to even out the spray when applied to inkjet prints and blank areas where it can absorb the spray and prevent it from being a smooth, consistent shine.

A problem with the glue method is that the spreading isn't always consistent, so I'm guessing it's not always the most conventional approach. But I want to figure out a new method to seal these kits I bought from the Czech Republic that are laser printed.

I have heard of fixatives that you apply before the assembly, and then you spray lacquer or acrylic varnishes. Fixatives here are damn expensive, and I don't know which types I should get...

How do you folks seal your models, and give them a pleasant shiny finish? I'd be happy to learn some pro tips.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I don't know if it is available there, but I use Krylon Cear Matte and Krylon Clear Satin. Gloss is too shiny. Satin gives a pleasant sheen
Old 07-30-2020, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
I think acrylic spray (matte, semi matte) as used by painters to protect vulnerable drawings etc is also suitable.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:35 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I just use a cheap matt varnish - spray can - from the rack in the local hardware store. Works 100%. Just test it first.

Before building, if the texture after spraying worries you, just take a piece of paper and rub it lightly over the surface a couple of times

I used to use the Citadel Matt varnish before - also does an excellent job, but costs like over twice the price here.

All my models are laser printed - by using this method nothing cracks and there is no flaking.

An advantage of vanishing also is if you are touching up with watercolor pencils or paint you can wipe off any mistakes after, or blend different colors nicely.

I also do a respray of the finished model to fix any touch ups, like along the edges.

----------------------

There, with Didericks and Vermin Kings input now as well, you are spoilt for choice!
Old 07-30-2020, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I've been experimenting a bit with Zinsser spray shellac. Light coats on both sides of printed piece before I start working on them. So far seems to work pretty good. I get it at Ace Hardware and its a bit expensive, but they run coupons a lot. Also have used artist fixatives a lot. Also expensive, but I had a lot left over from art classes. A cheapie version we used in my earlier drawing classes (when I was a really poor art major) was the cheapest hair spray you could find at the outlet stores. Is seemed to be just a clear lacquer (can't imagine spraying it on my head); but it worked.
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2020, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.90 GB
way back in my collage days (1988-1992), in our art class we used a spray product called "Dull coat" and "gloss coat" to protect ink, charcoal, and chalk drawings from "smudging". I was at Hobby Lobby about a week ago and seen some, so I know it is still sold in the art section.

The "Dull coat" has no "shine" at all.... its hard to tell that you sprayed anything on the project.

The "Gloss coat" adds a very high "shine" to the project.

However, somehow, I have never though about using that on paper models until now.

I normally use Krylon Clear Satin, but it darkens the inks several shades.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Thank you for your responses!! Sounds like Krylon sprays work well, I couldn't find any domestic shops that sold their products, though... I will take a look at some art shops to see if there are some nice fixatives and varnishes. Acrylic based sprays seem hard to find here, though..
Old 07-30-2020, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Tamiya or Mr. Hobby matt varnish worked great for me. Bear in mind that no matt varnish removes the reflection completely, if that is what you are aiming for...