PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-26-2021, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSMissouri View Post
Now, that is a behemoth.
Agree with ya there. It's gotta be one of the ugliest craft ever built, but I for one would love to see it, even in this tatty state. It must have been an awesome sight in its active days. Even more so than my fading memories of seeing the Short Princess flying boat going through her flight trials as a lad. That was also a thing of beauty though.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Agree with ya there. It's gotta be one of the ugliest craft ever built, but I for one would love to see it, even in this tatty state. It must have been an awesome sight in its active days. Even more so than my fading memories of seeing the Short Princess flying boat going through her flight trials as a lad. That was also a thing of beauty though.
i believe this was more of a sea skimmer craft
Old 03-26-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
i believe this was more of a sea skimmer craft
It is/was an ekranoplan. It's not actually an aircraft or a boat. It uses what is called a surface effect pressure to sort of fly just above the surface. Similar but not the same as a hovercraft. They would probably operate effectively over flat ground too, but I guess water was more effective and more forgiving for take-off and landing. Unlike a hovercraft, the ground effect cushion only occurred at speed, and you can imagine it would need quite a high speed to lift a huge beast like this.

There also exist much smaller ekranoplans like the ESKA-1. (Google it). and very similar crafts (WIG Bavar-2) that were (are?) operated in the Gulf by the Iranian navy, which were often incorrectly referred to as sea skimmers.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
It is/was an ekranoplan. It's not actually an aircraft or a boat. It uses what is called a surface effect pressure to sort of fly just above the surface. Similar but not the same as a hovercraft. They would probably operate effectively over flat ground too, but I guess water was more effective and more forgiving for take-off and landing. Unlike a hovercraft, the ground effect cushion only occurred at speed, and you can imagine it would need quite a high speed to lift a huge beast like this.

There also exist much smaller ekranoplans like the ESKA-1. (Google it). and very similar crafts (WIG Bavar-2) that were (are?) operated in the Gulf by the Iranian navy, which were often incorrectly referred to as sea skimmers.
lol i can spell sea skimmer
Old 03-28-2021, 05:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.06 GB
This must be a contestant in the ugly contraption awards. A type C ekranoplan

The weirdest aircraft by looks - Bartini Beriev VVA-14 | MiGFlug.com Blog
Google Adsense
Old 03-28-2021, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
Let's see the hospital ship. I'm tired of war planes.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:36 AM

Wow! OK, I said I would like to see it in action, but I wasn't expecting to get the history, development, test flights, live firing, and even an onboard guided tour. I only wish that Google translate could handle speech as well as text.

Thank you very much Alexey, and welcome aboard PM.com. I don't think you are the first Ukrainian here, but I don't think there are many. Don't be afraid to talk with us too. Your input and opinions will be valued here. Google translate is pretty good, and we are quite forgiving on the odd bloopers it can throw up.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Will give John's Wow! a second. Thanks for posting the links.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:59 PM

Somehow this thread has been diverted off course and we are all talking about the Lun class ekranoplan. Lun-class ekranoplan - Wikipedia but the original post title was "Caspian Sea Monster" which was the name given to the earlier much larger KM ekranoplan, which crashed during sea trials and eventually sank in the Caspian Sea. Without the missile launcher tubes this was a much better looking craft. Caspian Sea Monster - Wikipedia

I have found a mp4 video of the KM in action, but I don't seem to be able to attach it here.
The video I have is also partially shown in this link given by AlexyOld above http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/r...%3DjMng2Pu4-e8

And here's the video ... Caspian Sea Monster Ekranoplan Flight Video - YouTube

And even better ... the full story ... What Happened To Giant Ekranoplans? - YouTube

I have found a model of the KM ... but it's not paper, and ya ain't gonna like the price. Anigrand craftswork model kit Alexeyev KM Ekranoplan Caspian Sea monster. Includ...

Last edited by JohnM; 04-24-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Google Adsense