PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 04-14-2021, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 142.69 MB
I feel quite fortunate to have gotten my first shot a couple of weeks ago and the rest of my family have all now gotten their first shots as well.
Here is the US, we are still losing just under 1000 people a day nation-wide.
To put that in some context on an average day during WWII the US death total was about 400 soldiers a day.
But we are lucky to have millions of doses to give to our citizens, as most of the rest of the world is wishing they had even 10% of the doses we have.
The county I live in, just past 50% of adults have now gotten their first shot.
I can see the light at the end of tunnel for sure.
Best to the rest of you as you wait for it to get to your area as well.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFleischman View Post
My comment to the vaccination doubters is, when was the last time you heard about polio? People of my generation were still getting it when we were children. It’s all but been eradicated in the US since the 60’s. I still remember the sugar cube, I was probably in kindergarten.

Kind of a sad state of affairs
I remember Polio well people not much older than me were badly affected. However, although I've always been a supporter of traditional killed or attenuated virus vaccines this CCP-Virus vaccine should give most people pause for thought. All of the current crop of CCP-Virus vaccines are based on technologies (mRNA or synthetic viral DNA) which are new and untested in human populations. The attempts to make a vaccine for SARS using the same techniques were an abysmal failure - all the lab animals died. And we have about zero virus in Australia - Queensland has had 9 CCP-Virus deaths since the start of 2020 - all people who contracted the virus outside Australia and died here. And the Government is pushing an untested vaccine because ...?

Charlie
Old 04-15-2021, 03:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.61 MB
Perhaps to save lives
Old 04-15-2021, 05:17 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Indeed!

Bottom line is that any proven side effects from COVID vaccines are minimal. The chances of developing such side effects are also minimal.

The chances of getting COVID are far far higher - if now, then in the future.

And the consequences of getting COIVD are serious - death and well as LONG COVID.

Having Long COVID can be debilitating - including extreme fatigue, continued loss of smell or taste, faulty small, brain damage etc - but suffice to say:
  • Present stats indicate 1 in 20 people may get Long Covid.
  • Put another way 7 out of 10 people hospitalised are likely to develop it.
  • It is now felt that 1 in 5 may be permanently disabled.
  • Effects such as brain damage are irreversible.
  • Long COVID affects all population groups - from children to the aged.
Another factor to consider when vaccines are rejected, is that this leaves the population sections who are not vaccinated open to infection - there is then a high risk of COVID mutation, which will probably render certain vaccines ineffective over time. This is why mass vaccination programs are being promoted.

-----------------------------

Lastly while obviously, one should not discourage discussion on this topic, I would suggest care in how matters are approached, especially since many of us have lost friends or loved ones due to the reality that is COVID, while others are suffering from Long COVID.

Rather back to focus on the topic of this thread - 1st Covid-19 vaccination!!
Old 04-15-2021, 07:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Well no one told me you could get vaccinated against shingles in old age, so I didn't. Now I suffer long lasting neurological pain that some days makes me almost wish I was dead.

NO WAY am I going to risk Long Covid.

We are lucky that we are an island and that people have accepted medical advice and worn face masks when needed, washed hands frequenty, kept social distance and been generally responsible, so that so far we've had only 4 deaths in my State.

BUT that doesn't mean we couldn't be hit by a wave in future and if not enough of us are vaccinated we would be as vulnerable as anyone else has been already.

AND as an elderly person with severely compromised health (including cancer, currently in remission but udoubtedly waiting it's chance for a come back) I'm tired of all but self-isolating since before - Slow Mo was still going to the footy on saturday.** - that's 13 months ago.

NOR do I want to put others at risk were I to contract Covid.

** Australians may be able to identify the bit in italics.
Google Adsense
Old 04-15-2021, 10:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 518.43 MB
My wife and I have both recieved our first and second jabs of the AstraZenica jabs. I was a bit off colour for a couple of days, but my wife was fine. Most people prefer the AZ or Pfizer over here. No blood clots!!!
Old 04-17-2021, 06:17 AM
Eternal Member

Great news Bob!

It looks like South Africa has managed to secure some (not many - 900k) doses for next month. Even so, they look to be vaccinating into next year to cover the whole population.

The doses needed are around 59 million.

Sadly, the shortage continues due to a number of countries overbuying multiples of each vaccine type. I presume they will all expire shortly and be thrown away. Last week the UK purchased more!

The graph below shows the over purchasing.
  • It is up to date except for the recent UK purchases.
  • It counts double dose vaccines as one.
  • So Canada for example has bought enough vaccine to vaccinate their population of 38 million eight and half times over!
  • The top 6 countries have bought over 2.3 billion doses!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
1st Covid-19 vaccination-2021-04-17_12-46-36.jpg  
Old 04-23-2021, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Received Pfizer #2 yesterday.

No noticeable affects initially, but last night as I prepared for bed I began to notice a few muscle aches and joint pains.

This morning... Not quite Dave Barry's "Martian Death Flu", but I did consider not going into work. Took an Advil, talked myself into going to work, and soldiered on. Once I got moving around, the aches and pains went away.

One of our apprentices, who received his second dose just before me, looked like death warmed over. Of course, the fact that he did an overnight shift, napped in his car, and then pulled a regular day shift may have had a bearing on that!
Old 04-23-2021, 11:10 PM
Eternal Member

Maybe Glenn!

------------------------------

I didn't know you could get a shingles vaccination either! Today I may go to get my flu vaccination, so will check if they do them here.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:31 AM
Eternal Member

So - went and had my flu vaccine. Asked about shingles vaccines - they do them but it is Sheduled here so you need a prescription. Next time I see a Dr (if I remember).