PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-26-2021, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 592.55 MB
legality

it occurred to all of us to make a model ... we imagine it holding it in our hands ... in a piece of furniture ... something we like (racing cars, airplanes, and endless etc)
and without knowledge, we start looking for it on the internet ... the specific model (for example: an airplane / car / boat etc of a specific year, a specific site, with specific markings, of a specific pilot .... rarely It is like this), a general model that brings us closer to what we want (for example: a blue car ... which we will repaint later) ...
then .. you come across sites / blogs / pages dedicated to papercraft ... those that have thousands and thousands of models """"all free""""
... happy we found what we wanted, we clicked download pdf ... and voila, to print !! ... we closed the internet ... and we forgot the page.
... until we realized that that design / paper (yes, that one) seems to have a "name", "cover", "logos" and a lot of design on each sheet ... yes, we realized that this model is "paid" ... and we got it for free.

I grew up ... and I realized that there are people who, because of their HARD work of designing those models, sell them.
and in these pages they find them free ...
(That in my country, everything is extremely expensive, it does not excuse me for this. If I want it, I must pay)

there are only two problems:
In these pages, the models are from many years ago, from Czechoslovakian, Russian, Japanese magazines ... from many years ago ... and we do not know if there are still for sale ... or just someone scanned an old magazine and everyone forgot ... and I post it for free. (I mean if the real designer cares about this)

even in "new" models (I've seen a 2005 car) the designer is nowhere to be found. It shows that it is a "paid" model ... and there they offer it for free. although later you do not see anywhere the model for digital sale.

... abc magazines, pages like XXXXXX, XXXXXX and many more examples, of internet pages, old and new magazines, on paper or digital, internet sites that offer everything, total, if the magazine is in format printed, you have the right to scan it for free .... (their thinking, not mine)

another problem is when a model is:
-from an old printed magazine (very old, real paper, paid)
-neither the owner, designer are "known" and "contactable"
-someone "re-improves" and "improves the details", "widens in every way the characteristics of the model"
-and offers it for free.

to do?
I, (who already learned to respect the work of others) if I have to look for a model:
-I look for free models .... and of all of them, I choose the "best".

payment, simply and unfortunately, I avoid them.

unfortunately, in my country, "plastic" models and all their tools are a hobby for rich people ...
and the dignified, humble and accessible papercraft is becoming a "mini-luxury" (everything is really expensive, I only use free models, and even so, I can hardly afford the printing. I also use "used" paper as "filler", to save sheets.)

thank you for the pacience. sorry for all this reading.

Last edited by Texman; 07-26-2021 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Remove pirate site names
Google Adsense
Old 07-26-2021, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Hey, I am very glad you are putting this much thought into this topic. Many do not.

There are times when I have modified a model and the original designer has given me permission to share it, and I do. Other times, I get no response, so I do not offer it.

I try to give credits to the point where I have had the original designer tell me that it isn't necessary when I have modified it so much, but I credit them anyway.

Even on a 50-year-old model, which is probably out of copyright, I try. Once it is over 100 years old, I don't try to contact the designer, but I do give credit, if possible.

I am just glad that you are concerned enough with ownership that you are giving it additional thought
Old 07-26-2021, 10:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Biggest problem is most people know whether a model should be free or not, or if its pirated, and won't admit it.
They choose to ignore it, or they pretend they didn't know, or they look for some sort of excuse from someone else
in the hobby that will allow them to feel less guilty about handling pirated files.

Same thing goes for pirate sites...you have to be a real dummy not to know whats going on.
So if you say "I didn't know" you are most likely lying.
And nobody believes your excuses for why you were on the site in the first place! LOL

Old, out of sate models?
The idea that an author is unknown, or out of touch, or the model is out of print, or out of date...
these are usually just excuses, trying to justify reasons for sharing/downloading a pirated model.

If a model isn't available any more, there is often a reason...maybe the author doesn't want to distribute that file any more.
Maybe the author has replaced it with an updated version.
Maybe the original author doesn't own the rights to the model any more.
Whatever the reason, we can't just assume its fair game for sharing.

And while I appreciate that some people can't afford certain things, it still doesn't justify stealing or receiving stolen property.
There are plenty of legitimate free models out there, and if you ask nicely, some designers (like myself) will even give you a free (retail) model.
There is still no reason to go to pirate sites.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
I remember when I screwed up big time, thinking I had somehow found a "free version" of a kit that was still being sold, and posted it right here. How thoughtless of me... I was indeed a real dummy, my excuse is that I wasn't a smart kid and hadn't grasped the concept of stealing models at that point. Thanks to this community, I learned my lesson.

This is a massive, ongoing problem in paper racing cars, especially the models published by Czech/Slovak/Polish publishers. There are these people who either "rework" and freely distribute these models (even claiming they were the sole designers, I once got called out on a YouTube video, of all places, for saying that this model wasn't their original design) or just blatantly share the scanned images, of course, without the consent of the designers. I discussed this with some of the designers I got into contact with, and they were all very upset that this was happening, it was exhausting for them because they were popping up everywhere. And yes, these were mostly kits that are still being sold. A lot of teams dissolved and withdrew from publication because of this.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:45 PM

sorry if I explained wrong ... I do not do that (download for free, something "paid").

I only mention the problem of being "police", trying to find out everywhere that file comes from ... the author, the site ... etc ... it is very "tiring". they just publish it ... and nothing else. (no data).
I have to do all the detective work, investigating the provenance.

Anyway ... there is a model, (the one that I mention a thousand times) the 1991 Lancia delta hf integrale ... someone "improved" it to an extreme degree (they added a realistic cabin, the original didn't even have a cabin) ... and publishes it for free ...
at the time ... I wasn't aware of how serious this was ... I just did.
Google Adsense
Old 07-26-2021, 02:59 PM

if someone knows can answer me,
I ask right here:

-There is a model of LOTUS 49 "flattened" "cartoonish" version (as if it were a cartoon) very detailed, all the writing is Japanese ... I don't understand anything, I don't know who did it. I do not know if it is payment.
does anyone know?

-abc magazines ... and especially the F1 "spinler" models
I don't know who did it. I don't know if it's paid, does anyone know?

-the ferrari f40 from "kirzik"
I don't know if it's paid, does anyone know?

-lancia delta s4 by ondrej hejl
?
the lancia delta integral 1991 ... re improved.
-subaru impreza 06 wrc and suzuki sx4 (from japanese pages)
??
yamaha motorcycles are free ... but as the owner closed ... can they continue to "use"?

... and finally, I suppose that everything about ton noteboom, related to apollo, hubble, voyager, and space is free ... especially the improvements made by greel, and carl hewlett-surfsduke

I would appreciate it very much if you answered.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Ah, I understand what you mean now. I agree, it's great that you're bringing awareness to this forum. Most of the time, I just search for that specific model on Google to see if I can trace down the authour and publisher. Most of the time, I can find them.

My knowledge is limited, but all of the Formula 1 ABC Magazine models, including the ones by Petr Spinler, are all published works on printed booklets (paid). There are only a few free models by Mr. Spinler, which are available on his website (Formula 1). Anything else with his name are unauthorized scans being distributed without his permission. Same goes to names like Forum Team, GP Team, M.A.S.S., Orlik and PKAA. For F1 models, there is a database of nearly all of the models published around the world. It may be used as a guide to determine whether the model you're interested in is a printed model. papírové modely F1

I think I know those Japanese rally car models. They were freebies that are no longer available because the website shut down. I also wonder if it's okay to use tools such as the Wayback Machine to access archived websites to download those models, without violating the owner's rights. I guess sharing these models would be wrong because the owners most likely took the models down intentionally.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:50 AM

the subaru wrc 06 and the suzuki sx4 models ... from the japanese page ... are still active, and seem to be free ... (the detail is impressive, I really thought they were paid, for their level)

the problem is with yahama motorcycles. simply, yamaha closed, I do not know if the real owner did not want them to be published or not.

this waybackmachine. but would it be "honored" to do so?

I need to know the highly detailed LOTUS 49, in cartoon form. (Japanese-Chinese-oriental- whatever)

and those mentioned above.
I would appreciate very much to know where they come from
Old 08-06-2021, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
The subject of copyright law is arcane, and the task of understanding it is similar to untangling overcooked spaghetti and putting it back into the original packaging.
However, this might offer a few guidelines as to what can be legitimately copied and shared, or then again perhaps not.
Copyright expiration - another way works enter the public domain
Fortunately, the tatebanko I obsess over were created before 1923 in Imperial Japan, so they should be doubly unprotected by copyright, though I am sure there are exceptions.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 488.89 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by craft View Post
if someone knows can answer me,
I ask right here:

-abc magazines ... and especially the F1 "spinler" models
I don't know who did it. I don't know if it's paid, does anyone know?

-lancia delta s4 by ondrej hejl?

This two are paid, For rest I do not know.

Extensions for X-wing
Google Adsense