PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 08-07-2021, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 47.78 MB
Elon Musk SpaceX Starbase Tour (Everyday Astronaut YouTube)

On his “Everyday Astronaut” YouTube page, Tim Dodd has been posting a fascinating series of interviews with Elon Musk as they tour the SpaceX Starbase facility in Texas. Part #2 of 3 was just posted Saturday.

You can watch these from the Everyday Astronaut SpaceX Playlist:

SpaceX - YouTube

Cheers!

— TFM
Google Adsense
Old 08-08-2021, 02:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
This indeed is immensely interesting.
Firstly, it is great to see how open and honest Elon Musk is about the process and way of working at the factory. He tells a lot of detailed and -to me- super interesting stories about failures and mistakes in the development process that were corrected later on. It also is evident that Musk really has a profound knowledge of the ins and outs of rocketry. He knows a lot. I don't think Bezos or Branson know even the slightest fraction of what Musk tells about rocket building and orbital mechanics.
It also is amazing seeing him opening up to Tim Dodd as he does. He apparently sees him like the genuine interested person that he is, and not just some uninterested journalist. Dodd often throws with terms and numbers that trigger Musk and lets him formulate an elaborate answer about the subject. Dodd shows he really knows a lot more than the average newspaper guy sent by a news agent and Musk treats Dodd as someone who can appreciate a more elaborate explanation on the subject.
For someone who want to know more of the ins and outs of SpaceX I too really can recommend the interviews.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Hey cool, thanks pointing this out!
Now, do I run one while awake at 03:31am or wait till normal awake hours?
Old 08-08-2021, 05:29 AM

Well, if you are prepared for an hour of loudly beeping arm lifts, very specific dialogues on fabrication processes, specific impulse calculations, then i'd say, go ahead. Otherwise, wait til waking hours. (-:
Old 08-08-2021, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
It also is amazing seeing him opening up to Tim Dodd as he does. He apparently sees him like the genuine interested person that he is, and not just some uninterested journalist.... Dodd shows he really knows a lot more than the average newspaper guy sent by a news agent....
I spent four decades as an "average newspaper guy," covered Shuttle launches and landings, covered aerospace and plenty of other things (won a Pulitzer in the process...) and my colleagues and I were hardly "uninterested journalists." We approached the job with professionalism and a desire for accuracy.

There's no need to insult an entire profession just because the notoriously mercurial Musk warmed up to a particular interviewer.
Google Adsense
Old 08-08-2021, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Interesting channel.

Thanks for posting.

Watched several other of his videos. Great way to keep up with what's happening.

Yes, plenty of background noise, but willing to put up with it as Elon very candidly talks about his project.

Really like the part about changing newtons into tons. Also he says a few things that shows he isn't so school trained as to what he wants done and how he expects it to happen.

Great insight.

Mike
Old 08-08-2021, 05:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
There's no need to insult an entire profession ...
It likely isn't the entire profession that's being referred to but rather those who participate in a trend which includes, going back up to four decades;

The local news reporter in central Georgia who changed our immigrant classmate Suha's disapproval of a thing in town to approval of that thing to the point where her father sued the news outlet.

The multiple local reporters who grossly exaggerated a thing about a ship my Dad was second in command of at the time.

The multiple Kansas City tv station reporters who kept talking about the Russian Sukhoi fighter jet which had crashed at an airshow while all the time showing the radial engine and bent propellor of the Su-26 aerobatic prop job which had been the plane which had crashed.

And then there was the thing I was involved in ...

And then there was that thing where ...

And then there was ...

And then ...

And ...

And then there are the things I learned in the college years while getting in to advertising and radio and TV broadcasting after going for architecture didn't work out ...

And then there was what gave inspiration for the lyrics of Don Henley's 1982 song Dirty Laundry, they probably weren't inspired by nonexistent data points ...

Quote:
"I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something
Something I can use
People love it when you lose
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor
But I wound up here
I just have to look good
I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

We got the bubble headed
Bleached blonde
Comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash
With a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry

"
Old 08-09-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
I spent four decades as an "average newspaper guy," covered Shuttle launches and landings, covered aerospace and plenty of other things (won a Pulitzer in the process...) and my colleagues and I were hardly "uninterested journalists." We approached the job with professionalism and a desire for accuracy.

There's no need to insult an entire profession just because the notoriously mercurial Musk warmed up to a particular interviewer.
What? Did I insult an entire profession? I do not think so.

As a documentary filmmaker myself, with my roots in TV-news and journalism, I would never try to offend my profession. And "average" also doesn't mean "bad". Thats maybe how you interpreted it.
If you have covered space efforts for decades, you are just definitely not the uninterested journalist, David. So it doesn't apply to you.

So, don't feel offended.
There of course are lots of interested journalists.

Unfortunately, there still are people who know nothing more than to call anything going into space "a shuttle". And they are numerous. And omnipresent at press conferences.

I just meant to say there are lots of journalists without any knowledge whatsoever, always asking the same old stupid questions like "how do you go to the bathroom in space" kind of journalists. And it definitely is reason enough to be mercurial about journalists when they constanty to misinterpret your words and just want to get some juicy story for their paper or channel. I am far from a Musk fan boy, I like SpaceX though. But that is besides the point.
David, there is a lot of stupidity in the media nowadays. You should feel insulted by those people. The ones who cause these stupidities to be written and aired. They are the ones who ridicule the profession.

I shouldn't have had to explain myself in the first place.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I'm always interested in SpaceX stories. They're a major customer for the company I work for. We make load cells used to test rocket thrust and other forces. Last week we had 2 of these in the shop.
Elon Musk SpaceX Starbase Tour (Everyday Astronaut YouTube)-img_20210727_141850.jpg

They were supposedly to be used to lift the Starship onto the booster, though I can't find any clear images that show them. We calibrated the load pins that measured the strain and weight of the they bore. (Rated to 2 million lbs). As a scale hint, the green cones are 10 inches across.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 47.78 MB
The third and final part of the Elon Musk interview/tour was just posted today.

Again, this is in Everyday Astronaut’s SpaceX Playlist:
SpaceX - YouTube

Cheers!

— TFM
Google Adsense