PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 09-27-2021, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Purist or hybrid?

In my professional industrial model making career, and in my personal model building I have always used the the best material for the need at hand. In my thinking and from reading thru many of the impressive paper model threads, the majority of the builds are as close to pure paper / card as possible.

My approach is considerably unorthodox and by no means a purist of paper. I have a Modelik tracked dumper on the bench, and have already begun to layout more accurate track components that I plan on casting in urethane. Additionally all of the needed round objects, such as wheels by which the tracks ride on I am turning out of ABS & will have aluminum tubing "axles".

Does this style of hybrid modeling have a place here? I certainly do not want to offend anyone here, so I am asking now rather than later.

Thoughts,

AP40
Richard Mark
Google Adsense
Old 09-27-2021, 09:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Sounds good to me, the end results is what counts (at least to me). Maybe watching some of your work, will get me to dig that Unimat that I inherited out and learn to at least whittle a few things with it.

Its like when I was getting my art degree. As a graphic design-illustration emphasis used to get into some discussions with the fine art majors over what was acceptable. Eventually we'd agree it was what your end objective was and we'd all head to the student union for a beer.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
You don't have to look far here to see similar approaches.

There are 'purists', and there are those who like the challenge of making the attempt to keep everything paper, but I think most here just want to see a model. A well-done model
Old 09-28-2021, 07:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Agreed. Purists are out there - but I haven't met one yet and good for them. But I don't limit my material choices unless its a specific challenge or affect that I'm trying to achieve. And I don't look down on a builder for employing every skill and material at their disposal.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:47 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
This is a question that comes up from time to time, and it always generates many responses, so I’ll contribute a bit. Having been a member here for a while, I have seen a wide range of materials used to augment the basic paper/card model construction. So the builders here appear to be quite “forgiving” on the card/paper only standard. In my case, I have a lot of fun finding out how far I can push the use of paper/card. However, I prefer metal anchor chains. And wood is my backup material when paper/card simply does not work. So for most of us . . . we work out a compromise we are satisfied with. One rule I always try to follow, and that I recommend to others is to let viewers know what materials are being used. That allows everyone to evaluate what they are seeing accurately.
Regards,
Mike

Last edited by Michael Mash; 09-28-2021 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction
Google Adsense
Old 09-28-2021, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
I am not a purist. I use what is necessary for the project.

I've used plastic rod (round and hex), Meng bolt details, metal rod, photoetched parts, metal chain, ear bud cords, embroidery thread, etc.

Build how you want to build.

I assume your Modelik dumper is the Mooroka? Got that one in my pile somewhere. How is it to build?

Greg
Old 09-28-2021, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
yup....I've used paper, card, cardboard, plastic sheet and tube, dowels (plastic and wood), acetate and clear plastics, metal wire, metal chain, string, thread, pre-made wooden wheels, pre-formed plastic canopies, and so on...

Contrary to what some think, I do not have any issues with multi-media models.

As modelperry says "Build how you want to build."

I just hate it when someone claims it to be a real "paper" model,
and doesn't admit its chock full of putty, primer, paint and all those other materials.
(re Michael's earlier post)
Old 09-28-2021, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Whatever floats your boat, Richard.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
I don't think any of us here is a paper police. I did meet a few who take this as a personal challenge, but would never order others to do the same. I respect those kinds of purists.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
A quick and easy answer, check out several airplane models in the aviation section.

How many out of say ten viewed use clear plastic for the canopy?

I use what ever works. My models aren't scale models, they have been modified to fly. They are look-a-likes.

On my rubber band powered models, used to make the tires out of cardstock. They just don't hold up. Using R/C size foam tires now.

Here at PM they haven't run me off yet; for using other than paper for my projects...

Working on one now that will use electricity for lights. Another will use regular unleaded for fuel. A paper fuel tank just isn't going to work..

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 09-28-2021 at 07:22 PM. Reason: regular
Google Adsense