PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-29-2022, 09:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.34 MB
As painful as it is to scrap a project. Doing so frees the mind to work on something else. I just tossed the third attempt of a coast guard model. I like the model, but what I had didn't look that great and I am very limited on space. so the word is ... Next.. I still have the file if I change my mind. Letting go is hard, but every model does not work out.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
I watched your thread. When I saw the date the model was produced (2000) I had my doubts about its accuracy. These early models are not even close to what Halinski produced later. I think I built most of them, but I scrapped the early ones one by one because of designer's mistakes. This may perhaps comfort you if you decide to scrap the build after all. :-)
Old 11-30-2022, 06:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
I've encountered this a few times. Building card models is not always easy, and the only way I know to learn it is to do it. If I like the design and am unhappy with my build, i will usually finish the model as sort of a "rehersal" for another attempt. That way I can work out ways to deal with chellenging parts of the build. My second attempt is almost always much better as a result.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 117.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhovi View Post
I watched your thread. When I saw the date the model was produced (2000) I had my doubts about its accuracy. These early models are not even close to what Halinski produced later. I think I built most of them, but I scrapped the early ones one by one because of designer's mistakes. This may perhaps comfort you if you decide to scrap the build after all. :-)
Thank you for your words - I've heard the same about Halinski's earlier kits. That said, there is a build thread on this forum showing a beautiful result for this kit, so it is doable. Mine is coming along pretty well now that I've started working on it again and worked out a few kinks. I'll share more details in my build thread later today or tomorrow when I post another update

I have a Halinski (I think?) kit from 1995 that doesn't have many parts so I may just try it for practice at some point. That said I am grateful that it seems most kit manufacturers have worked out a lot of these issues and a lot of newer kits are fantastic
Old 11-30-2022, 11:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Great Question!

When designing, reach a spot that is difficult. Go on to something else, eventually will find the right answer by working on other designs.

If building a new design, and issue develop, sometimes it is best to start the design over. When this happens a few times, very frustrating to continue. Will turn into a universal crumpled up, round flying object and try for two points, sometimes three if the nearest landing zone is more than 10 feet away.

One of the best answers would be this thread: https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/...gs-we-do-make/

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2022, 07:27 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Some get set aside for another try later, some get recycled. It depends on the model, the difficulty, and my mood. I can't say I have ever regretted scrapping a model.