PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-19-2022, 10:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 117.37 MB
What do you do when you're sick of a model?

Hello!

The title is basically it. I'm about halfway done with Halinski's F-117A and while it's been generally enjoyable, the cockpit doesn't fit quite right and I did a crappy job with the formers. Part of me wants to tough it out and see if I can make something great out of it. I've also been working on some plastic models, but I'm finding that painting them is so tedious and I'm more interested in card.

That said, I have a stack of paper models, some small and some very large that I want to do. Every time I look at the stack, I'm tempted to toss the Nighthawk and start one of them.

What do you fine folks do in this situation? Thanks

Andrew
Google Adsense
Old 11-19-2022, 11:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Getting tired of a particular model happens all the time. When I hit that particular wall, I put the model and assorted parts somewhere safe, and pick another model to work on. Eventually, I won't be sick of that model anymore, and I can get back to it.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
You are doing this for fun. If you don't like it any more, scrap it. You have no other obligation than to experience pleasure in building.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Those are the options you have. I personally scrap all my failures just because I don't have space to store them for possible future (and very much unlikely) comeback.

Tappi
Old 11-20-2022, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
I have a few simpler model ideas ready in the wings if I get bored or stuck with a big build. I've been lucky so far and always got models to a stage that they look presentable even if abandoned half way - start with the most important parts and work in to ever finer detail.
Google Adsense
Old 11-20-2022, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Dazliare. I think how you proceed has much to do with your experiences in paper modeling. I would recommend to a beginner to power through and quickly finish the model. There will be much to learn by your collection of mistakes. And while it may sound harsh, there are no lessons better remembered than failure. You won’t like the finished product, but the completion of a difficult model, no matter how poorly done, is a success in its own way. Your next model will be better.

As for the more experienced modeler, I find that tossing any project to be a hard thing to do, but I have done it. There are many reasons to abandon a paper model…poor execution, bad part fit, boredom, time. But if it is a subject that you truly want to build, you’ll work around the problems and find a way. I find great satisfaction in figuring out how to navigate through the designer’s errors, the printer’s registration problems and questionable actions of my own ten thumbs to build a clean, straight, paper model.

Best of luck,

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 11-20-2022, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 117.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb Dog View Post
Hi All,

And hi, Dazliare. I think how you proceed has much to do with your experiences in paper modeling. I would recommend to a beginner to power through and quickly finish the model. There will be much to learn by your collection of mistakes. And while it may sound harsh, there are no lessons better remembered than failure. You won’t like the finished product, but the completion of a difficult model, no matter how poorly done, is a success in its own way. Your next model will be better.

As for the more experienced modeler, I find that tossing any project to be a hard thing to do, but I have done it. There are many reasons to abandon a paper model…poor execution, bad part fit, boredom, time. But if it is a subject that you truly want to build, you’ll work around the problems and find a way. I find great satisfaction in figuring out how to navigate through the designer’s errors, the printer’s registration problems and questionable actions of my own ten thumbs to build a clean, straight, paper model.

Best of luck,

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
I feel like you put into words what I was thinking. Others have pointed out that this is a hobby we do for fun, so scrap and move on is a logical option. We also don't have unlimited time. That said, I am still pretty new to the hobby, and I have several models that I think most would call "quite advanced" so more practice is always helpful. It's also a subject that I absolutely love.

So all that said, I think I've decided to at least try to tough it out. If I can get the skin to fit on the jet I should be able to get a result I'm happy with. I did create a build thread on this forum for it but I'm not very good about updating my progress. Maybe I can catch that thread up to my current progress and ask for help as I run into question

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-20-2022, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
I find that paper modelling is fun; I wouldn't do it otherwise. But, in my case at least, it also involves some anguish, mostly for the reasons outlined by Thumb Dog. It's par for the course. So yes, go on, tough it out: you'll be pleased that you did. Good Luck!
Old 11-21-2022, 04:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
I'm a beginner, so I still have to do a lot of mistakes...
Probably for this reason, at the moment I prefer models that I can complete in a fairly short period, and also because I (still) have no space to store my models in progress. I started Greelt's Saturn V 1:48, but I had to stop after the thruster structure, the interstage ring, the six J-2 engines, and a few more parts... maybe one day I will resume working on it.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.29 MB
Smile

Build another model.
Google Adsense