PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-15-2022, 05:47 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Down She Goes

It's frustrating to spend hours on a model kit and then give it up unfinished because it's too difficult due to poor fit, vague instructions, and spending far more time hunting for parts than assembling them.

If it a kit is no fun to build, what's the point? But it's still discouraging to have to abandon a project after one has put hours of work into it. I like a challenge. I enjoy building kits that push the limits of my skills and make me a better modeler. But missing parts, poor fit, and inadequate instructions are not the kind of challenge I am looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Down She Goes-sinking-feeling.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-15-2022, 06:25 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Okay.....
Nice pic tho!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 12-15-2022, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
I would guess that many of us have had this experience, I know I have. It's bad enough if the kit was a free download, but even worse if it's one you had to buy! As discouraging as it can be, I try to learn from it and move on.
I agree though, it's supposed to be fun, if you're not having fun, it's a waste of time. Hope your next one works out better! Love the picture!

Bob

Last edited by OgdenBob; 12-15-2022 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Better wording
Old 12-16-2022, 09:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrison View Post
It's frustrating to spend hours on a model kit and then give it up unfinished because it's too difficult due to poor fit, vague instructions, and spending far more time hunting for parts than assembling them.

If it a kit is no fun to build, what's the point? But it's still discouraging to have to abandon a project after one has put hours of work into it. I like a challenge. I enjoy building kits that push the limits of my skills and make me a better modeler. But missing parts, poor fit, and inadequate instructions are not the kind of challenge I am looking for.
While his kits may have gotten better due to online instructions...your experience was also the case for me, with Uhu's Ironman figure and Blade Runner Blaster models.
Two of Uhu's much earlier designs, they were overly complicated designs with absolutely no Instructions of any kind.
In fact, the online photos of the assembled models were small and not clear or helpful.

Its was highly disappointing for me since both kits (at the time) were a joy to find
and my excitement at building them was extremely high.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:08 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
While his kits may have gotten better due to online instructions...your experience was also the case for me, with Uhu's Ironman figure and Blade Runner Blaster models.
Two of Uhu's much earlier designs, they were overly complicated designs with absolutely no Instructions of any kind.
In fact, the online photos of the assembled models were small and not clear or helpful.

Its was highly disappointing for me since both kits (at the time) were a joy to find
and my excitement at building them was extremely high.
The kit I just abandoned was NOT one of UhuO2's kits. It was an older kit from Modelik. I have built several of Uhu02's kits -- LEM, Aries, and Viper -- and have always found his assembly photos adequate to the task.
Google Adsense
Old 12-16-2022, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
I just had a conversation with my ten year-old after suggesting we burn my Kilo Class submarine in the fireplace. I really thought he'd be excited about it.
"NO!! You built that."
"I can't finish it without a lot more design work. I got tired of it and want to move on."
"You'll come back to it dad. It doesn't take up "THAT" much room."

Think he's worried that I'll give up raising him? Hahah kids get weird about that stuff these days. I tried to tell him about how I'd put Estes engines in my airplanes that I didn't finish at his age. He was having none of it.

I get you David. When a project becomes no fun, I know I'm not going finish it - circular file time.
Old 12-16-2022, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrison View Post
The kit I just abandoned was NOT one of UhuO2's kits. It was an older kit from Modelik. I have built several of Uhu02's kits -- LEM, Aries, and Viper -- and have always found his assembly photos adequate to the task.

okay okay...I didn't say, or assume your kit was one of Uhu's.
And the kits you speak of are all newer Uhu kits.
My similar experience (of not finishing a kit due to its lacking) was with one of his(Uhu's) earliest kits (as I said).
And there were no assembly photos.
Sorry I got involved.