PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-12-2023, 07:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Printers

I need a moment to rant. To vent.
I presume most of us have a love-hate understanding with our printers. They are an undeniable necessity to our hobbies unless you only build pre-printed kits. And most of us don't.
I loved my Brother MFC J5320 when I just got it. The prints did have a great quality and it was very adequate in processing thicker paper types. I handled it with care and maybe even respectfully. But the machine started acting up about a year ago. Suddenly it started to suffer from non-existent paper jams.

Now, I know it has to do with the over-sensitive sensors that notice the presence of the paper tray and that bending the paper guides in the tray can help. And most of the time I am a patient man. But the printer doesn't work as long as I do not follow its procedures of removing the tray, opening the scan lid and remove non-existent paper and all that. Whatever I do, it still thinks the paper is jammed. The first few times I tried my best and handled the machine carefully. But there are limits to the amount of times I am prepared to follow that useless procedure and bending the paper guides a little to get the buggered machine moving again.

Eventually I got fed up. I have gone a bit ballistic on the machine before and it miraculously survived that attack. But not this time. I really destroyed it now. It is dead. There are visible things that actually are broken now. I just couldn't care less. The machine deserved nothing better. Aargh.

I need a printer to keep on doing this hobby I like.

So now my question is: what do I buy now? I would like something without having to buy expensive brand cartridges, preferably refillable ink tanks, A3 capability (by hand-feeding) would be a nice option, and HP is out of the question. Any advice?
Old 03-12-2023, 07:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
I might suggest an Epson Eco-Tank printer if your looking for an inkjet. The prices are not to bad and the ink is not overly expensive. The results ive had with the machine have been great. Good luck in your search. Ed
Old 03-12-2023, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Ditto Ed's comment, I use Epson Eco-tank printer and it's fine for my needs.

Tappi
Old 03-17-2023, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the advice. After some more research I have decided on an Epson Ink Tank 2825 which has arrived just an hour ago.
A remarkable light printer compared to the last one.
In a couple of days, I'll report back on my findings.

Thanks friends!
Old 03-17-2023, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Can't wait to hear what you think PK. I have a hate relationship with the HP Deskjet 4100 my wife bought to supplement the Epson Stylus 1400 we've had for years. That was a good printer that was special for large format photo prints and contributed to some amazing blacks. But, for the 6 cartridges it was about $80-120 and just couldn't keep that going. Hoping to add something to my sometime soon list.
Google Adsense
Old 03-17-2023, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 671.41 MB
When my printer indicates a nonexistent paper jam, I find that throwing it against our concrete basement floor solves the problem. I’ll be interested to hear about your new printer.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
I have an apparently common issue with my HP CP1515n laser printer, which is also a non-existant jam when printing multiple pages. A lot of my regular printing requires a manual duplex, so it's not a huge problem, but it takes extra time to order it to print one page at a time. It does seem to be quite happy with reconditioned toner cartridges though.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:34 AM

I haven't unwrapped it yet, because I am nursing quite a heavy cold. (no, it isn't covid, I tested.) I am not in a state to start installing printer drivers and all that, but I have taken it out of its cardboard package. I found it was remarkably light for a printer. The Brother I destroyed, had a paper feed installation on top so that might have made it a lot bulkier and heavier.
About that one, I am only sorry for the wasted ink. I recently installed a big black cartridge which could have lasted me a long time but well, that is the price you pay for aggression, I guess.

I won't be trying to mix it with the new ink bottles, it might be from another consistency all together and clog the system. Besides, it might be a messy undertaking.

Paper jams in Brother printers apparently occur when the sensors near the paper tray do not have a good contact with the paper guides in the tray. You need to bend the guides a little to regain contact but this also can get you into more trouble. So well, I'd say to printer manufacturers to get their sensors sorted out better and create a reliable product for once...
Old 03-18-2023, 03:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
The other issue with inkjets is that the waste ink reservoir (with it's sponge) will eventually get filled and the only cure is change the contaption or clean it DIY. I was told that if you keep the printer on all the time the reservoir don't fill up that fast. The starting and shutting down procedures apparently squirt some ink through the nozzles. I've had my Epson up and running 24/7 for nearly one year and I haven't had any problems.Mine is Epson ET-2720 WiFi, a predecessor of your printer.

Tappi
Old 03-18-2023, 05:14 AM

I have had my Brother printer "on" 24-7 too. And it has always been ready. Just that paper jam thing was getting on my nerves. And I really wanted to have a cheaper way of using ink, without those cartridges. I know they still overcharge us big time and I still despise every printer making firm for it.

In the meantime I have taken some paracetamol and I started to feel a little better, so I installed the printer. It works. It prints. It is a little slower than the Brother. But the print is crisp and clean. I don't mind the speed that much but it is a noisy little bugger. "Silent mode", my foot.