PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 04-18-2023, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
A bit drained, I guess.

It appears I am struggling a bit with the hobby. I do still make paper models and working on them clears my mind in a certain way but the end results to me are too below par to show here.
It bothers me. Because I do like making stuff and I do like to tackle a bigger project. And make something impressive and beautiful.

And while I look at you all making great models (oh how jealous I am looking at that marvellous locomotive that is POTM right now... What a magnificent piece of work...) I just put together the umpteenth unsatisfying little this-and-that. And it's not because I am uninspired.

My work (only three full days per week at the office and one half day at home) apparently is enough to more or less drain me from the rest of my creative juices. I do not have a lot of creativity left in me. And although I do like my job, I miss my paper model stuff. Just so you know.
Old 04-18-2023, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
It's probably not unusual to go through periods when we feel a lack of energy, or even feele discouraged for what seems like quite awhile. I know I go through those times, myself. But eventually, the drive comes back and you are ready to get back at it, feeling energetic and creative again.

So allow yourself time to "recharge your batteries", understand people go through this... and then one day you'll see something you feel excited about building, and you will happily dive in again!

Best regards,
Kurt
Old 04-20-2023, 03:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
I recognize your feeling.... it's like your a sportsman who is out of shape. Don't worry, the inspiration will come back. Don't compare your skills to others I'd say, have confident in your own ones. It's not a competition .

Cheers,
Erik
Old 04-20-2023, 11:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
We ALL go through dry spells. Authors have “writers’ block” and modelers have the same. In the past, I’ve gone a year or more without being inspired to build anything. It’ll come back.

You once mentioned doing a diorama of Scott Crossfield’s heavy landing in 66670 on mission 2-3-9. Michelle Evans has some great photos of the landing and aftermath on her website. There’s also a curious thing about the rear fuselage on 66670 on that one; in some photos, it appears silverish and in others it is black. I’ve not yet found anyone who can explain what’s going on. It’s not a trick of light because in photos where it appears silver, the rest ofvthe vehicle is clearly black.

That would be a diorama right up your alley….
Attached Thumbnails
A bit drained, I guess.-281cd5b0-ed21-48e2-a4ce-5d5fedec3ba1.jpg   A bit drained, I guess.-5d4a3dc1-df63-45f6-a491-04cd6a8fac3b.jpg  
Old 04-20-2023, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
No worries PK, I get you and know the feeling so well myself. But remember always stay true to what you really like doing so my advice to you is that you browse through your history here (I just did that). Space Oddity, Tucker dio, Tardis, Mir - just to name a few. You are truly one of the 'originals' if you ask me and I've enjoyed*your*work so*much. And that fab documentary of Dutch space adventures. Need I say more.

Tappi
Google Adsense
Old 04-20-2023, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Don't worry about it, mate. You don't have to come up with museum quality models all of the time if you don't want to. Take it easy for a bit.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:34 PM

Thank you all so much.
It really means a lot to read these reactions.

This dry spell in creativity feels like I lost an old friend. I now am a bit more reassured it will return.

@ Tappi: Later on this year, somewhere in september, I will place a link here on the forum for you all to watch the complete English subtitled version of the ANS - documentary). Promise!
Old 04-20-2023, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Designing/Building? Sometimes when I get tired of taking a too long break, but still not enough feeling to actually pick a model and start building again, try to remember a drawing that was only partially completed, will get to thinking what it would be like to finish the design and build.

Eventually picturing the finished model in the mind's eye, I'll get excited about building again. Now excited to get both done, usually lasts approx. 4-months before doing something else.

I have many projects around the house to keep me going. Couple welding projects next, just like paper modeling except instant dry glue.

Don't know if it will work, but if you have a model that you would really like to see finished, picture it in your mind, you might get the desire to build it to compare views....

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 04-20-2023 at 09:15 PM. Reason: done
Old 04-21-2023, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
(...) if you have a model that you would really like to see finished, picture it in your mind, you might get the desire to build it to compare views....

Mike

This is what I always do.. I have dozens of sketch books laying around with sketches and drawings of models and possible changes or positions to put them in. it is part of my process of understanding the 3D shape of the model. I originate from an art academy background and I was working in 2d all my life until I discovered paper modeling.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
This is what I always do.. I have dozens of sketch books laying around with sketches and drawings of models and possible changes or positions to put them in. it is part of my process of understanding the 3D shape of the model. I originate from an art academy background and I was working in 2d all my life until I discovered paper modeling.
Not from an Art Academy, 2-yrs of AutoCAD training at a community college. Took 3D courses as an elective. This was ACAD R14; 2000 versions.

Todays 3D operations have changed, now learning feature base modeling in ACAD Inventor 2019.

All of my modeling work has been 2D, so like you say, picturing it in the mind, helps with the hard to figure parts, and getting them to fit properly to the main build.

Mike
Google Adsense