PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-14-2024, 05:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
What's your preferred level of difficulty?

I would be interested to know what level of difficulty everyone prefers when choosing a model. What do you usually do as an average project and what is the maximum you would be prepared to take on? The tiers suggested below are not comprehensive: for example I would rate Pogoria as a 4+ as despite having many elements in 5, the kit has several sections that are pretty easy and much of scratchbuilding work is not that technically challenging. Also, this natually doesn't include majority scratchbuilt projects since those are at the discretion of the creator.

Also, do we think the indicated difficulty levels on published kits are accurate for what is asked of the builder?

0 - Super easy "2.5D" kits with flat surfaces and slot-together construction
1 - 3D but basic overall shape and large parts with overlapping glue tabs, 10-20 parts and no interior Eg simpler trains on Canon site, easier S&P

2 - Simpler kits with smaller parts down to ~1cm, possibly internal glue tabs, butt joins, basic formers. Eg NOBI, Texmod or most S&P 1/100

3 - Part count up to a hundred, a modest number of very small parts, smaller scales, possibly simple interiors. Eg Murph's, Fitters, Draco

4 - Part count over a hundred, smallest parts around 5mm, lasercut parts available, some easier scratchbuilding required, but most parts larger and overall kit size moderate Eg Marek 1:33 fighters and some easier GPM or Maly
4+ As above but kit is large or detailed eg JSC ships

5 - Highly complex and detailed kits with extensive formers requiring close accuracy, parts that require complex shaping and placement, smallest parts down to a few millimeters, rolling tiny tubes. Eg Halinski aircraft or Modelik steam locos
5+ - as above but the kit is particularly large, and/or requires significant amount of scratchbuilding and technical skills such as making ship rigging, wire parts or vacuforming canopy, instructions are vague or poor
Google Adsense
Old 01-14-2024, 08:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Murph, Nobi, Bruno, DGA aircraft - probably 3.

WayneMac vehicles - probably also 3.

Don
Old 01-14-2024, 10:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
My preferred scale was 1:50, something like Nobi, Marek, Kampfflieger (aka Roman) etc. Also scaled down old Maly kits.

Over time factors like my eyes and hands not cooperating and lack of space pushed me closer to 1:100 scale S&P models upscaled closer to 1:72.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
There are some design criteria dictated by the specific application of the attended model.
You essentially "have to know your market" from a design standpoint.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Lately, I have had little time, so I generally tend to build easier builds 1 to 3 in your scale. Figures by Tennpepakura, Muumin, and PinoArt. Vehicles and Buildings by Christopher Roe, Glenn Williams, Dave Graffam and PaperCruiser
Google Adsense
Old 01-14-2024, 10:58 AM

You reminded me, Karol - Also Marek and Roman (der kampfflieger).

And for similar reasons, my favorite scales for airplanes are 1/72 and 1/50 (1/100 for multiengined aircraft), 1/48-1/50 and 1/32 for vehicles.

I love model ships, but am resigned to my own limitations, so will probably continue vicariously to enjoy watching other people's builds, although I might try a WayneMac/Gerry or Paper shipwright model again sometime.

Don
Old 01-14-2024, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
I take on any kit that interests me and accept whatever challenges it presents. My present attitude is to have several copies on hand so that it is possible to add a little more dimension to the build if it lends itself to any such additions.

Derek
Old 01-14-2024, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Always like problem solving, puzzles and other things that need thought out, I'll take the highest level, IF the parts fit.

Don't fit, it will end up in universal round shape for dunking/net only garbage can throws.

Been thinking of printing a full size airplane. That might be a challenge of note. 18feet long with 13.5ft wingspan. I've printed rocket models 14feet long. Be the best way to flight test my idea; I just spent $16,000 USD for a power source for the real airplane. The ten foot tall Saturn V rocket I did years ago has a bigger diameter fuselage.....Could be the best way to figure the cockpit layout. Retract landing (PVC) gear etc.. Flight control hookups using PVC pipe. Have a perfect sized living room to display if I remove the furniture.

Cardboard might allow sitting in it for fit testing and human made airplane noises.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-14-2024 at 12:05 PM. Reason: noises
Old 01-14-2024, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
When asked "how many sugars in your coffee?"
I always say "thirteen"

"but don't stir it, because I don't like it too sweet"

I like my models so incredibly difficult that I will choose to leave them in the package.
Less shelf space required that way.

Or, so easy that they build themselves.
I can be very lazy.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:29 PM

Add airdave's models to my list of preferred designers (sorry for accidentaly leaving you off my list, Dave, and thanks for all the great models and support to the paper modelign community).

Don
Google Adsense