PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 50.77 MB
Unauthorized Models on Facebook

I joined the (Pirate group name deleted) Facebook group and quickly saw that it was full of paper model kits posted without permission of the copyright holders. I posted a message to the members of the group stating in the most delicate of terms how instead of stealing from those who create paper models we should be grateful and support those who support our hobby. My post was removed and I have been temporarily banned from the group. I have messaged FB about the situation but I don't expect much to be done. I have emailed some whose work had been posted in the group.

Is this a battle worth fighting or just something that goes with the territory?

Should more people message FB and alert them of what's going on?

Last edited by Texman; 02-21-2024 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Remove pirate group name
Google Adsense
Old 02-20-2024, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I recently started following that Facebook site and was pretty appalled by the models they are posting. They all look like pirated kits (or at least, bought scanned then posted). Anyhoo, it is just not cool.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I just recently found out somebody has been sharing a (badly) pirated version of my An-225 on a YouTube video showing a stop motion assembly of the model. They'd removed all of the text and instructional diagrams, so half the comments on the video were "your instructions are really bad". I posted a comment saying the link with the video was to a pirated model, and the legitimate model came with full text and image instructions. Good thing about YouTube is that I can submit a copyright claim against the video.
Old 02-20-2024, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 84.35 MB
Angry What a shame to trust some 'designers' too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I just recently found out somebody has been sharing a (badly) pirated version of my An-225 on a YouTube video showing a stop motion assembly of the model. They'd removed all of the text and instructional diagrams, so half the comments on the video were "your instructions are really bad". I posted a comment saying the link with the video was to a pirated model, and the legitimate model came with full text and image instructions. Good thing about YouTube is that I can submit a copyright claim against the video.
THAT'S why that model seemed incomplete in the PDF! There weren't even any glue tabs included and many parts that made up the folding front ramp were missing.

I regret to say I trusted that 'designer' a little to much and downloaded the PDF mistakenly believing that it was an authorized (but incomplete? Why? Now I know why...) copy; most of what they show on the channel are free-to-build models. To me it seemed like a mere graphical improvement.
If I could go back in time and take back whatever internet traffic/exposure they could have gotten from my download, I would; luckily I deleted my copy a while ago after realizing it was incomplete.

A shame that I now have to judge some of my favorite designers (who are good friends with this now-pirate) with scrutiny.

I apologize dearly for unknowingly supporting illegal copies of your models, Aaron; I'll be obtaining that 1:100 Mriya legally within due time.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Same here, I saw that video, assumed it was another genuinely free model, and saved it. We'll delete it ASAP, although realistically I wasn't going to build such a giant any time soon. I recall thinking that it looked rather like MM's version but there was some small difference.

It is common on paper model groups on FB to have people openly or implicitly demanding the templates of kits and invariably getting abusive when you patiently explain that you don't give out copyrighted work and this doesn't align with their entitlement. The FB group for this forum isn't so bad but most social media is a cesspool and it's billionaire owners have little interest in enforcing anything beyond what will hurt them, it's all clicks and data they can harvest. I have cut down a lot on my use in general and how much I post of build logs there, partly because of this behaviour and partly because seeing I got x number of blue thumbs and hearts or a few semi-literate comments (or entirely in languages I don't read) isn't what I consider meaningful engagement. Slight tangent, but I read and hear a lot of evidence that many YouTube ads are for scams of one kind of another, and whilst Google Play store works to remove apps for them YT actively encourages ads for the very same apps and ignores them being flagged!
Google Adsense
Old 02-20-2024, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.57 GB
Meanwhile I'm trying to report a pirate seller on Etsy, and they make it well nigh impossible. You either have to contact the seller first or personally be the content creator. Even going through a live chat support person (seemed like a real person) didn't help. Etsy really doesn't want to address people ripping other people off.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
facebook does allow reporting of any page or group
and because of their strict policies now, may actually do something about it.

I concur that you should report them. The more reports, the better.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
I have deleted the accidentally acquired Antonov - but I opened the file before doing so and it even has a badly spelled header saying 'Original design: Murph's Models'. So this individual has taken a file and somehow thinks it's ok to pirate distribute it because they've stated who the designer is!
Old 02-21-2024, 06:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Simply placing a copyright notice on the work only holds that the copyright is pending but to be protected, you actually have to file it with the library of congress.

If you have a legal, legitimate copyright, get a lawyer, problem solved, it's only $50 to get it and it is, "worth it's weight in gold", I would highly advise every designer to take the extra measure to make sure that your work is protected.

(you either protect your work or you don't, it's a "binary" choice)

Yeah... sure... the notice is meant to protect you UNTIL you get the copyright but if anything happens before then, you are going to have a, "hard hill to climb" without that legal document, WITH that legal document, it's a "slam-dunk" at which any lawyer would jump on for the, "opportunity" for, "retribution" (yours and his).

In 40 years, all of my, "greatest rewards" have been directly derived from "leveraging" copyrights, of far more value to some than realized model sales.

Last edited by FRD; 02-21-2024 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
"library of Congress" = copyright office

Tags
copyright, pirate