PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-15-2024, 10:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.57 GB
Odd F-14 feature: function?

So I'm working on an upscale and recolor of the 1/300 Scissors and Planes F-14 plan (actually starting with a 1/200 recolor by cafe), and I ran across a feature on the real F-14 that has me scratching my head. Between the engine inlet and the forebody, there's a gap to let the forebody's boundary layer air bypass the inlet. Makes sense so far, it's common practice. The gap is bridged by the "pancake" portion of the fuselage, starting with a sharp edge at the front. Still makes sense. But as the forebody's lower surface merges into the pancake, all of a sudden there's a square panel facing head on. (Here's another view from below, with the panel in question at top. And an oblique view from a distance. One more view from below.) The panel is seemingly perpendicular to the airflow. WTF? Anyone know why Grumman made it like that? Seems like a nonsensically draggy thing to do.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
This is non-expert speculation, but I read that like a number of fourth generation fighters the Tomcat's fuselage was designed to have some degree of lifting-body action. It would therefore make sense for these 'brick' parts to function like fully dropped flaps on the trailing edge of a wing, especially as you can see they are set back from the leading edge of the actual wing root.

I'm sure someone on here will have more expert insight.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.57 GB
Fair speculation... I messaged the proprietor of the M.A.T.S. F-14 website, and he pointed out that the vent just below and aft of the panel in question is the heat exchanger intake for cooling aircraft systems, so airflow disturbance by the panel could be intentional in order to set the heat exchanger intake conditions. I could see that: the panel could create a pocket of slow air that's consistent regardless of aircraft speed. If that's the case, it still seems like an excessively draggy way of going about it!
Old 03-17-2024, 01:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Spotted that on some cutaways too. My initial thought was that it might be some kind of airflow cooling, except that there was no vent or obvious radiator surface facing forward. And I guess the flap theory would also hold even if this surface was faired at an angle.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Have you tried asking at Aviation Stack Exchange ?
Google Adsense

Tags
aerodynamics, detail, f-14, prototype