PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 05-22-2024, 06:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Ouch that hurts

Now that I got your attention.....

For whatever reason (general observation, mini rant, stirring of the pot, etc.), I have been musing about advice given or received. It is my firm belief to only give advice when solicited. I'm sure I have broken this belief, in which case I am sorry.

I post my build threads here and on Facebook. I DO NOT provide details of obstacles on Facebook as my audience does not care. I do provide details here when relevant. I will advise on when I have deviated from a stock build to add detail or fix an issue that I have had.

What I don't do is go overboard (my opinion) and add steps I find unnecessary or overly cumbersome. Most of my models are not destined for museums.

If you are one to add extra reinforcement because that's your thing, more power to you. If you edge color absolutely every part, more power to you. If you redesign parts just because, more power to you. I'll read your threads and take your advice within and apply as I find warranted.

On occasion i may need some advice and I'll ask for it. And i appreciate the advice i receive and consider it carefully. What bothers me is when someone gives me unsolicited advice on building the models I am working on when I didn't ask for such.

If this comes off mean spirited in any way, I apologize. I am just indicating my preferences and opinions.

I'm not even sure why I started this thread, maybe just to vent a little.

I don't know.

OK off my soap box and back into my mancave.....

Greg
Old 05-22-2024, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Greg, I know you have been receptive to unsolicited suggestions in the past.
Suggestions that are obviously easy to implement, or suggestions on how to fix something that is a problem.
So its not like you will not take advice.

I always got the impression that you build basically OOB (out of box).
In other words, its not your goal to augment the model or build it to any award winning standard.
To me, your goal has always seemed to be "get er done and tackle the next one".
But thats no negative opinion on your build skills.

I'm okay with this, but maybe someone who doesn't know your method has misunderstood and commented in such a way as to annoy you?
I don't know what circumstance sparked your ire... ire, I myself, never have this problem...but it will pass.
I love the fact that you can delete comments on facebook!

One of my favorite things about forums like this, is the opportunity to dust off that soapbox and rant a little.

Do you think any kids today even know what a soapbox is?
They'd probably just say "some boomer keeps his soap in a box? And now he's ranting and raving about it again."
Dumb millenials.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:17 AM

Dave,

Yes I tend to build OOB, got too many projects and no desire to reinvent anything. I do go a little beyond on my "long term" builds, but those projects have way too many parts and fit issues, even though they are of subjects I really cherish (aka my tank transporter models).

In this case, what set me off was a comment that I should do XYZ to improve results, when I didn't even indicate I was having any sort of trouble in that area.

I indicated minor fit issues that had no relation to the advice subsequently provided. 🤦*♂️

Yeah, OK, not relevant advice, leave me alone errant posting person.

I had a similar in person exchange with someone on Sunday about one of your favorite topics, Dave: Religion. 🙃 I was being told i wasn't thinking correctly, and i just didn't feel like having such a debate. So that is probably what started my current mindset and subsequent rant.

It doesn't help that I've had a lot of other personal crap on my mind lately.

So here I am ranting away.

Thanks for your comments Dave, I always enjoy your comments. Many are quite entertaining. Especially when the butterfly boat makes an appearance....🤪

Greg
Old 05-22-2024, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
I post less and less on Facebook including the paper model groups. I can work on a model for months and take care to show how I did any parts that others may be interested to know and ask about on here, and all I get is some thumbs and hearts and maybe a gif meme. Almost never any constructive or insightful comments. And yes sometimes some internet expert will take time out to tell you what in their unresearched opinion is wrong. One time I labelled a Ukrainian jet in a picture a 'Mikoyen MiG-29' and I got told by a random member some Ukrainians were mad because I'd not mentioned Mikhail Gurevich. Don't those guys have enough work right now shooting at Russians? Another one told me the colour of a Yak was wrong when I literally have a photo of it in exactly that colour. (Maybe it's something about Russian aircraft that sets them off?) Then there are the scroungers who on almost every model post demand in semi-literate Inglish a pirate copy of it 'template plz?' The only thing that site is good for is sending pdf files to beta testers and messaging with them for feedback if we don't have each other on phone messaging apps.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:17 AM

Lightbulb

Hi Siwi,

I understand your points, they are all valid.

When I post on Facebook, it is usually to my own page. I have many non-model building friends that like to follow along. I do not post my stuff on other groups often. When I do it's usually to plastic model pages to show them that there are other media available. Mostly, reception has been positive.

I tend to avoid the paper model FB pages for the exact reasons you state.

Greg